• Our service does not allow it.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Laws governing EMS prohibits EMS workers from becoming coroners

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
There are 3 members in my service who are also coroners.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You mean deputy coroners, right?

Nice way to get a CWP here. We were under the Coroner's office for a while.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I know a retired Coroner who is an EMT now, but she never did both at the same time.

OP
OP
fortsmithman

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Here in the NWT they are coroners not deputy coroners with one chief coroner located in the territorial capital.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Not sure about where I live now but in my home town the county medical examiner is an EMT with the county EMS. He's been an EMT a lot longer though... it was kindda bad once, though, when I had to call him for a DOA and I had forgotten that he was working a two car MVA. Thankfully he has a deputy with an office job so situations like that are handled with ease.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
This is a dead topic.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Our state has never had the coroner title. Only licensed physician can act as a Medical Examiner/Coroner.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
There are none in my service.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I know of a Coroner (an MD, head honcho sort) out here who is also a paramedic, but I'm not sure if she uses it.

I heard of her because she takes CE at the same place I went for EMT-B, and she left us a bunch of awesome bumper stickers:

Don't Let the CORONER Be Your Designated Driver
DON'T DRINK & DRIVE!
Summit County Office of the Coroner

tydek07

Forum Captain
We do not have coroners on the service.
tydek

reaper

Working Bum
We do not have active employees that are deputy coroners. There are a few medics that have left to be deputy coroners.

Our Coroner is an elected official with no experience. The deputy coroners do all the field work and have the experience. We have a medical examiner that is the MD. He does all the autopsies.

Our deputy coroners are also sworn officers. They have the highest arrest powers in the county. They can have any LEO arrested, if they wanted too. It has happened once before, when an LEO blatantly disturbed a crime scene!

eric2068

Forum Crew Member
Are you kidding? Our Medical Director is our coroner.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
M.E is a local physician unaffiliated with EMS. Coroner is a member of the sheriff's department. I think they have two.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
One of our local family physicians is the coroner. Her duties are very limited, she essentially just tests fluids, doesn't do full autopsies.

I support the medical examiner line of thinking. A forensic pathologist should be the one making the final ruling on a death.