Day or Night?

Which do you work most?

• Day

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Night

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • About the same of both

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • I don't really know. Who cares anyway?

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Well I looked for it but I couldn't find it. If you do KEV, just have this one deleted. (Or post a dead horse!)

Do you work mostly days, nights, about the same.....?

Which do you prefer?

Why?

I do more nights, but I like the day shifts better.

I am a volunteer. We do get more calls during the day, but I also have to work (on my farm) during the day.

tydek07

Forum Captain
Right now its a little of each. I would love to work nights 100% of the time, but it just messes with your life so much ;)

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Work 24's so I guess straight down the middle. If I were working 12's I'd take nights since that's when all the fun calls come in, not huge on the stacked up transports all day.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I do Wed-Saturday nights, and I love it. You will have to pry my shift from my cold dead fingers (with apologies!!!) Yup, I'm heading into work soon....

JPINFV

Gadfly
5am-10pm or 5am-midnight shifts, so it's about even of both.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Saturday, Sunday, Monday, 1700-0630

reaper

Working Bum
1700-0500. Never have liked day shifts. That fireball in the sky scares me!!!!!!!!

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I run 48s - so straight down the middle. I prefer calls during the day... the second 24 is difficult if we've been running calls all night.

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
In my job we work 3-8. So I call that day shift. But I'm not in EMS.

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
evenings....

I work mostly days, but I'm a fan of evenings. I try to work doubles[8am-midnight] when I can. I hate overnights. I value sleep.

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
I worked days for 6 years, been on nights for a year and a half. I can't imagine going back now.

At night:

- not as hot outside
- less BS (still plenty, just peppered a bit more b/w actual emergencies)
- a little more downtime (usually)
- no traffic!
- NO ADMIN

The major drawback to working at night is the interruption of your circadian rhythms and having to bounce back and forth between being awake days and nights when you have had a few days off. But I think it's worth it. The idea of working a dayshift now gives me a headache.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
The major drawback to working at night is the interruption of your circadian rhythms and having to bounce back and forth between being awake days and nights when you have had a few days off.

For those of us who work nights (and like it):

How many keep the day sleep schedule on off days???? Am I the only one?

motownems

Forum Probie
I usually sleep at my volley station on the weekends… its easer for me to just wake up and go rather then having to drive back to the station when we get a call…. so I guess that counts as the night a shift

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
I work a 3-2-2-3. On my 2 day stretches off I usually keep the night schedule, but on my three day weekends off I inevitably end up shifting back to being up during the daytime. I show up Monday nights having either way overslept, or having already been up for the last 12 hours.

I'm used to it by now, and like I said, the benefits outweight the drawbacks for me.

OP
OP
lightsandsirens5

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Boy, I didn't realize the different hours people were on! I assumed it was something even, like we go 0600-1800 day shift and 1800-0600 night shift. I'd never be able to figure out this 5-10 or 8-3 thing! lol I guess the subject is a little more complicated than I thought.

JPINFV

Gadfly
5-10 is easy... small company.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
24-hour shifts at my station.

oldschoolmedic

Forum Lieutenant
We have people working straight eights (transport and QRVs), twelves, and 24/72s. I work straight twelves on days.

I like days, no messed up sleep schedules, no circadian problems, sleep in your own bed every night, tuck my kids into bed at night, etc...

I honestly wish we could do away with 24 hour shifts. I have never believed they were safe.