1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Crashing airway patient

Discussion in 'Scenarios' started by Rialaigh, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Chase

Chase Flight Nurse

Education:
    EMT
    I have seen a precordial thump work once. The theory is sound, just like commotio cordis. I also like the idea of percussion pacing from the old school anesthesia literature. When I was a floor nurse I had a patient that kept going asystole on me and every time I did a sternal rub/thump his rhythm would pick back up and he would wake up for a few seconds then slow back down. Pretty cool and worked until the crash cart got there.

2. StCEMT

StCEMT Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    So when going for the thump...aim for the sternum and hit as hard as you can?

FireWA1 likes this.
  3. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Forum Deputy Chief Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    :D

4. FireWA1

FireWA1 Has no idea what I'm doing.

Education:
    Paramedic
    I bet you could even call it a "sternal rub" to make it a bls procedure.

StCEMT and VentMonkey like this.
  5. StCEMT

StCEMT Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    But isn't that how its done on TV? Be all dramatic, shout "DONT YOU DIE ON ME" and then hit them and they magically come back? Hollywood would never lie.
    That's a damn good rub then. :p

FireWA1 and VentMonkey like this.
  6. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Forum Deputy Chief Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    IMG_0133.JPG
    This is essentially what I was taught in school. Placing your elbow over their navel area should "in theory" generate enough force for it to be effective.

I would agree with an above post regarding its application in perhaps a commotio cordis situation what with the "R on T phenomenon", etc.

I am willing to bet on the handful of patients it had success on, they were at that rare part in the cardiac cycle, truly divine intervention.