Diagnostic equipment

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sadly, ambulances in a particular EMS council in VA were REQUIRED to carry these as recently as 2004....

They were required to have "a backup airway" and they could pick which ones, IIRC. We had combitubes right up till we switched to Kings.

Sadly, ambulances in a particular EMS council in VA were REQUIRED to carry these as recently as 2004....

We can still use Esophageal Detector Devices instead of capnography....it's embarrassing really.

33. THIRTY THREE. :) Who cares that in the dark ages, they let adolescents do this?

If it makes you feel any better I'm at least an EMS woolly mammoth at this point. Firetender? EMS amoeba.....

The reason your a dinosaur is the same reason I'm a mammoth, they DID let adolescents do this...

Last edited by a moderator:
They were required to have "a backup airway" and they could pick which ones, IIRC. We had combitubes right up till we switched to Kings.

Maybe it was just Warren County that had a fetish for EOAs, because you could find one on nearly every truck in the county.

This has been a very helpful thread to the OP.

I'm going to add one more thing to the list of diagnostic equipment I need every time I find myself in a dark alley with no help.

A tri-quarter. I really need a tri-quarter.

Tricorder. I don't think 3 quarters will get you very far in a dark alley :P

We might have come up with more helpful suggestions if the OPs name wasn't "Wireless Solutions" which makes me strongly suspect they are selling something.

The EOA sucked eggs. As an EMT-D back in the day I was running codes armed with an EOA (or the even more sucktastic EGTA) and an LP5 with the optional cassette recorder.

So, I guess I'm an EMS dino, too.

This has been a very helpful thread to the OP.

I'm going to add one more thing to the list of diagnostic equipment I need every time I find myself in a dark alley with no help.

A tri-quarter. I really need a tri-quarter.

Tricorder. I don't think 3 quarters will get you very far in a dark alley :P

We might have come up with more helpful suggestions if the OPs name wasn't "Wireless Solutions" which makes me strongly suspect they are selling something.

They are, but I think the bigger issue is that a STEMI is not something an EMT, basic, or FR can even diagnose...much less treat. It is well beyond the scope of practice for those levels, so there is no need to have diagnostic equipment for them.

The EOA sucked eggs. As an EMT-D back in the day I was running codes armed with an EOA (or the even more sucktastic EGTA) and an LP5 with the optional cassette recorder.

So, I guess I'm an EMS dino, too.

Those tapes were the best, though. Never a dull moment listening to them.

I think there is no reason except money why Basics could not carry and record 12-leads, diverting and activating for STEMIs based on either transmission or computer interpretation.

EOAs are still required on ALL ambulances in Rhode Island. Frowny Face.

I think there is no reason except money why Basics could not carry and record 12-leads, diverting and activating for STEMIs based on either transmission or computer interpretation.

If a company is going to spend $20-30,000 to purchase a, for example sake, lifepak-15 then they may as well spend $20,000 on training two EMTs to be medics. They get paid more for an ALS transport.

If a company is going to spend $20-30,000 to purchase a, for example sake, lifepak-15 then they may as well spend $20,000 on training two EMTs to be medics. They get paid more for an ALS transport.

The ideal device would cost between $3,000 and $7,000 and incorporate an AED and a 12-Lead ECG, either with transmission or printer capabilities.

Something like the Physio-Control ReadyLink with an AED.

The ideal device would cost between $3,000 and $7,000 and incorporate an AED and a 12-Lead ECG, either with transmission or printer capabilities.

Something like the Physio-Control ReadyLink with an AED.

Does an AED/12-lead capable device exist outside of a full telemetry device?

I don't know much on the financial end of things but was under the impression that the primary cost of a monitor was its 12 lead capability. Is pulseox, ETCO2, NIBP really that much of an additional cost by comparison?

Does an AED/12-lead capable device exist outside of a full telemetry device?

I don't know much on the financial end of things but was under the impression that the primary cost of a monitor was its 12 lead capability. Is pulseox, ETCO2, NIBP really that much of an additional cost by comparison?

That'd be somewhat correct. Each of those "features" are usually licensed from some other company...which you pay to integrate into your monitor. Cardiac monitor user manuals these days look like something in a NASCAR race :)

ReadyLink is pretty cheap, it just needs an AED bolted onto it.

As an aside, I see no use in spending money on a computerized analysis if the 12-Lead will be transmitted.

That'd be somewhat correct. Each of those "features" are usually licensed from some other company...which you pay to integrate into your monitor. Cardiac monitor user manuals these days look like something in a NASCAR race :)

ReadyLink is pretty cheap, it just needs an AED bolted onto it.

In the meantime, a separate AED and 12-lead device are a fairly cost-effective approach.

In the meantime, a separate AED and 12-lead device are a fairly cost-effective approach.

A Zoll AED Pro with real-time CPR feedback and the ReadyLink would be pretty schweet...if ReadyLink wasn't saddled with the non-free LIFENET system.

Back