Drag/lift test during an interview?

Mya

Forum Crew Member
Hi! I was wondering if anyone knew what to expect for a drag/lift test during an interview. My instructor for the emt class never had us do any pt drags so I'm just a little curious about what I might have to do and unless it's a "Surprise! Show us how you'd drag someone" test, I don't want to look completely clueless. Thanks! Also, I'm applying to McCormick.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'd imagine you could expect to drag something for the drag portion, and pick something up and put it down for the lift portion. Unless you're in CO or WA... Then drag might take on a different meaning...

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
Start working out at the gym if your are worried about it. Google it.

phideux

Forum Captain
Easiest test around, just use your paramedic delegation powers. Hey Fireguy, come drag this guy out for me, or Hey EMT lift this pt into the back of the rig for me.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
^except McCormick is the BLS agency for the medics to delegate stuff too :p

It's literally just a weighted sandbar built to be more or less human sized and shaped, and it has handles on it. They are not looking for technique in this step, well unless yours is simply so horrendous that you'll hurt yourself doing it lol. All they want to see in this test is whether or not you are physically strong enough to drag that weight around the room (afterwards the dummy will become your patient for the assessment test so don't get so winded you can't talk your way through one). Just remember basic lifting techniques (applicable to EMS, lifting weights in the gym, working in a warehouse, moving your furniture etc) keep your back straight, lift with your knees not your back, and for this specific dummy, grab the handles and bring it up to your chest, easier to control that way (they'll give you some quick tips/pointers right before if you need them as well)

OP
OP
Mya

Mya

Forum Crew Member
Thanks all! I was just wondering about if I'd have to do it on the first day/ what I'll have to lift haha. Thanks!

beaucait

Forum Crew Member
How much was your lift test for? Mine was a 300 lb stretcher, obviously with someone helping me

beaucait

Forum Crew Member
They are changing the lift test where I took my lift test and failed because apparently a lot of different people are failing. It wasn't like it was hard, the person who was lifting was lifting too fast, putting all of the weight on me.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
Which is precisely the wrong way to team lift. Slow and steady, and if that can't be done more personnel are needed. Our dispatcher's wife has a debilitating back injury because some idiot did that which dominoed into all the weight ending up on her.

beaucait

Forum Crew Member
It was really frustrating, because I had nailed the rest of the physical exam, which consisted of pushing a simulated patient, doing a stair chair with two hundred pounds (plus the stair chair), and I even lifted the stretcher with a 200 pound patient.