Desensitizing?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I was nauseous when I watched a spinal tap training video (and went on to assist in a dozen or so, mostly on kids, without issues), and the smell from a diabetic who died of DKA and was lying in the sun in a window seat for a few hours before he was discovered.
Otherwise, too busy figuring out what to do now and next.
That odor might get me as well.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Personally, I can't stand long, nasty clots from bloody noses...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Blood clots in general are definitely my biggest weakness. I don't like poop either. Not going to lie, I've had a few clots that I've watched people spit out that made me gag in the back of the ambulance. Luckily I was behind the patient.

OP, like many have said, the more you see something the less it bothers you. Also I've found that when a patient is sick and there's a lot going on I don't really notice how gross something is until we talk about it later.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Vomit. I don't do vomit. Puke on me and I will struggle not to puke back. I will give you 8 of Zofran if you were nauseated a week ago.

That said, it rarely affects me when I'm busy. If I have an honest to goodness sick patient I rarely notice as I'm busy with other things.