Doctor's Ambulance

GreenM91

Forum Ride Along
Haven't seen a thread that was up to date on this company lately. Figured I'd go ahead and revive one.

Just applied there earlier this week, and I've developed quite a love affair with the possibility of getting an interview there. Anyone who works for them, knows anything about them, or knows of any recent changes etc. would be of great assistance. Been hacking the IFT life for a while and I think it's time to move to the next step on the ambulance ladder.

OP
OP
G

GreenM91

Forum Ride Along
Commute from Oside is anywhere from 30-45 minutes to different sections of their coverage area so the drive isn't too much of an issude. I've been working for Pacific in San Diego for the past year and few months.
(PacificBowersRural/MetroSanDiegoMedicalServicesEnterprise)

surfinluke

Forum Crew Member
How the hell do you drive from Oceanside to Doctors coverage area in 30ish minutes? I live in vista and it would take me over an hour.

Chan

Forum Crew Member
I applied online there and got an email asking for me to bring in my certs. Did that and haven't heard since.

But they're the other major player in Orange County next to Care.

OP
OP
G

GreenM91

Forum Ride Along
I'm close to the freeway and I make the drive regularly.

When you say certs, referring to emt, cpr etc? Or additional non required certs.

Anonymous

Forum Captain
In order to be considered for employment as an Emergency Medical Technician, you must submit ALL of the following items:

Completed APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT from our Business Office or online.

Sign and Dated APPLICANTS CERTIFICATION (Obtained from our Business Office)

Photocopies of the following:

Current EMT-1 card issued within the State of California.

Current ORANGE COUNTY Medical Transportation Providers License -or- EMT ACCREDITATION card.

Current California Driver's License.

Current CPR For Healthcare Providers (Level C) Card.

Current Medical Examiners Certificate.

Recent (within one month) DMV Drivers License Information Request.

Current DMV Special (Ambulance) Drivers Certificate.

Resume (optional) .

JPINFV

Gadfly
How the hell do you drive from Oceanside to Doctors coverage area in 30ish minutes? I live in vista and it would take me over an hour.

45 minutes sounds about right for Oceanside to their headquarters. I could make it from UCI to my parent's house in San Marcos in about an hour... speeding... and using the toll road.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Bumping threads is frowned upon here. People will answer if they want to, and have time to.

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Applied to them about a week ago. The thing that is holding me back is that Orange County provider license or whatever Im trying to figure out where to get it.

Chan

Forum Crew Member
They only work 24s and pay is $8.

Don't tell them you want to head into a medical career or that you have no interest in fire.

CrackerBDingus

Forum Crew Member
Their interview and skills tests are the hardest (as heard from my partner who was an ex-army medic[with combat experience]). They don't let you really have a flexible schedule. Minimum age is 21. They mainly operate in south OC. They are very very stringent on hiring people that want to do FD work later. They are now owned by AMR so changes *may* be coming. They are a very professional company though and would be great if you are looking to do fire.

joegrizzly

Forum Crew Member
Alright been lurking on and off for a little bit, so lets see if we can get some of your questions answered.

Doctor's Ambulance is an amazing company to work for. The professionalism but also family feel within the company is great. Doctor's Ambulance has a contract for OCFA and Laguna Beach Fire for South Orange County that extends from Tustin to San Clemente with the exception of Mission Viejo. After Hiring, Orientation, and training you are put onto a 911 car that can also run IFT's occasionally. They seem to pretty much be always hiring every month or two. How the hiring process works:

Application: Go to their website, submit application and then either attach or personally turn in all your required certs and/or paperwork.

They will call you back and then give you a testing date. Test is 60 questions long and you are only able to miss 10. The test usually changes from class to class but you can expect anything EMT-B related and general workplace and interpersonal skills questions.

Pass the test then get called back for an interview.

Pass the interview and you will get a hiring date and a orientation date.

Congrats, you are hired and now begin your three month probation.

A few other questions that I have seen in this thread. Yes Doctor's pays for the full 24 hour shift. Yes you can get overtime, very easily I might add. If you are full time you are required to work 48 hours in a week (that is two 24 hour shifts) and can pick up as much overtime as you want or can handle. If you wanted to you could work 96 to over 120 hours a week, eat your heart out kid. How the shifts work is it is divided into three A, B, and C shifts. A shift is Monday/Tuesday (48 hour), B shift is Wednesday and Friday, C shift is Thursday to Sunday. Saturday is divided on the shifts and you are given it once every three weeks depending on the shift cycle.

The experience from this company alone is invaluable. You are working with fire every day in both an EMT attendant and driver position. They realize that most EMT's are not in it for the long haul here and fully encourage you to progress and seek a career in the fire department. Doctor's Ambulance in my opinion is a top notch and amazing company to work for. They were recently bought by AMR however but have changed very little so you get a family feeling oriented company with the backing of a major EMS provider. Hopefully that answers the majority of questions for Doctor's, I might pop in from time to time and see if their are any more that I did not address. Good luck!