Contraindications to O2 Administration

firecoins

IFT Puppet

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Oxygen itself will not ignite because it is not flammable (we established that)... it is combustible.

A flammable gas on the other hand will obviously ignite because it is flammable given the chemical composition of the gas... it only needs oxygen and something to ignite it (ie heat source).

Oxygen is what allows things to burn. The greater the concentration of oxygen, the much cleaner the burn and much easier it will be for the reaction to occur.

Basically, with increased O2 concentrations, the reaction is sped up and doesnt have to try as hard to go boom.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Can anyone smarter than me (or at least anyone from fire -- not that those are mutually exclusive :p ) advise as to the actual "flammability" of 100% O2? My understanding was always that oxygen is not really flammable, per se, in the sense that it will ignite on its own; it's simply an accelerant for any flame which already exists. But then the story about the COPDer with the cannula and cigarette is a perennial favorite so I don't really know.

O2 isn't flammable. O2 is combustible.

The internet is a great thing. Whoever invented Google should be earmarked for sainthood.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_oxygen_burn

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Oxygen itself will not ignite because it is not flammable (we established that)... it is combustible.

A flammable gas on the other hand will obviously ignite because it is flammable given the chemical composition of the gas... it only needs oxygen and something to ignite it (ie heat source).

Oxygen is what allows things to burn. The greater the concentration of oxygen, the much cleaner the burn and much easier it will be for the reaction to occur.

Basically, with increased O2 concentrations, the reaction is sped up and doesnt have to try as hard to go boom.

No it is not. Again, I love the internet.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_oxygen_combustible

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Hehehe. Sorry Vent. My bad.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Fair enough, thanks guys.

got_shoes

Forum Crew Member
Currently the only true contraindication for O2 administration is paraquat poisioning, but this depends on the amount ingested or obsorbed by your pt. It also depends on how your pt. is presenting if said pt. is hypoxic then you would bag them on room air.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you have any sources on this?
It's a topic I've been trying to study for awhile.

reaper

Working Bum
Paraquat poisoning is rare, you may never see a case in your career. O2 is contradicted in mild poisoning. If the pt presents with SOB or severe hypoxia, then you provide O2 as normal. For mild SOB, you try to use low flow O2 and keep spo2 levels around 88-92%. In a severe poisoning case, death is almost guaranteed. So treat the pt as palliative care and assist them anyway you can.

I have seen one case in 20 years. That was in the orange groves in FL and it was being used illegally. You may come across it more as a suicide attempt.

So, never withhold O2 from a pt in respiratory distress.

JB42

Forum Crew Member
maybe that's what 2012 is all about
earth fall down go boom

Medic 1 respond to 3 Milky Way Drive, the Earth residence, for an approximately 4.55 billion year old rock, fallen, requires lift assist. Your call will be between Venus and Mars. Time of your tone, December 21st, 2012 0001 hrs.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
Wouldn't the administration of oxygen in a situation where the administering person acted in good faith in an attempt to help be protected by Good Samaritan laws or whatever local analogue may exist?

Like jamming asprin down a strangers throat because they had chest pain...None the less O2 is a drug.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
You may come across it more as a suicide attempt.

That is the only circumstance I've ever encountered it in, and that was not even in the US.

Do you have any sources on this? It's a topic I've been trying to study for awhile.

If you do a Pubmed search you should have no problem finding several reference on it, including a good discussion of a case in Pediatric Emergency Care circa 2006.