Do you bill for treatment on scene and refusals?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It was always my understanding that my private ambulance service didn't bill for patient refusals and when we treated and released on scene, but I think that policy may have changed.

Does anyone bill refusals and patients who are treated and released on scene?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
As far as I know, we don't - either at the 911 vollie squad, or the "nationwide EMS company" I work for parttime.

SWVAEMT

Forum Probie
The county I'm with only charges for transports.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
If we just take a refusal and provide no treatment we do not bill.

If we provide treatment, such as for diabetics or bandages/dressings ect, we have a $60 treatment charge we will bill.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
All of our services bill for refusals. (If the patient or patients family called or MVC's)

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
i believe so,assuming the caller or next of kin was the person to initiate 911.

sometimes people on cellphones will call in fender benders where everyone will sign off, with no one person involved being the caller

gets to be even more fun when they start walking away from you and the refusal you wish them to sign, doesn't it?

~S~

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I tell them to nix the cell, the first question the cops as here is "Do you have a cell phone in the vehicle, where you on it, where was it located".

If they show up to find someone on a cell, they will be the one who has the finger pointed at them, no matter who caused the crash.

Innocent until proven guilty, unless you're on the phone.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
We only bill for transports, although it is sometimes difficult to explain to the patient refusing treatment that the paperwork they're signing is only a HIPAA and Refusal form.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't let them see what they are signing, I cover up the top of the sheet with a plain white sheet of paper. That's my hipaa shield.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We do not bill for refusals, since no treatment or transportation was provided. It would be every hard pushed for an insurance company or even medicare to pay for "non-rendered services". Especially, if the were not the direct person who initiated the call.

Be safe,
R/R 911

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
If they show up to find someone on a cell, they will be the one who has the finger pointed at them, no matter who caused the crash.

unless of course the caller was just a rubbernecker passing by....

and fwiw, nobody HAS to sign a refusal, hippa, or any other piece of paperwork we may produce. In fact if they were not involved in any altercation/traffic offense etc they don't even need to tell you their name, produce an ID, or even give you the time of day , do they

a brief synopsis of relevant 'unbillable' calls (off the top of my head)

a passerby asleep in his car is called in by c-phone traffic

a BBQ viewed across a body of water is taken for a structure fire

a snowmobile stuck in spring mud/snow is called in as a wreck

~S~