Critical Thinking/College Composition Class.

atropine

Forum Captain
So obviously people on this fourm would like to see more education in the form of degrees, but how about for staters, people start with maybe a min. of 9 units/hours of English Comp or Critical Thinking classes.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Usually any degree will include some mandatory english or composition class.

Or is this a sarcastic allusion to our poor forum writing skills? :ph34r:

abuan

Forum Crew Member
who needs critical thinking when you have general orders? hahahahaha

i know it's impossible to know on the internet, but that was sarcasm.

NYBLS

Forum Lieutenant
Who needs critical thinking when you have general orders?

I know it's impossible to know on the internet, but that was sarcasm.

Good idea. Most college programs already require this though.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
9 units/hours of English Comp or Critical Thinking classes.

Most bachelors programs require six hours. Usually three hours of freshman composition and three of technical writing or something along those lines.

This thread brings back memories of my composition class where my final project was a successful paper and debate on why it's totally ethical and appropriate to use napalm in warfare, even against civilian populations. :D :lol: :beerchug: ^_^

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I see no sarcasm there. I completely agree, we should build a fund here so we can send some of our posters to critical thinking classes. We already have too many pHd's in critical speaking.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
This thread brings back memories of my composition class where my final project was a successful paper and debate on why it's totally ethical and appropriate to use napalm in warfare, even against civilian populations. :D :lol: :beerchug: ^_^

Now I'm curious. Do you still have said paper?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Firetender, your puns are subtle. Acid tongues indeed.

Agreed, OP, and also whatever they call "Industrial Psychology" nowadays (applied, evidence-based and pragmatic at it's best, but just doctrinaire BS when taught by the wrong person).

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Now I'm curious. Do you still have said paper?
I don't believe I still have the final draft (I have been looking for it for a couple of months now), but I do have one of the early revisions on my computer at home.

mycrofft

Nursing college didn't have critical thinking as a class.

One class had us draw the specifications for buying a medical device and we worked in teams; that was pretty good. Our clinical instructors were constantly having to balance between critical thinking and following protocols.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Nursing college didn't have critical thinking as a class.

That's freaking obvious based on most of the nurses I work with outside of the ICU and ED.

mycrofft

Oh. Ouch. Ooooh.

USAF, most of our new hires where I just left could do it but not in Englsh.
Reactive beancounter micromanagement is like entropy and Gresham's Law; it pushes out good management with bad, and in the end it's irreversible. And micromanegement replaces professional people with professional weasles or no-think-um's.

Last edited by a moderator:

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Composition and english are a given for any respectable degree.

What about delving into classes related to our field that would give providers a more educated perspective. Public Health, epidemiology, etc.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Any degree program worthy of the name is going to include some sort of liberal arts and humanities. Most paramedic programs I've seen at the AAS level require a composition course and a course in public speaking (not entirely sure about the benefit of the latter, but whatever).

My bachelor's degree required three to six credits of composition (depending on placement test scores) and six credits of English Lit. Just as a "for example." I think that's well within the norm.