Disgruntled Intermediate Becomes Manager

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Somebody told me a story that the manager at the local Outback Steakhouse is an EMT-I and has his associates in fire science... yet chooses to work at the Outback because he makes more money... to which I say... a great number of things I choose to not repeat here. My diagnosis is burnout for this guy though.

I guess the real reason that this angers me is that I had a bunch of degrees in a field like him and I left that field because i couldnt get paid. I thought i would have better job security in this field... and i do. It makes me uncomfortable though when i learn that someone has gone and done something similar in in my new career when i thought i was safe from that bull honkey. We are truly never safe from anything i suppose. i dont know what type of retirement he expects to get from the Outback though... heh.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Probably a better one than he gets in EMS...........

Seriously though, EMT's and FireFighters are a dime a dozen, many cannot secure gainful employment. Hope and dedication to a profession does not pay the bills, personally I see nothing wrong his decision. I'm sorry that it doesn't sit well with you though.............

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I used to know a girl in college that was pre-med. When I showed up to work one day and saw that she was working the rig as a basic, I had to ask her why. She commented that she made more than twice as much working a shift as a waitress, but needed the experience for med school.

EMS doesn't always pay the bills. Degrees and certifications in EMS unfortunately don't mean much. A man has to pay the bills one way or another, and it seems as though Outback pays the bills.

There is little job security in EMS. You're going to get hurt, it's just a matter of time. If your working EMS for the money then you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your career choice.

The company I work for starts EMTs at $9 an hour, and there is a waiting list a mile long. I would spend $25 a shift driving to and from work, another $8 on dry cleaning the uniform, and another $10 or so on food for the shift. I made $32 a shift! Then there is the Littman I bought, the boots, and additional whacker gear. I think I lost money working in EMS!

All of a sudden serving bloomin' onions doesn't sound so bad :)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I agree with the last couple of comments. I started out in EMS when I was a security officer for an automobile manufacturing plant. We started off as just security, then all received Medical First Responder training, then went through FF 1 and 2, plus other training (HazMat, Rope Rescue, etc.). We made good money, but I wanted more. I started looking at local EMT and Paramedic positions. I quickly found out that I was making much more than all Basics and most paramedics.

I left that position because I wanted to trade snow and ice for palm trees and beaches. When I came down to Florida I learned that to make any money as an EMT or Paramedic, you had to get on with the county which most often required you to get your FF 1 and 2 in addition to your medical certificate.

Working for a private agency will most likely mean that you will be doing transfers, making very little money and working some whacked out schedules. Why would anyone want to do that is beyond me, but to each their own.

Because I wanted to enjoy life and not kill myself, I decided to get out and do something else. I don't blame others who want to do the same.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Flight-LP said:
Seriously though, EMT's and FireFighters are a dime a dozen, many cannot secure gainful employment.

Too true here in GA.

The pay is much better in CT. Actually, one of my guys has a gig making $70+ an hour as a medic. I really need to find out where...

As campus EMTs we're paid (when we're paid, we're typically vollie) about $15 an hour. And some how, though I really don't follow the math of this check, I cleared a $450 check for staffing ONE shift for an event, maybe like 12 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
If I could work in EMS full time, I think that I would. Perhaps I'm one of those crazy folks that isn't bothered by the downtime (I used to work at an airport - we had HOURS of downtime there.) and would enjoy it. I'd probably wish that the pay rate was higher, but to a point, I think that is natural. Everyone wishes that they made more money. Maybe I'm just sick of working in the IT industry. No, I didn't get into IT for the money and I'm sure as heck not an EMT for the money either. I'm doing it because I really enjoy it, and I enjoy the continuing education. I'm itching to get more hours in too. Heck, I'm even considering trying to do volunteer stuff in another state. ;-)

what was my point? I think I had one.

Oh yeah. Money isn't everything. Or something like that.

Can I interest anyone in some BBQ ribs? :p

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
TCERT1987 said:
Too true here in GA.

The pay is much better in CT. Actually, one of my guys has a gig making $70+ an hour as a medic. I really need to find out where...

As campus EMTs we're paid (when we're paid, we're typically vollie) about $15 an hour. And some how, though I really don't follow the math of this check, I cleared a $450 check for staffing ONE shift for an event, maybe like 12 hours.

Hmmm.. I don't believe a $70.00 an hour. Unless the cost of living is 5 times higher, or oilfield rig. I know of Doc's making just a little more than that.

R/r 911

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
fm_emt said:
what was my point? I think I had one.

Oh yeah. Money isn't everything. Or something like that.

Can I interest anyone in some BBQ ribs? :p
You are right. Money isn't everything. But I feel that you should make a decent amount of money working a regular amount of hours allowing yourself to enjoy the fruits of your labor, no matter what your career is.

Now, about those ribs.....

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Ridryder, believe it friend. I was totally taken aback when I found out, but it's 100% true. He's just got a pretty sick gig. He works as a hospital medic usually, among other things (he does all sorts of other EMS gigs.)

I agree with Chimpie, how 'bout those ribs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
The ribs sound good!!! We have one of the highest costs of living in the nation and we (EMS) get paid crap here. I'm only supplementing our income so it's not absolutely necessary that I make good money but if I got offered another job where I would make the same or more than Jay did I can't say I wouldn't take it to stay in EMS. When you have 2 little ones and haven't even been able to buy a house yet you have to prioritize at some point.

OP
OP
pfmedic

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I love a topic people can chew over.

I agree that there is no right or wrong. Do what you love... although there is much more job security in this field than some of my other jobs... and I loved them as well