downtime?

mewtwo

Forum Ride Along
what does a standard day look like for you guys? excluding calls.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
When we weren't working, we were "holding post" at the intersection of two streets. We'd try to find peaceful places to park, usually looking for churches, fire stations, or large empty parking lots.

Sometimes we'd watch movies, often we'd talk. Sometimes we'd sit in silence, while other times we'd take turns sleeping. I'd often read books or study for my classes, and I had many partners that did the same. I even know of partners who earned college degrees by "borrowing" wireless internet and taking classes online. There was no typical day really.

JPINFV

Gadfly
12s: Sit at/near what ever corner we were posted at. This could be anywhere from chilling at the beach to sitting board in the parking lot of a 7-11. In general, we tried to find someplace interesting to go if there was something in the area. Places like parks, malls, Circuit Cities (they always have a movie on and there's always the demo consoles to play) all work great. Also think about investing in a portable DVD player.

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
8am to 5pm mon-fri we have to keep busy either training or cleaning ect. On weekends its pretty much our time to do whatever we want and after 5pm on weekdays is our time.

chaplainwmdavwarneremt

Forum Ride Along
If we have some down time , we try just to relax, maybe TV if we are not posting for another crew. I like to read some good news (the bible) when I have a chance.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Work my street corner watching the street pharmacists peddle their goods :ph34r:

Usually when i'm working with my normal partner, we will chat, watch movies, read. Its always interesting working with someone new and you are still "feeling" each other out and learning about them.

gcfd_rez31

Forum Probie
besides running calls...

• watching tv
  • cleaning
  • doing/finishing reports
  • rig checks
  • talking
  • sleeping
  • driving around cuz we get bored!

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
A lot of networking with other services and practitioners. Having a good laugh togther, talking about the normal ems stuff, and just as friends. We try and watch DVDs, but normally get interupted. Stay awake until 4am on nights shift, then hit the sac for a hour or two! Then there this..., EMTLife forum?!!

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
A lot of networking with other services and practitioners. Having a good laugh togther, talking about the normal ems stuff, and just as friends. We try and watch DVDs, but normally get interupted. Stay awake until 4am on nights shift, then hit the sac for a hour or two! Then there this..., EMTLife forum?!!

Dude, I work on your shift. I second that!

It depends who you work with and I have an AWESOME crew to work with (Shift 12)... Sometimes putting some meat on the braai and just goof around...lol

uselessmedic

Forum Crew Member
Watch TV, play cards, station duties, and the best EMTLIFE. com

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
they all like to sleep

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
Daytime crews (0600-1800) have a required list for each day of the week, certian days you have to do certian chores. Also as soon as the shift starts you have to do a BLS and ALS rig check on the duty rig and check the narcs in all 3 units. Nighttime crews 1800-0600 don't really have a set agenda except mandatory rig checks as they are vol. but I know 4 out of our 8 crews including my crew, usually clean the building and I personally go through every unit and do a check because you never know when s*it could hit the fan and you need all 3 units for something and it's better to be stocked for anything then to be out of something. After that it's really do whatever you want to...I usually workout then hit up the internet and finish the night off with some TV.

Firesurfer75

Forum Probie
12hr shifts
Morning: Coffee, truck check, coffee, HQ run, coffee, lunch
Afternoon: TV, sleep, read, internet
Evening: Fuel truck, clean station/truck, review/organize run reports & daily log, tv, shift change, go home

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
short shifts(<10hr)- read, psp/ds, bs with partner/other crews. station duties. food. whatever occurs to me to do

medium shifts(10-16hr)- all of the above plus maybe a nap

long shifts(16+)- i sleep as much as possible. maybe a movie or some video games but for the most part: eat, sleep, run calls. repeat until shift ends