Do ski/snow resorts hire their own EMTs?

train54

Forum Crew Member
I think it would be pretty cool to work on a nice resort in Tahoe, or Mammoth or somewhere with great snow...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The ski resorts hire people to do "Ski Patrol" and many of them are EMT (or even MUCH higher) certified. It can be very seasonal work... Sometimes they're a volunteer group that's affiliated with the resort. They can do either.

The Dodge Ridge Ski Patrol is an example of this and they have their own website... http://www.dodgeridgensp.org/

No, I'm not a "Patroller" with them... or any other group.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

train54

Forum Crew Member
The ski resorts hire people to do "Ski Patrol" and many of them are EMT (or even MUCH higher) certified. It can be very seasonal work... Sometimes they're a volunteer group that's affiliated with the resort. They can do either.

The Dodge Ridge Ski Patrol is an example of this and they have their own website... http://www.dodgeridgensp.org/

No, I'm not a "Patroller" with them... or any other group.

Cool thanks Akulahawk!

Does anyone out there know if all ski patrols are volunteer positions?

SerumK

Forum Crew Member
Some are paid, some are volunteers, some are a mix.

Some areas also have paid "resort security" which are EMTs and sometimes FFs too.

Ski resorts are of course serviced by EMS Services and Fire Departments.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Yes, most do, and its a great job, I worked a few winters at a pennsylvania ski resort, they required Basic level certs then trained you up to their standards. Go to the national ski patrol website to see what they can do.

Harvey

Forum Lieutenant
I bet offshore oil rigs have a designated Medic. Like in the Gulf. Maybe there is some money in that. Anyone know anything about it?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
A lot of offshore rigs hire paramedics for remote duty on them. I know of at least one medic I follow on Twitter that works offshore. From what I've been told thru rarely hire basics, sometimes intermediates, but mostly medics

OP
OP
T

train54

Forum Crew Member
Yes, most do, and its a great job, I worked a few winters at a pennsylvania ski resort, they required Basic level certs then trained you up to their standards. Go to the national ski patrol website to see what they can do.

Cool thanks Bullets, I will check that website out!

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've been to Dodge Ridge a couple times, but not recently. Not a bad place to ski! I used it because they're possibly lesser known that the Tahoe area places and their website had some more info...

AustinNative

Forum Crew Member
I talked to an older guy at Heavenly Valley last year, and he works as a Ski-Patrol Medic during the winter, then works part time in a clinic in Florida during the summer (he is retired). He said it paid ok, but free access to the mountain and three days off a week to ski.

clibb

Forum Captain
Breckenridge has try outs every spring. You have to take a test similar to the NREMT if you want to do EMT work on the hills. If not, there's always the First Responder test. You also have to be very skilled on skis and do a terrain test course to qualify.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
From what I hear, ski patrol work is mostly basic level stuff, primarily splinting and sick calls, but definitely lots and lots of splinting. You will see more broken bones than you can imagine if you do ski patrol.

zmedic

Forum Captain
depends on where you are. There are few places I know of in Colorado that has a paramedic patrol in addition to their BLS ski patrollers. A-basin and Eldora are two I can think of off the top of my head. Also so places use the national ski patrol OEC cert rather than EMT. Usually you can challenge for the OEC but you have to learn some additional skills like quick splinting. Also patrollers are much better at splinting then most EMTs I've seen, so if you were going to try out you should make sure that your sling and swath and forearm splints are good. (EMTs tend to do a quick splint job because the patient is just being wheeled out on a stretcher, not bouncing around too much. Patients on patrol get brought down in a sled and poorly splinted fractures are a bigger deal.)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It depends on the mountain on how their patrol is set up. Like someone else said it could be all volunteer, all paid or a combination of both. Usually it is a combo.

The level of care provided depends on the protocols of your mountain, we do strictly BLS at the mountain I work at as a FT paid Patroller.