Doing more with your National Registry

DPM

Forum Captain
Hi Team!

Having joined the Army right out of school, I find myself a 29 year old paramedic with no degree. I know that not having a bachelors isn't the end of the world, but I am interested in pursuing further education, so my question is this:

Does any one have any experience in turning their NREMT-P into something more substantial?

I don't want to give the wrong impression, as I'm certainly not trying to find the magic short-cut to RN, however I put in a lot of hard work so I am interested in seeing if my NREMT-P will count for anything. Also, does anyone have any input on EMS / Paramedic related degrees? I see a lot of Associates and Bachelors in fire science (which requires EMT-B), but I'm finding very little in the way of EMS.

Thank you in advance!

DPM

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
This will likely get moved to the education forum. It all really depends what your goals are and where you see yourself working.... A degree in EMS isn't worth much, and if you're going to go back to school I wouldn't pigeon hole yourself with an EMS degree.

If you want to do nursing then go that route. Otherwise a Management Degree like an MBA, Healthcare Administration, or even a Marketing degree will allow you to use your Paramedic and move in a leadership position. Something like marketing coupled with EMS could easily branch you into something like medical device sales etc.

Tell us what/where you see yourself working and more about your goals and we can maybe guide you a bit more.

OP
OP
D

DPM

Forum Captain
Yeah, sorry about the Forum, I realised too late that I'd chosen badly!

I'm hoping to end up in a critical care type role, hopefully HEMS.

I get the concern about pigeon holing myself, I was hoping that any degree would include further/ advanced medical training, but my research is showing otherwise.