Do I Need to Get LA County Accreditation

Tonester

Forum Probie
I'm currently employed doing armed private security patrol work in Los Angeles county. I have my accreditation with Orange County EMS when I was seeking work with an ambu company (didn't pan out -_-).

My question is, if I should come across a client who needs and requests medical intervention while I'm on duty, would I face any legal risks by treating the client without LA County EMT accreditation? My main job functions are to protect the client, the client's property, and others if in imminent life threatening danger.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
I'm currently employed doing armed private security patrol work in Los Angeles county. I have my accreditation with Orange County EMS when I was seeking work with an ambu company (didn't pan out -_-).

My question is, if I should come across a client who needs and requests medical intervention while I'm on duty, would I face any legal risks by treating the client without LA County EMT accreditation? My main job functions are to protect the client, the client's property, and others if in imminent life threatening danger.

i wouldnt think so, because your not practicing/employed as an EMT, it would be more of First Responder Status/First Aid. Now, You could possibly get in trouble if you used oxygen (as it is considered a drug) or any other medicated substance.

Btw did you try looking in LA County for Jobs? there are quite a few companies hiring, i just got hired with an IFT company: Ambuserve- they will pretty much hire anyone with a pulse

before that i was working at Liberty which is a very decent IFT company

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
In that situation, you're an armed guard, not an EMT. If the injury/illness is severe enough that a band-aid and TLC won't do, suggest the client go the hospital and if the client agrees... make it happen via 911 or other appropriate means.

In other words, no. Your primary job is armed guard, and a medical response isn't part & parcel of that job. The fact that you're an EMT is a bonus, but not required for that job. Your clients call for you because they need someone with a gun to protect them or their property, not for a bag full of gauze & band-aids to be used on their boo-boos.... if that makes any sense.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I'm not sure exactly how California's crazy system works, but the above answers seem sound. And IIRC, emergency oxygen is okay, but low flow requires a prescription to administer, or somesuch. But certainly don't take any action based on my vague recollections.