Dream Dispatcher

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Tac channels are no more private than primary channels. I know when they got a bunch of tac channels here long long ago everyone got giddy and thought that they couldn't be picked up by scanners... which they soon discovered was not the case. Tac channels are good for separating out traffic so you don't have people fighting for air... they are not good for confidential or sensitive transmissions. Sending a message via CAD is usually the best route for this kind of stuff but the firefighters aren't nearly as good at checking those as the cops are.

Yes I am well aware of the purpose of TAC channels and now here did I say they are private. The theory is it takes info off the main channel...with the usual amount of radio traffic, someone who is monitoring the main channel would have to be listening pretty close to then ascertain the info from the tac channel and put it with the correct call they heard on main.

Impossible? No not at all. Pain in the *** and unlikely...very.

Again, you have no defense for anything when you utilize non official means of communications. There is zero proof that you did or did not do anything.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
We have TAC channels we assign our units to on every call they run, so they don't tie up air. But, our TAC channels are not repeated- therefore I cannot transmit to or hear the units over 2 to 3 miles away.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
My only issue I've had w/ dispatch is that they call over the radio changes that are made w/o updating the pagers. We have 3 radios to our unit. Not everyone has a radio. Only crew cheifs have them and since I'm not a crew cheif, all I have is a pager. It would help tremendously to know I'm walking into a code when I arrive POV as opposed to "man down/unconcious".

I did have one incident that irritated the bejeebuz out of me though. Page came through, I live 3 blocks from the station and since I was already in uniform I hopped into the car and jetted over to the station. Less than a minute had passed from first dispatch and suddenly on the pager comes this message..."this is 2nd time called U! Where R U?!"

First it wasn't the second dispatch if you don't send it to the pagers, secondly, since when does dispatch use chat speak? I found it highly inappropriate.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
deleted.

Last edited by a moderator: