Difficult new partner

mike1390

Forum Captain
You need a plan of action, seeing how you have referenced your "para-millitary" school Im sure they taught you to never go into something without a plan of action ie: war, a fire, an EMS call, hell even a date.

Talk to your partner at the beginning of the shift, or on the way to the call and discuss how it will be ran. End of story remember your new to this company learn how they do it. If not take your Para-millatary *** to the actual military if you want stringent guidelines.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
^ I agree with your statements. I am somewhat reluctant to sit back, only due to this company providing 911 service, any call can turn into a disaster if you're not prepared properly.

With 8 years of experience you of all people should know that most of our calls are complete BS from an 'emergency' standpoint.

In EMS we work as a team, isn't one of the first rules of teamwork communication? Just remember, basics first, BasicFirst....

Luno

OG
Premium Member
It's lack of respect and poor teamwork, plain and simple. You both lack the maturity to clearly articulate your expectations and to provide constructive feedback to each other. Calls go wrong, the gauge of your ability as provider is in how you safeguard against the same issues happening again. You really seem to take yourself quite seriously, and at the end of the day, this isn't that serious of a field. Humor is one of the most important things to diffuse tense situations, don't let your pseudo "professionalism" become the reason that you can't work with other people. Guess what, sometimes your patient gets called bud or pal, and the world doesn't end... Sometimes a sense of familiarity helps them place trust in your abilities, and maybe things aren't as bad as they think. Sometimes it works that way with partners too... Here's the basics, stop taking yourself so seriously, you're not that important, state your expectations up front, provide non-judgmental feedback, ask how you can help them, and finally discuss roles prior to your next call, even as simply as "this is your tech, I'll play stretcher fetcher." Pre-hospital is 99% communication, not the cool little tricks that we do with drugs and electricity. Work on your communication skills, that is basic, first....

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
O I was fortunate enough to take part in an elite para-military training program that is taught by a very experienced ems team.

So you have probably realised by now that a few people have taken issue with this sentence. And a common question has been "What makes it elite?", to which I'd like to add, "Do you think EMS is paramilitary?", and "Why is this important?".

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'm assuming you're trying to tell us that you've had the benefit of a good training program, and that you don't realise that presenting yourself like this makes it seem like you think rather highly of yourself.

It was drilled into us the importance of having SOPs in place for many many scenarios including on-scene management- they have come up with these SOPs sadly out of many bad incidents of pt and EMS illness, injury and deaths.
needless to say, these "rules" are as good as gold for me and anyone who as been thru this training...

But now you're having to work with someone who hasn't trained in the same manner, and problems are arising. The question here is what are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to chance the organisational behaviour of this entire organisation so that everyone does things your way? Or do you just want to fix the problem with this individual partner?

Our first call (I'm the tech) we get on scene, he runs into the house-no communication with me, no equipment,

Well this is an issue, right? He should be helping you carry the kits in, if you're running the show. He shouldn't just run in by himself. So how's about, talking to him and saying "Hey man, I noticed on the last call you just ran into the house without any gear, and left me behind to carry the kits. I thought I was running the show? Next time, can you stay and help me carry the stuff in?".

]He cuts me off & starts interviewing her (while standing over her strattled).

So two problems. A major problem: he's interfering with your scene management and patient assessment by interrupting you. So let's try "Hey man, I couldn't help but notice on the last call, you kept on interrupting me? Would you mind letting me interview the patient next time?"

Secondary problem -- he's straddling the patient. It could be scarey for her. And there's a small chance he might accidentally step on her if he's clumsy. I'd probably let this slide now and deal with it on a later day, but... "Did you know you were straddling that little old lady during the last call? She looked a little excited, I think you livened up her day."

I send him for a LB & collar bag. I do my rapid exam, he comes back & you guessed it: Starts HIS rapid exam....

Ok. So this is a problem too. He's interrupting your assessment and scene management. How's about, "Hey, on the last call, when you came back from the truck, I noticed you did a physical examination on the patient. I'd already done this. Do you think next time you could just stand back and let me do my thing, until I ask you for help?".

I had to literally tell him (nicely) to step off.

Why?

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just thinking I might let him carry on doing it for a bit. Maybe give him the clipboard, let him sit in the back of the truck, write up the call, and drive to the hospital and go get a coffee.

at which point he backs up crosses his arms, laughs & says "okay boss".....we finally get transporting & hes on his phone-while responding @ about 75mph.

Ok, so you had some tension on scene. This is unprofessional, and it's likely that you contributed to it. Ask yourself, could you have dealt with this situation differently, so that the patient didn't have to witness this behaviour? I'm not saying you're at fault --- your partner sounds like an ***. Just that any time this sort of thing happens in public, everyone looks like an idiot. So it's often better to compromise a little, and address it afterwards.

I'm assuming you have an issue with him driving 75 mph (was this reasonable for the environment he was driving in?), and / or using his cell phone while driving (is this illegal where you are?). If so, maybe talk to him. "Hey, on that last call, it seemed like we were going a little fast, and you were using your cell. I got in a bad accident a couple of years back, and I get really scared when someone driving is using their cell. Any chance you could stop doing that?".

We proceed for the rest of the 24 to not talk out of mutual distain.

Sounds like fun. Did you get to repeat this call 20 times?

I understand being new, and I understand not wanting to rock the boat until you have an idea of who this guy's friends are, and how he's regarded within the organisation. But don't you think you could have talked about this without it going nuclear?

-I over heard him complaining that he's got more seniority & he's the "lead" on all traumas....& how our boss will be getting an e-mail over my actions:sad:.

Fine. So he's saying stuff about you behind your back. Not particularly nice behaviour. But then, aren't you eavesdropping, too?

His attitude sounds terrible, but really what happens if he sends the email to his boss. You get called into the office. What are you going to say? "Well it seemed like maybe there was a little friction between the two of us, but I'm surprised he chose to make a formal complaint, as he didn't bother to talk to me about any of this at the time. I think this situation could be avoided, and we wouldn't be wasting your time right now, if we'd just discussed this when it occurred. How's about <partner> and I go and get a coffee, and talk this over and see if we can't resolve things without anything formal being initiated?". Sounds good, right? Who's going to look stupid there? Hopefully no one.

Should I "go with the flow" of the half -a** private service, or try to teach them what I know to be a better way?

Probably neither. I would start with, from now on, talking respectfully to your partner after any call in which an issue like this comes up. I would try and make some friendships in the organisation, and avoid unnecessary confrontation. However, when the call get's messed up, you need to talk to your partner and sort things out.

I feel as though it will be said upon deaf ears with this know-it-all type bunch.

See, and this is a problem. You've had a bad experience with one partner? How has the whole service become a "know-it-all bunch?".

Have you considered the possibility that there are things that you are doing that are contributing to the situations you're finding yourself in?

You've been doing this for 8 years, right?` This cannot be the first time you've had some sort of conflict due to something that happened on a call.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Okay so, I am fairly new to a private company providing 911 service to a large town. My background is 8 years (6 bls, 2 als). I was fortunate enough to take part in an elite para-military training program that is taught by a very experienced ems team. It was drilled into us the importance of having SOPs in place for many many scenarios including on-scene management- they have come up with these SOPs sadly out of many bad incidents of pt and EMS illness, injury and deaths.
needless to say, these "rules" are as good as gold for me and anyone who as been thru this training...
So here I am at this private company...I get this newer medic as a partner (about a year total bls & als). I come in at 0655 to find him & about 6 bls members talking in the crew room...he finally comes out to check our truck out at 0715, asking what is left to do...:glare:
Our first call (I'm the tech) we get on scene, he runs into the house-no communication with me, no equipment, nada:unsure:....it's a older lady who's fallen(no biggie here). He cuts me off & starts interviewing her (while standing over her strattled). I send him for a LB & collar bag. I do my rapid exam, he comes back & you guessed it: Starts HIS rapid exam....I had to literally tell him (nicely) to step off. at which point he backs up crosses his arms, laughs & says "okay boss".....we finally get transporting & hes on his phone-while responding @ about 75mph.
We proceed for the rest of the 24 to not talk out of mutual distain.-I over heard him complaining that he's got more seniority & he's the "lead" on all traumas....& how our boss will be getting an e-mail over my actions:sad:. The boss & supervisors I've noticed will only really take action on people who interfere with the bottom line ($$$).
Should I "go with the flow" of the half -a** private service, or try to teach them what I know to be a better way? I feel as though it will be said upon deaf ears with this know-it-all type bunch.
Sigh.....
Any ideas on dealing with a new medic/company like this???

Wow. You think quite highly of yourself.

A few suggestions.

You obviously have more experience than this medic. Take that experience and offer to help or coach him. Tell him what you noticed and try to work together not leave him to flounder or keep acting like he is. Be nice with the approach and not overbearing.

When he is on the phone and driving ask him to hang up. If he wants to do the exam then let him and watch to see what the findings are. Let him have the trauma call-means less work for you and help him out with what he needs.

Eat some humble pie, get down off your high horse and help a newer person out.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OP, a word of advice about EMTLIFE?

Usually, after about the tenth reply, it pays to stop reading and send messages to anyone you want to converse with more.

OP
OP
B

BasicFirst

Forum Probie
Just an update...working again with this partner...I approached the day in a positive way ":) goodmorning-how's things-wanna grab coffee?" -all that nice nice bs & was literally ignored.
Then we get called to out main hq. driving like an *** again & texting. I get there to find out it's because I was not communicating-he threatened to quit if something wasn't done about me...
When asked what the deal was I handed my phone over w/ a pic I took of him texting & driving on the xway & he was terminated...
Dirty I kno, but he shouldn't have 'gone to the teachers office' to complain

JsonAre

Forum Probie
This may sound a bit harsh, but using a cellphone while responding is a fireable offense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Sounds like the pork thread.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

JsonAre

Forum Probie
And last time I checked you’re supposed to follow the speed limit even while responding with lights and sirens. Grow a back bone and say something, if someone is making me feel unsafe on a fire call I’d sure as hell say something,especially if they’re going 75 mph. They are endangering themself and the patient you’re providing care to.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
And last time I checked you’re supposed to follow the speed limit even while responding with lights and sirens.

Maybe just your state... To my knowledge it's "Drive with due regard" and the general rule of thumb- or may be written somewhere- is not more than 15mph over (not that I agree with driving that fast)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've worked single and dual medic trucks. I've had this issue when I've been on BLS trucks more than ALS trucks. This issue is when the NON primary provider steps in and starts doing his/her thing. With a little bit of practice and mutual understanding, these things can sometimes be corrected without issue.