Day or Night?

Which do you work most?

• Day

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Night

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • About the same of both

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • I don't really know. Who cares anyway?

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
I'm a student so not working in EMS yet. My work schedule is usually Friday-Tuesday 2300-0700 but I have recently been having to work 1900-0700 on Saturday and Sunday. 48 hours a week for work and then 8 hours of school not including study time does not leave a lot of time for the husband. I am ok working night shift the only thing that sucks is my husband works days, so working opposite schedules and not having the same days off gets to me sometimes but there isn't much I can do about it.

Labareda

Forum Probie
I used to get more action during day. But I prefer to take runs during night. I allways liked night and the city lights, and watching the Ambulance lights reflected in the windows and signs on the streets, it makes it all worth. :D

medic417

The Truth Provider
I honestly wish we could do away with 24 hour shifts. I have never believed they were safe.

Actually in slow services in rural areas it is not a problem. We do much longer than 24 hour shifts quite often. But the odds are we will get more sleep and time sitting at the station than calls. In busy services I agree they are dangerous. EMS is not a one size fits all business.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Actually in slow services in rural areas it is not a problem. We do much longer than 24 hour shifts quite often. But the odds are we will get more sleep and time sitting at the station than calls. In busy services I agree they are dangerous. EMS is not a one size fits all business.

Quoted for truth. Work 96 hours straight here and consider it to be a good shift when I get more than 1 call.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Quoted for truth. Work 96 hours straight here and consider it to be a good shift when I get more than 1 call.

Only way to staff many remote areas is to have long shifts so people can afford to drive in and work there.

Paladin

Forum Crew Member
I do both days and nights. I mainly prefer nights more than days. Some of my better reasons are that their is no administration( you know what they say about when the cat is away) plus the night shift I realized that because there are no supv. there is a closer bond and comraderie between us. Oh yea plus more work and sleep.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
1700-0500. Never have liked day shifts. That fireball in the sky scares me!!!!!!!!

What is that thing!??

Some people I work with.....like to bathe in it....sounds like witchcraft to me.

I stay away from it. Nights for me.

lizhiniatsos

Forum Crew Member
it all runs together for me...is it day? or night? which year? hmmm....maybe I've been here toooooo long :)

where I am now we work 72-96 hours straight then get 3/4 days off....it's a slow station, most of the time... you know how that can go. I prefer nights, I feel certain that I'm part bat, part vampire, with a teeny, tiny, eensy, weensy bit of 'light' in there somewhere...just have yet to find it:)

OP
OP
lightsandsirens5

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
it all runs together for me...is it day? or night? which year? hmmm....maybe I've been here toooooo long :)

Ha ha! I never know weather I should put the date you are paged out on or the date you deliver the person to the hospital, when you fill out the report.:p

lizhiniatsos

Forum Crew Member
...I know EXACTLY what you mean! I frequently confer with my ALOC patients to decide which day it is...and if it even matters ;)

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
Still in class, but from my time in the Marine Corps, I have found that I dont mind the late shift. Im also a net controller for the local Skywarn system, and more often than not, I find that Im one of the few that will take a night net. Some of the nets will run all night.

OP
OP
lightsandsirens5

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
...I know EXACTLY what you mean! I frequently confer with my ALOC patients to decide which day it is...and if it even matters ;)

Goes like this:

Me: Hey Bob!

Bob: *yawn* What?

Me: Should I put the day we were paged on or the day it is now?

Bob: (Comes arond corner with tired look.) Do I look like I care? Just put something, finish the report and we can get back to bed.