Dispatching tips

okiemedic

BLS Healthcare Provider Instructor
We were once accused of posting at the station while driving past it to get gas. The result. Dispatch posted us 25 miles from the station with 15 minutes left in our shift. The result was us getting called for a hospital transport that added 4 hours to our shift.

Ive never in my life seen a company use overtime to punish employees.

Trucks were known to speed to the station to deactivate and 10-7 for fear of getting called back out while in route to the station.

For that reason I will never work private EMS again...

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
We were once accused of posting at the station while driving past it to get gas. The result. Dispatch posted us 25 miles from the station with 15 minutes left in our shift. The result was us getting called for a hospital transport that added 4 hours to our shift.

Ive never in my life seen a company use overtime to punish employees.

Trucks were known to speed to the station to deactivate and 10-7 for fear of getting called back out while in route to the station.

For that reason I will never work private EMS again...

Getting a callrd after being cleared would happen a lot at the old company that i have worked for.

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Hey after all dispatching aint that bad when the communication is good inside between crew members

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
prior to working FT as a 911 dispatcher in a busy urban system, I did a few years as a IFT dispatcher for a private company.

Some things I did:

1) keep track of your units. keep track of where they are coming from, and going to. when they clear a run, post them somewhere, so you know where they are, and so they don't wander. Give them an area to cover, and don't micromanage them. If they end up getting food, finding a quiet place to nap, visiting a friend, etc, even if it's a little out of the area, let them. As long as they show up to their assignment at the right time, that's the important part. But if they are late, they should be held accountable.

2) check on their status during long transports. ever 30 minutes, 60 minutes, etc, you pick, just make sure they are ok, not lost, and not upside down in a ditch. it might be overkill, but I call it looking out for your units.

3) cover for your people. if they run late, and the nurse calls and complains, DON'T throw your crews under the bus, even if it is their fault. They have to deal with the staff face to face, its much easier to be the bad guy over the phone than to deal with an angry nurse in person. And yes, I have blamed my dispatcher for being late when i was my fault.

4) schedule your day as best as you can. plan several hours ahead. Nurses might want a 9am pickup, but they will usually make it for 10am (if you asked nicely) and give it to the crew that comes in at 9am. and don't send every crew from your main station; if you have a closer unit, even one that is clearing a facility in 10 minutes, send the closer unit.

5) late runs: try not to give your crews late jobs; they want to get out on time, just like you do. That being said, if you have an emergency run, and the only crew you have available is getting off in 10 minutes, guess what, they are going to get out late. Also, if it's 6pm, and they get off at 7pm, and the job comes in and it's going to result in them getting off late, and they are the closest crew, guess what, they are going to get out late. But it shouldn't be an every day occurrence. Similarly, just because you can hold a crew for a mandatory hour or two doesn't mean you should; but if you need to, do it, because that's what your management wants you to do, and they knew the job when they signed up.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Hey after all dispatching aint that bad when the communication is good inside between crew members
Glad you had good experience. It's always good to have people with experience on both sides of the radio.

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Glad you had good experience. It's always good to have people with experience on both sides of the radio.
Yeah man, that how I see it. Just playing the other side of the game now.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Like Dr Parasite said on #4 don't let field crews be rude to dispatch: but it also works in the reverse, don't let dispatch be rude to the field crews.

Like Others have said, if someone is getting off soon, do everything you can to get them off on time. Likewise, if a crew member tells you they want off on time for >>>>>>> (birthday, or family thing, etc) do everything you can to get them off that day on time.

Dispatchers that have favorite crews, and punish other crews cause problems. My partner and I worked hard, marked in service fast and did te job without complaint. One day we were told we had a 1500 pickup in Indy to go to Chicago (4 hours each way) when we were due off at 1800. When we asked why we were getting it and not the medic crew that got off at 1900, 2000 or 2100 we were told it is because the lead dispatcher doesn't like you.
We did the run, and my partner applied for a different job the next day and left a month later.

If you let dispatchers punish crews they will fight back.

Don't let dispatchers send runs out after the fact without telling the crew that the pickup is overdue, (nothing like getting yelled at for beining late with no knowledge that we are late)., be honest tell the crew that the pickup is late due to _______.

Rin

Forum Captain
For pediatric calls, it's nice if you can let the crew know the age of the patient, not just the weight. That way, they can prepare the appropriate sized equipment from the outset.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Please please please have an interval where you call your crews after not hearing them for a certain amount of time. I have been on scene for over an hour without talking to dispatch and they will forget to call and ask if we are Code 4 (ok). It is not the crew's job to tell dispatch all is well, that's how bad things happen.

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Please please please have an interval where you call your crews after not hearing them for a certain amount of time. I have been on scene for over an hour without talking to dispatch and they will forget to call and ask if we are Code 4 (ok). It is not the crew's job to tell dispatch all is well, that's how bad things happen.
every 30 mins, i think that every 15 mins would seems like micromanaging which i hated.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Depending on the type of call, if the crew is at a house or street address, every 15 minutes might be good; if they are at a hospital or ECF every 30 minutes is too often.

If a crew goes to a house or scene and has a 10-0 (death) give them time, especially if it is a SIDS. They will be dealing with family and police and etc. It is hard to tell the parents "Kids dead, got to go back in service": But when dispatch is texting and hitting on the radio every 10 minutes for you to be in service then it is more annoying.

If you send a crew to a prison to pick up a prisoner, and they call you and tell you that the prison is on lock down (with the crew inside); paging them every 5 minutes will not do any good, and the crew can not get out any faster, no matter how much dispatch/supervisor threatens them.

BlueJayMedic

Interrupting natural selection since 2010
I will be more likely to clean up and head back in service to help out with coverage for my area if I am not getting harassed constantly about my stretcher status. Also, if we ask dispatch to stand by for a second while off at the hospital, give us time to unhook and transfer the patient, also get them set up in bed and give report to the nurse and wash up. They are never at the bed side awaiting report like they are supposed to be (at least in our area anyways). Most times I need to chase down the receiving RN for a signature to complete paperwork as well.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Like Others have said, if someone is getting off soon, do everything you can to get them off on time. Likewise, if a crew member tells you they want off on time for >>>>>>> (birthday, or family thing, etc) do everything you can to get them off that day on time.
but also remember, they are scheduled to work for 12 hours, so if they are the only crew you have available, and you can't hold the call, give it to them.
Dispatchers that have favorite crews, and punish other crews cause problems.
I'm not going to lie, I had my favorite crews. Typically these crews didn't give me attitude, went on their job, didn't drag their feet, didn't complain about doing their job, didn't milk there scene times, basically did their job, and realized that I had a job to do, and sometimes my job was to make them work harder than they wanted. Oh, and brought us coffee/food when we couldn't leave the dispatch center. These crews often got asked where in the city they wanted to post, and I would accommodate them if I could. Note: I didn't say they didn't do any work, but if they wanted a certain area, and they were able to cover their calls in a time frame approved by my supervisor, I would try to accommodate.

Those that were rude, milked their scene times (or in hospital times), and generally *****ed about getting a job, well, they weren't given favorite status.

and before you ask, people who were "my favorites" did get late jobs, did get ****ty calls, and did take calls that they would have much rather avoided.
Don't let dispatchers send runs out after the fact without telling the crew that the pickup is overdue, (nothing like getting yelled at for beining late with no knowledge that we are late)., be honest tell the crew that the pickup is late due to _______.
totally agree
I will be more likely to clean up and head back in service to help out with coverage for my area if I am not getting harassed constantly about my stretcher status. Also, if we ask dispatch to stand by for a second while off at the hospital, give us time to unhook and transfer the patient, also get them set up in bed and give report to the nurse and wash up. They are never at the bed side awaiting report like they are supposed to be (at least in our area anyways). Most times I need to chase down the receiving RN for a signature to complete paperwork as well.
seriously? you really think a dispatcher has nothing better to do but harass you about your status? Maybe the supervisor is telling them to check on you. or maybe management tells them "check on them after 10 minutes, or else you, the dispatcher, can be disciplined." Maybe if you cleaned up quickly and headed back in service to help out your coverage area, you wouldn't be "harassed constantly about my stretcher status." maybe the reason you are "harassed" is because you drag your *** when there area other calls that need to be covered in your primary?

Let me tell you the deep dark secret about dispatchers: we have a job to do, just like you do. we are often more micromanaged than field staff. and to be honest, most dispatchers wouldn't care what you are doing, as long as you kept them in the loop. If you need more time, let them know why so they can document it appropriately. If you need to get food, let them know so they can creatively cover for you (yes, most will, assuming it won't get them in trouble). if you need to leave your coverage area, do a personal errand, or just need a break to cool down or warm up, just call them (or even better text them, even the dispatch center allows phones) so they know what is happening when a supervisor asks them why you are doing what you are doing and are not where you are assigned to be.

If you need more time (on a scene, in a hospital, whatever), instead of being pissed that the dispatcher is doing his or her job, just call them and advise them on what the delay is. Most will simply document it, and not bother you again until your management set up time limit expires again.

Sorry for the rant, but some people make this whole job much harder than it needs to be.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Let me tell you the deep dark secret about dispatchers: we have a job to do, just like you do. we are often more micromanaged than field staff. and to be honest, most dispatchers wouldn't care what you are doing, as long as you kept them in the loop. If you need more time, let them know why so they can document it appropriately. If you need to get food, let them know so they can creatively cover for you (yes, most will, assuming it won't get them in trouble). if you need to leave your coverage area, do a personal errand, or just need a break to cool down or warm up, just call them (or even better text them, even the dispatch center allows phones) so they know what is happening when a supervisor asks them why you are doing what you are doing and are not where you are assigned to be.

I'll mirror the sentiment. As long as we know where you are, and have an idea what you're up to... we're fine. Especially when we fly blind it's nice to know when you're out and about. One ambulance in my area has probably the largest first due area in the state. There are a handful of establishments around the area, and which one they opt to go to for lunch will mean a huge difference in response times.

As for safety checks, we perform them at 20 minute intervals on scene. We'll assume their safe when on scene and in contact with other units. I'll often also listen to med control channels to get status without having to bother them, and be able start additional resources, ie. HEMS, when they need it.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Trust your crews.
I got sent on a critical "ventilator" call. So I swing by main station and grab the portable vent and head out.
Yeah..... It wasn't a vent. It was a Venturi mask. When I told dispatch this they proceeded to argue with me says "yes it's a vent. It has the word VENT in the name!"..... Don't be that person.

Reactions: Rin

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes; trust your crew to actually know what is going on with the patient, Such as what CO Medic said about VENTuri masks.
Or when a BLS crew is running emergent to a hospital don't second guess them just because you as the dispatcher don't recognize where the hospital is at.

I have always felt that dispatchers should be trained on the street for at least 40 hours; so they learn the area and how to get to the hospitals. It is scary to listen to a crew asking directions; and the dispatcher can't help them (can't even look it up) with directions to the biggest hospital in the area they are working

Rotor Talker

Old EMT-B
Spent 11 years in dispatch, 8 in Air Medical, last three in a private service after we got laid off from the Air Medical(long story), most of my time at the private was as a call-taker, but all the above comments ring 100% true. Only thing I would add is "Trust your gut".

Best of luck to you.

Bob