Does Your Department/Squad Provide Fitness Equipment?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Municiple ambulance service. We shower and change after workouts. If called out during workout you throw uniform on over workout clothes. If showering.. well you will be responding damp. It doesnt delay us any more than getting paged out when sleeping in the middle of the night.

Agreed. For a non urban system with 24 hour shifts, many places have a two minute requirement to be responding, fire based or otherwise.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
If your service won't help out with fitness equipment or memberships, then maybe everyone can chip in and get a TRX system and two or three sizes of kettlebell. You can do a lot with just these two things.

Also, check with your medical insurance provider to see if the have any discount plans with local gym chains, or if they would be willing to start a contract with one to subsidize a portion of your membership.

Joe

Forum Captain
pretty much all out stations but one (brand new) has a bench press/ squat rack with enough weights to be the worlds strongest man haha. some free weight dumbells, a couple treadmills, and those pull up things you put in a door way. its pretty nice but most the time you dont spend much time as second up. still havent had time to use much of it.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
pretty much all out stations but one (brand new) has a bench press/ squat rack with enough weights to be the worlds strongest man haha. some free weight dumbells, a couple treadmills, and those pull up things you put in a door way. its pretty nice but most the time you dont spend much time as second up. still havent had time to use much of it.

You could always get into work an hour early and get it in. Just be clear with whoever you're relieving that you're there an extra hour early to do PT, not to relieve them that much earlier.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I know most firehouses either have a gym or provide their members/staff with gym memberships to local fitness centers such as the YMCA; however, does your EMS agency do so?

I have yet to come across an EMS agency (not incorporated with the fire department) that has such.

Does your department have such a thing?

I know Mecklenburgh County NC does

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
I work for the big company, you know what i am talking about. every station has workout equipment, most have full sets, one or two look like they are an actual gym inside. we are allowed to workout anytime on the job, we even have a "workout uniform" that is allowed to be worn in case we get a call during work out. additionally most of the LA fitness or 24 hour fitness let us in while on duty for free.

xxTriNakedxx

Forum Probie
I work at a fire station on their EMS squad and yes, the firehouse does have a fitness room, although I have never seen it.

Many gyms in Morgantown will also offer discounts to EMS personnel.