Desperate Student becoming Firefighter/EMT and confused...

Whatawaste9218

Forum Probie
Hello I am a college student in Southern Orange County interested in becoming a firefighter/emt. I am in the Explorers program and looking to take on the Fire Technology program at Santa Ana College as well as the EMT class there. I have heard many different things as far as education and what is needed and/or expected in todays competitive world.

I don't want to waste time getting a two-year degree in say general education if I can just get my fire classes done, become EMT certified, work for an ambulance company for a couple years and then look for firefighter jobs.

Do I need more education than the Fire Tech program at Santa Ana College, EMT certification and just pass the Bittle Exam to become a Firefighter in a few years.

Also I am only 19 years old and just found out my girlfriend is pregnant and is due in January 2012. So I don't have the liberty of going and getting a 2 or 4 year degree and completing my fire classes and emt.

I am confused, need help and at this point can't afford to waste time.

Please help, thanks.

medicstudent101

Forum Lieutenant
Although it's nice to have your FF 1&2, most fire services will put you through their own training. I'd highly recommend going straight for your medic after you get your emt. I wouldn't normally recommend that one bit but under your circumstance, It's probably the best route. Hope that helps and good luck!

OP
OP
W

Whatawaste9218

Forum Probie
--medicstudent101 are you saying to not go to fire classes?

Yeah I've read up on Fire Battalion Chiefs in California and there "Road to Success" and some get a two-year, some a 4-year, and some say it doesn't necessarily help you but paramedic license can drastically help you because most people wanting to become firefighters don't have their paramedic license do they?

Also if anyone knows where to go in Southern Orange County for Paramedic license please let me know.

medicstudent101

Forum Lieutenant
Don't get me wrong, having a 2yr AS in the fire sciences wouldn't be bad by any means. Just saying that if you had to choice between the FF1&2 thing or your medic. Go for your medic. If at all possible go through the FF1&2 classes AND get you medic. But if you could only choose one, then go for your medic.

OP
OP
W

Whatawaste9218

Forum Probie
Okay well I cant go to Medic school until EMT-certified right? How do I get into Medic school after EMT certified?

medicstudent101

Forum Lieutenant
Exactly. You have to get your emt prior to going for your medic. You just have to look and ask around. I'm sure your instructors would be an invaluable source to weed out the bad programs.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Get your EMT and then get your Medic. Medic will help you alot. If you don't have the money or time to get a degree then don't worry about. I have the time and the money to get a degree but I'm not going to go for it. I'm an EMT and I really like being an EMT. The only reason I want to get medic is for the better pay and because it's alot easier to get hired as a medic.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Does anyone else have any advice I would like to hear different peoples perspectives....

Thanks

Im in Orange County too...

right now in southern California (even in California as a whole) FF jobs are extremely rare.. and for each position there are a few thousand applicants..

id get your EMT first...then get your medic.. in CA you have to have a year EMT exp before you can enroll in Medic School

keep up the explorer program, then when your too old for it. join the reserves..

i wouldnt waste my time with a Fire Tech Degree... theres not much you can do with it other than become a fire fighter.. if you have extra time sure take a few fire tech classes at the local CC

but i know alot of departments would rather see your reserve experience over a fire tech degree..

then just apply everywhere as much as you can and youll get in eventually

terrible one

Always wandering
only get your medic if you actually want to work as a medic (what a weird concept). If not you'll hate your time on the squad/box anyway and provide crappy care.
Don't be fooled, while having a p-card may open more application doors there are just as many paramedics looking for jobs as FF's as there are EMTs.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
id get your EMT first...then get your medic.. in CA you have to have a year EMT exp before you can enroll in Medic School

That's going to depend on the school/program and not the state.

Fire jobs are extremely competitive. If you can get both FF1-2/Fire Tech and Medic go that route. The better you look on paper the better your chances are of getting an opportunity to interview. To get a job you need to get an interview first.

Yea there's just as many medics applying as EMTs but I'd be willing to bet the department is going to be more stoked on hiring a paramedic>EMT. Even if you don't operate as a medic, it shows commitment.

OP
OP
W

Whatawaste9218

Forum Probie
Goal to become a Firefighter

I live in Southern Orange County and recently just found out I have a baby coming and I am only 19 years old.

My goal in life is to become a firefighter. I know that with a baby on the way I will be limited with time and the ease of being able to go to school as easily.

I am asking for advice on what would I need to land a job as a firefighter in California. I have set my goals to get my EMT and work for an ambulance while starting the Santa Ana Fire Tech program to get my FF 1. If this is enough to land a FF job please let me know and if not please tell me what I can do that wont take me years and years of schooling.

Thanks

Nick

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
Like others said get your medic first, AS in fire science is pretty easy to get eventually if you do 1 class at a time. Of course, if for some reason you're really good at oral interviews and blow people out of their chairs. For big depts like LA city/county, OCFA... and so on all you need is pulse, drivers license, and the ability to pass their written test, to get an interview (which is 99% of the hiring process in my opinion).

Not to crush your hopes, but I worked for an ambulance service in southern orange county, and 99% of employees also wanted to be firefighters. Most had their AA, their fire academy, a good amount went on to get their paramedic. In this economy don't be surprised when you're competing with a bunch of people with same certs as you and more.

LHKJohn

Forum Probie
Like others said get your medic first, AS in fire science is pretty easy to get eventually if you do 1 class at a time. Of course, if for some reason you're really good at oral interviews and blow people out of their chairs. For big depts like LA city/county, OCFA... and so on all you need is pulse, drivers license, and the ability to pass their written test, to get an interview (which is 99% of the hiring process in my opinion).

Not to crush your hopes, but I worked for an ambulance service in southern orange county, and 99% of employees also wanted to be firefighters. Most had their AA, their fire academy, a good amount went on to get their paramedic. In this economy don't be surprised when you're competing with a bunch of people with same certs as you and more.

This. I would work on getting your EMT then Paramedic first if that is truly what you want to do. When you get a job on an ambulance, you can take a Fire Science class here and there if you want. I did the total opposite and feel like I wasted so much time, because there are far more Fire department tests that require a Paramedic license than tests that require a FF1 IMO.