CVA disrupts Alzheimers?

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
I had a pt yesterday that really puzzled me. The pt had a hx of Alzheimers listed and was being tx to Siskins for rehab for a CVA. The only thing that struck me was the pt was NOT showing signs of Alzheimers, she had obvious CVA symptoms (left side weakness upper and lower, and slurred speech), she answered all of my questions in a reasonable manner, it did take her a few minutes to get the words out but they were correct responses. I questioned her son upon arrival to Siskins about the Hx and he told me that the CVA had some how knocked out the Alzheimers and his mother was once again in her right mind. Any of you ever hear of this or come across it.........still has me scratching my head! :blink:

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
I’ve had a grandmother, and a great grandmother that suffered from Alzheimer’s. It is a strange disease, one day they may not know you, the next they may seem completely normal. (Especially in the early stages) Maybe the CVA is just a coincidence; she could just be having a good couple days. Maybe not, but it’s just a thought.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Yeah, if I was the son I wouldn't be too quick to get my hopes up. I've seen patients who are totally with-it and fine and the family tells me they have Alzheimer's. I've also seen patients who are disoriented one moment and have perfect clarity a few minutes later. I've also heard of people who have long periods of clarity interrupted occasionally by bouts of senility. It is indeed very mysterious.

OP
OP
K

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
It was in her records that she was struck with the Alzheimers in 1999 so she had progressed quite a bit in the disease. I make the trip to Siskins a few times a month and I plan on checking in on her just to see how she progresses, it is so facinating to me, I guess I should have went into neurology, i am facinated by it. I will keep everyone updated as to what my findings are, I am very curious to see what turns up.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Dec 2 2004, 11:05 AM
I've also heard of people who have long periods of clarity interrupted occasionally by bouts of senility.
There she goes talking about me again. Matt, can you do something about this? :p

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie+Dec 3 2004, 05:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ Dec 3 2004, 05:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt@Dec 2 2004, 11:05 AM
I've also heard of people who have long periods of clarity interrupted occasionally by bouts of senility.
There she goes talking about me again. Matt, can you do something about this? :p [/b][/quote]
If she was talking about you, she would have said, "long bouts of senility interrupted by occasional bouts of clarity."
:p :p

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
If she was talking about you, she would have said, "long bouts of senility interrupted by occasional bouts of clarity."
:p :p

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Chimpie,

LOL. No luck, rescuecpt runs the show around here.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
This is the worst birthday ever. :angry: not :p :D