Does Anyone Else Hate "Too Smart to be a Paramedic"?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I wonder if the only real solution is to create little fiefdoms of meritocracy, high standards, and high pay. Then make it a "want to play with the big boys? Step it up."

Unfortunately, the only way I see system wide change is for a private organization to do it where they can start absorbing and taking on contracts. The problem with places like Wake County is that they're bound by political boundaries, thus limiting their impact on the industry as a whole.

That sounds like a business plan.

psyanotic

Forum Crew Member
Not a day goes by I don't wish I cared more in high school/college. Could have been a year or two into med school by now had I only known what I really wanted. Instead I'm staring at a dashboard for the next 6 hours.

Psyanotic, I presume you are young, as am I. EMS is not a waste of your time but its obvious you have ambition. More than likely, too much to be satisfied by EMS till you grow old and grey. I urge you to make the right decisions now and reach higher than you planned. If your interest in medicine is genuine and your heart is in it then climb the ladder, don't stop half way.

I hope to return to school in the near future for some higher medical title but who knows maybe my name will eventually end in MD. EMS has allowed me to see and experience things that most doctors/people will never. It isn't a loss but don't take it as a definitive career goal. You are too young and enthusiastic.

Thank you

psyanotic

Forum Crew Member
Reality sucks doesn't it?

As food for thought, how do you know you want to be a paramedic when you don't seem to know what the realities of it are?

That is not meant to be discouraging, on paper I am still a paramedic, but when I started I had the same perception of it you describe. My perception has changed. But still I stay involved.

I guess I don't really want to be a paramedic, I want to be a doctor. But it just doesn't seem realistic. Becoming a paramedic seems more realistic while still allowing me to upgrade the -B appended to my EMT title.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The NREMT took EMT out from in front of paramedic.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I guess I don't really want to be a paramedic, I want to be a doctor. But it just doesn't seem realistic. Becoming a paramedic seems more realistic while still allowing me to upgrade the -B appended to my EMT title.

Everyone wants to be a doctor....there is nothing wrong with being a paramedic, you can have a great career and quality of life if you get hired at the right place. But just remember those good places to work are few and far between. Just have a realistic idea of what your getting into.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

If you want to become a doctor then become a doctor.

The question becomes not "if?" but "how?"

Everyone wants to be a doctor....there is nothing wrong with being a paramedic, you can have a great career and quality of life if you get hired at the right place. But just remember those good places to work are few and far between. Just have a realistic idea of what your getting into.

This is just like EMS. Everyone thinks they want to be a doctor. Then the reality of the job hits. Especially in acute care.

I absolutely laugh at EMs, critical care surgeons, orthopods, etc who complain about having to deal with noncritical patients who are drunk, addicted to drugs, criminals, or otherwise undesirable to society...

That is what the job is.

If you don't like it, there is always dermatology.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
If you want to become a doctor then become a doctor.

The question becomes not "if?" but "how?"

This is just like EMS. Everyone thinks they want to be a doctor. Then the reality of the job hits. Especially in acute care.

I absolutely laugh at EMs, critical care surgeons, orthopods, etc who complain about having to deal with noncritical patients who are drunk, addicted to drugs, criminals, or otherwise undesirable to society...

That is what the job is.

If you don't like it, there is always dermatology.

Is that so different from EMS? (The undesirables) If that's what you are going to be stuck with, at least strive for the top right?

Could always be an oncologist, if you can handle living in a world of depression with the hope of changing the world.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Is that so different from EMS? (The undesirables) If that's what you are going to be stuck with, at least strive for the top right?

Just like EMS, many people think they are going to be engaged in single combat with death in order to give somebody a desirable life back.

The reality is you will be trying to improve the lives of people you definately would not want to switch places with.

Poor people get hurt more often than others.
Poor people have basic health concerns that are not for others.
They have to accept more risk both in life and at work.
They often cannot change their circumstances for various reasons.
They often have no positive coping mechanisms.
Their expectations and goals do not match others.
May wait to engage EMS and other healthcare only after something easily preventable has gone wrong.
Because of lack of knowledge and subsequent fear, will seek help both early and more often for minor illness.
Usually un/undereducated and rely on experts.

It is the primary acute care population.

On top of that, trauma is a recurrant disease. Just like heart disease. So you can expect to see the same people again and again and again. It is not simply one intervention and cured.

This is what leads many in both EMS and acute care to complain and ultimately burnout from perceived "system abuse."

Could always be an oncologist, if you can handle living in a world of depression with the hope of changing the world.

If saving "innocent" productive lives with minimal intervention is what you want, pediatric oncology is the place.

Emergency care, by definition, takes place after something goes wrong. What goes wrong may not be medical in origin, but manifests with a medical condition.

I got involved in fire and subsequently EMS because of the show "Emergency." But again, perspective...

We saw Johnny and Roy have one maybe 2 life threatening "real emergencies a week. Their part in the story lasted on average 5-10 minutes. With the other 10-15 minutes being plot or character development.

In a 48-72 hour work week in a busy metropolitan system, during the realities of the 70s, that may seem about right.

Some 40+ years later, in a developed nation, 1-2 a month is not even realistic. Simply, the game has changed, but the perception of what the game is by providers has not.

People in the US don't accidentally step on landmines.
They do not get stuck under ox carts.
They have basic sanitation and vaccination.
Public and labor safety initiatives.
etc.

Look at how much time is spent in cardiology for medics. What do they actually do for it? Primarily Dx and transport to the proper place in a timely manner.

Not exactly the instant gratification of life and death.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I have long said we don't save lives. Every once in a while, maybe, but how heroic is it if all you are doing is the same thing any other similar person would do?

The most satisfying interaction I've had lately was an MCI with 8 to transport. In our system, with 3 staffed units, that's overwhelming. I got to organize patients and get them to appropriate facilities via appropriate vehicles. The other people on the scene couldn't do that as smoothly and quickly as I did. Even though those patients had relatively minor injuries, that's the kind of call that makes me feel glad I went to work that day. I really enjoy sorting out a mess, whether logistical or medical, that's what I find to be the most fun.

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
The majority of people on here that trash talk Seattle/King County Medic One have been trying to get hired with Medic One and have failed or they got fired while on probation with Medic One. I will not argue with people on the internet. Anyone is welcome to come to our program and go on ride a long anytime of the year. We are not perfect, we make mistakes just like any other agency on the planet. We are held accountable by our Medical Directors when we screw up. I am not "like a doctor" I am trained by doctors and held to a much higher standard than any place I have ever worked. I have been an EMT and a Paramedic in other agencies from out of state and Washington State. South King County will be hiring a lot of people over the next few years as we have A LOT of 25+ year Medics that will be retiring. If you have 3 years experience as an EMT or Paramedic please come and ride with us and consider applying. Have a good night everyone. :beerchug:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The majority of people on here that trash talk Seattle/King County Medic One have been trying to get hired with Medic One and have failed or they got fired while on probation with Medic One. I will not argue with people on the internet. Anyone is welcome to come to our program and go on ride a long anytime of the year. We are not perfect, we make mistakes just like any other agency on the planet. We are held accountable by our Medical Directors when we screw up. I am not "like a doctor" I am trained by doctors and held to a much higher standard than any place I have ever worked. I have been an EMT and a Paramedic in other agencies from out of state and Washington State. South King County will be hiring a lot of people over the next few years as we have A LOT of 25+ year Medics that will be retiring. If you have 3 years experience as an EMT or Paramedic please come and ride with us and consider applying. Have a good night everyone. :beerchug:

I don't think it is a question of hating it just sounds like a pushback against self-promotion.

I cannot think of one agency that this does not happen to, inside or outside of EMS.

Undaedalus

Forum Probie
I guess I don't really want to be a paramedic, I want to be a doctor. But it just doesn't seem realistic.

Then I guess you don't really want to be a doctor. To me, this attitude is the crux of the whole issue we're discussing here.. "I want to work in a field at a high level, and be reimbursed accordingly, but I'm not really interested in doing what's necessary to make that happen." If you want to do something well, do it, and don't let other people stop you. If you get there and realize it wasn't like you saw in the commercials, you have two options: do your best to fix it (often times against the currents), or find something else that might make you happy. Well, I guess you can just b!tch about it too...

there is nothing wrong with being a paramedic, you can have a great career and quality of life if you get hired at the right place. But just remember those good places to work are few and far between. Just have a realistic idea of what your getting into.

I shouldn't be afforded the quality of life and great career where I live now, and in the community I've already been serving for years? I am lucky to live in a small system, but the pay is just that.. small. I'm gonna stick around and work hard, try and change a few of my pet peeves, keep educating myself, and see what happens. All jobs can get old after a while.. Whatever, it's just life. If you're not having fun, you're only ruining it for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly

Why should ____ have to upgrade his first aid merit badge to a paramedic merit badge. A couple hour course seems much more realistic, so why not let them play with the cool toys too?