Do I show up for my third ride or not? Company is leaving In the dark

Tk11

Forum Captain
Recently hired as an emt with this company, Orientation was Monday-Wednesday. On Wednesday they took us out to the parking lot and had us drive through cones. I was the last one left to do it, I messed up a few times while in reverse I hit cones. Eventually the instructor there said "it's not going to happen today, I'll talk to so and so and give you a call tomorrow (Thursday) to let you know what we need to do." Keep in mind during orientation me and new hires had to sign up for third rides, I had one for today (Friday) and into the next couple weeks.

Ok, so I'm waiting for a call Thursday, it's starting to get late in the day and I hear nothing from them. So I decided to call them. I speak to a supervisor and let her know the situation. She says "I'll give you a call tomorrow, but for now your Friday ride along will be postponed." So again I'm waiting for a call today and it gets late in the day so I decide to try to get in contact with the same supervisor I spoke to yesterday and see what's going, she doesn't answer. I left a voicemail basically saying I have a third ride coming up on Sunday, I haven't heard anything if im good to go on it or not and if I can get a call back.

So I don't know what to here. I'm signed up for Sunday for a third ride. If I don't hear back before then, which at this point I don't feel like I will, do I just go in for it and see what happens? They're leaving me in the dark and I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Sounds like a super sketchy company. If you need the job though, I would still show up Sunday as scheduled. Perhaps the supervisor you spoke to is just off work and forgot to tell her relief to call you. Still pretty substandard business practices though...I'd keep looking for more reputable employment. Also, do what you can to practice your driving.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Sounds like a super sketchy company. If you need the job though, I would still show up Sunday as scheduled. Perhaps the supervisor you spoke to is just off work and forgot to tell her relief to call you. Still pretty substandard business practices though...I'd keep looking for more reputable employment. Also, do what you can to practice your driving.
The thing is I heard they're "the best" in the area. That's why I applied with them. Other ems companies in the area I've heard bad things about, like allowing smoking in the ambulance, telling employees to "f off", being on scene for 40 min. Etc. That doesn't sound any better. So I don't know where to look honestly.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd wait to get in touch with the supervisor. If they put your third ride on hold. I imagine that they would also have put the Sunday shift on hold too. If nobody has called you back, try calling the dispatcher they might be able to get in touch with a supervisor for you and get you an answer.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Another thing, the company is Union based, I was reading through the paperwork and it says under "FTO"...

"The FTO will make a recommendation, subject to employer approval, regarding wether the employee is ready to move to another assignment." Does that include driving? Does that mean it's up to the FTO to say wether "this guy sucks at driving I don't think he's ready" or "this guy is good to go on everything"

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Can you just go in person and talk to them?

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
...Does that include driving? Does that mean it's up to the FTO to say wether "this guy sucks at driving I don't think he's ready" or "this guy is good to go on everything"

For the most part, yes. The FTO will evaluate your ability to safely drive the rig. It is one of the many facets of your field training. If he or she doesn't feel you're competent they can recommend remedial drivers training, placement as an attendant only until additional drivers training can be done, or upper management may choose to let you go.

What ever decision they were going to make about you got passed off to someone else in typical silly ambulance management, no one has any idea what's going on, fashion.

I would just show up on Sunday. No one told you not to. You've attempted to get in contact with your supervisor and were unsuccessful. At least showing up on Sunday you can talk to someone in person.

Tell them, "Hi, I'm Tk11. I was scheduled for a ride out on Friday, but was taken off of it due to EVOC issues during Oreintation. I tried getting in touch with the Sup about tonight's ride out but never heard back. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be here tonight, but figured it was better to show up and not be needed than suppose to be here and not show up"

Everyone will be very confused and a bunch of phone calls will be made, then they'll probably send you home with a "We'll call you tomorrow." At least you showed up, got to talk to someone in person and showed you're reliable and interested in working.

My best advice for you is to relax a little. Ambulance management can be like old lazy cats. Running issues up the chain of command and having them come back down resolved can take a while. They'll get around to figuring out your situation on Monday or Tuesday.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, I'd say if you're only playing phone tag with different people who aren't following through and calling you back, show up in person and have a face to face chat with a supervisor or FTO who can clear up your questions better than a forum of people who don't know the first thing about the rules, policies, procedures, etc of this company

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I agree with the others, that company sounds really shady. I would suggest looking into a different company if you don't hear back from them.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Well when they said "We'll call you" I assumed they would, so I wasn't just going to show up there. Tomorrow I will though since I haven't heard anything.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Harsh truth time. They're not going to call you back and are hoping you'll get the hint. Since you just got hired it's highly likely you're still in probation and have no union protection.

I hope I'm wrong but I've seen it done one too many times.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
For the most part, yes. The FTO will evaluate your ability to safely drive the rig. It is one of the many facets of your field training. If he or she doesn't feel you're competent they can recommend remedial drivers training, placement as an attendant only until additional drivers training can be done, or upper management may choose to let you go.

What ever decision they were going to make about you got passed off to someone else in typical silly ambulance management, no one has any idea what's going on, fashion.

I would just show up on Sunday. No one told you not to. You've attempted to get in contact with your supervisor and were unsuccessful. At least showing up on Sunday you can talk to someone in person.

Tell them, "Hi, I'm Tk11. I was scheduled for a ride out on Friday, but was taken off of it due to EVOC issues during Oreintation. I tried getting in touch with the Sup about tonight's ride out but never heard back. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be here tonight, but figured it was better to show up and not be needed than suppose to be here and not show up"

Everyone will be very confused and a bunch of phone calls will be made, then they'll probably send you home with a "We'll call you tomorrow." At least you showed up, got to talk to someone in person and showed you're reliable and interested in working.

My best advice for you is to relax a little. Ambulance management can be like old lazy cats. Running issues up the chain of command and having them come back down resolved can take a while. They'll get around to figuring out your situation on Monday or Tuesday.
Thank you for the advice. I was really annoyed when I wrote this just wanted to kind of get it off my chest. I'll go in tomorrow and say what you said and see what happens. Really all I can do. I don't know why I got so upset about it since I'm still in the training, and if they want to give me a chance that's their decision, so I'll see what happens. Hopefully I get a solid answer face to face.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Harsh truth time. They're not going to call you back and are hoping you'll get the hint. Since you just got hired it's highly likely you're still in probation and have no union protection.

I hope I'm wrong but I've seen it done one too many times.
Maybe, but would they not want all their stuff back if they're going to let me go? I mean I still have the badge that unlocks all their doors in the building and their key fob that starts their trucks. Wouldn't they want that back? Unless they can somehow deactivate it without having it. Not to mention, we were getting paid for orientation, so how are they going to avoid me? Either way I'm going in in person and they'll have to tell me face to face.

Last edited:

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
So, how'd it go?

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
So, how'd it go?
I went in and talked to the supervisor, the same one that sent me home during the driving day. I explained the situation I never got calls back and I have a ride. The guy didn't know what to say. All he was saying "it's over my head now, I talked to HR they were supposed to give you a call, I don't know." Then he said "I guess just go on your third ride" but he looked at the schedule and seen they took me off. So I went home and left a message with HR. I don't even know what to do. I applied at another company last night they called me this morning and told me I could be working next week with them if I interview well, which is Wednesday. So I guess if I hear nothing by Wednesday I'm going in for this other interview.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I went in and talked to the supervisor, the same one that sent me home during the driving day. I explained the situation I never got calls back and I have a ride. The guy didn't know what to say. All he was saying "it's over my head now, I talked to HR they were supposed to give you a call, I don't know." Then he said "I guess just go on your third ride" but he looked at the schedule and seen they took me off. So I went home and left a message with HR. I don't even know what to do. I applied at another company last night they called me this morning and told me I could be working next week with them if I interview well, which is Wednesday. So I guess if I hear nothing by Wednesday I'm going in for this other interview.
Did you get paid for coming into work? You should be... you had an expectation of working a full shift.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Did you get paid for coming into work? You should be... you had an expectation of working a full shift.
Was supposed to get paid for orientation days and third rides. Since they seem to be taking me off the third ride schedule, without telling me anything I'm not going to get paid for those. Honestly if I don't hear anything by tomorrow I'm going in and just turning my badge and uniform and everything in and telling them I'm done. I'm not playing phone games anymore. The way I feel I've been treated, being ignored and no one not knowing what's going on, I don't feel like it's someone I want to work for anymore. They seem to not care about their employees, it's been six days and I haven't heard a word about if I still have my position or not.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Honestly if I don't hear anything by tomorrow I'm going in and just turning my badge and uniform and everything in and telling them I'm done. I'm not playing phone games anymore. The way I feel I've been treated, being ignored and no one not knowing what's going on, I don't feel like it's someone I want to work for anymore
Exactly.
Sounds like they decided to cut you but apparently not tell you, just a bit shady IMO. Time to find greener pastures that aren't gonna jerk you around.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Based on the supervisor's response, it sounds like they let you go and moved on. As mentioned by others, it's pretty crappy they didn't even tell you. Good luck with your next interview!