Department of the Army paramedic?

NightHealer865

Nationally Registered Paramedic
Does anyone have any experience working as a paramedic as a DOD civilian? I am a current federal employee with the department of the Air Force, a US army vet and am looking at applying for a paramedic spot at Ft Benning. GS-7 level position, but I’d have SAFEPAY making me a GS-9.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Does anyone have any experience working as a paramedic as a DOD civilian? I am a current federal employee with the department of the Air Force, a US army vet and am looking at applying for a paramedic spot at Ft Benning. GS-7 level position, but I’d have SAFEPAY making me a GS-9.
A few former coworkers work for Fort Carson EMS (Colorado Springs). Great equipment and medical direction but lots of transfers from the base hospital to larger city facilities. They are also supposed to spend time working in the ED when there's downtime, not sure how it works at other installations. Obviously you are familiar with the pay and benefits which are quite nice as well.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
What do you want to know?

OP
OP
NightHealer865

NightHealer865

What do you want to know?
I was selected for a position and was wanting an overview of the day to day life as a paramedic on post

MedicJon88

Forum Crew Member
I was a federal subcontractor at Minot Airforce base. It was an unusual posting because the base was technically only BLS as the hospital was no longer and it was just a clinic for base personnel and also attached was a VA clinic. So technically you are the only ACLS provider on base besides the dental clinic when they use sedation.

Shift change per usual, check rig, check meds/narcs. Daily education for you and the 4Ns- usually a review of protocol or treatment or whatever you find to teach. Once or twice a week you have a Flight level meeting. Sometimes you assist with after hour care with wound change. VS checks for people that come to the clinic after hours not feeling well. And you respond to on-base 911 calls or flight line emergencies. There isn't really any medical control per se, AFSC protocols. Call the nearby receiving ER if you want to deviate. If you want some direction there is a "Flight Doc"- on-call always you can consult. It was a cushy job, if I was close to retirement or semi-retired I would have stayed on- but I was bored out of my mind.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
If you get SAFEPAY as a GS09 on an Army base you have it made. There is only 2 bases that medics are GS 09: Ft Leonard Wood, and 1 other one (that I can't think of right now). About 4 or 5 are GS 08.
I work on an Army Base in the West, and we are in the process of being bumped from 07 to 08's. (which is a royal pain in the rear, we have to reapply for our jobs).
Ft. Benning should be busy, since it is a larger (people wise) base; you may or may not end up in the ED on down times (some bases do, some don't).
You may end up with a lot of off base transfers for civilians from the base hospital; most bases do.

Ours are all off base transports, but we don't have a hospital. Ours is also extremely slow, but we are on the largest military base in the US, but least populated base (both living and working). We are lucky if we have 1 patient transport per week spread across all crews. That includes off base runs. We cover an area about 40 x 80 miles (on and off base). Closest hospital is 42 miles from main gate, and level II is 78 miles and level I is 88 miles.
Helicopter may be 30-45 minutes away.

OP
OP
NightHealer865

NightHealer865

If you get SAFEPAY as a GS09 on an Army base you have it made. There is only 2 bases that medics are GS 09: Ft Leonard Wood, and 1 other one (that I can't think of right now). About 4 or 5 are GS 08.
I work on an Army Base in the West, and we are in the process of being bumped from 07 to 08's. (which is a royal pain in the rear, we have to reapply for our jobs).
Ft. Benning should be busy, since it is a larger (people wise) base; you may or may not end up in the ED on down times (some bases do, some don't).
You may end up with a lot of off base transfers for civilians from the base hospital; most bases do.

Ours are all off base transports, but we don't have a hospital. Ours is also extremely slow, but we are on the largest military base in the US, but least populated base (both living and working). We are lucky if we have 1 patient transport per week spread across all crews. That includes off base runs. We cover an area about 40 x 80 miles (on and off base). Closest hospital is 42 miles from main gate, and level II is 78 miles and level I is 88 miles.
I didn’t end up getting a 9. But the stepped me out as a 7. So I’m making the same pay I was at my old job. I’m just swaying a firm offer and EOD now. Thanks for the info. Care if I message you?

Phoebster2000

Forum Ride Along

Hey, @johnrsemt could you please pm me, I have a question about GS grading