Deaf EMT's

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Anyone have experience working with deaf EMT's. Being a member of the US Coast Guard Auxiliary and deaf in one ear. I'm trying to get back on the Ambulance and brush up on my BLS skills. I'm finding it hard to find a Vol EMS group in Ct to take me on because being Deaf in one ear, makes it hard for VOL EMS groups to take on a Deaf EMT. I'm wondering, if their are any Vol EMS groups in Ct that have experience in working with Deaf EMT and are willing to take on a Deaf EMT.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Are you Deaf?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Probably not what you want to hear but I have decent hearing and I still have trouble hearing some patients, especially in the back of a moving ambulance. Some patients are quiet and others are just downright hard to understand. Add in flowing oxygen, AC/heat, or a vent fan and it can get pretty difficult.

Not saying it isn't possible but it definitely wont make it any easier for you.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
The deaf EMT is what?

Last edited by a moderator:

leoemt

Forum Captain
As long as you can competently demonstrate the required skills, including auscultating a BP and lung sounds then you should not have a problem.

The issue I could see would be the cause of your deafness. If it was traumatic injury you would most likely be fine, however if it was illness related it may make an employer nervous depending on the illness and any possibility of future occurances.

Federal law prohibits an employer from denying you employment due to disability providing you can still function in the job. Federal law also prohibits an employer from asking about any possible medical conditions you may have. The exception being they can verify that you can safely perform all the required tasks of the job.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I am born deaf in right ear due to a genetic condition. I have been an EMT since 1998 and the last time I worked on an Ambulance was in 2003. I just want to get back on the Ambulance to brush up on my EMT and BLS skills. It's hard to get back on the Ambulance because most VOL EMS groups don't want to take on a Deaf EMT and think I am a liability.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
The agency I took my initial EMT through had a deaf paramedic for many years. Everyone thought very highly of her.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
If it's the ear that faces your partner while driving that might work out pretty well.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I am born deaf in right ear due to a genetic condition. I have been an EMT since 1998 and the last time I worked on an Ambulance was in 2003. I just want to get back on the Ambulance to brush up on my EMT and BLS skills. It's hard to get back on the Ambulance because most VOL EMS groups don't want to take on a Deaf EMT and think I am a liability.

Are you able to function without an interpreter?