Deaf EMT

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I have a question, I started riding back on the EMS truck again and I am deaf in one ear, which means I have Right sensorineural hearing loss. How does your unit or service accommodate Deaf/Hard of Hearing EMT's. What special skills should a Deaf EMT learn, such has how to take a Blood pressure and Lung sounds for deaf/Hard of Hearing EMT's. What Equipment should be helpful for Deaf/Hard of Hearing EMT's. How can my place where I work accommodate Deaf and Hard of Hearing EMT's and what is your place's best practices. What experience do you have for working with Deaf/Hard of Hearing EMT's.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I knew your thread sounded similar, I had to go back to 2012 to locate it.

Reading the replies there, it seems your topic fell on deaf ears.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Anyone who needs to ask this question the way you have multiple times probably isn’t interested in a real answer, bro.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a question, I started riding back on the EMS truck again and I am deaf in one ear, which means I have Right sensorineural hearing loss. How does your unit or service accommodate Deaf/Hard of Hearing EMT's. What special skills should a Deaf EMT learn, such has how to take a Blood pressure and Lung sounds for deaf/Hard of Hearing EMT's. What Equipment should be helpful for Deaf/Hard of Hearing EMT's. How can my place where I work accommodate Deaf and Hard of Hearing EMT's and what is your place's best practices. What experience do you have for working with Deaf/Hard of Hearing EMT's.
I can answer only your last question.

For almost 10 years, I worked for a paramedic who was deaf in one ear. He ran the department, so it would have been relatively easy for him to establish practices or make rules to accommodate himself, but he didn't. Instead, he followed the same departmental policies he'd instituted for the rest of us.

He may have used special tools. I wouldn't know because it wasn't evident and was never an issue. He was as good at the job as the rest of us, or better. Partly for those reasons, he had our respect.

If you'd interviewed with that guy, and asked him the same questions you posted (twice), I think he would have responded constructively and realistically with a question of his own: "To what extent are you willing and able to adapt to our workplace?"

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I’ve been deaf in my right ear my whole life. I’ve never had to use any special equipment or accommodations. Most I’ve ever had to do is ask a patient to repeat an answer to a question. Some of my coworkers also have hearing issues from their time in the military and don’t have any issues either. What accommodations are you looking for?