Contraindication of oxygen?

lisha

Forum Probie
So I have this homework assignment that includes the contraindications of oxygen, after much reading I have only come across contraindications for long term use of oxygen therapy. Is there really any contraindication of I guess what would be called as pre-hospital oxygen therapy?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Precautions? Sure. Indications? Definitely. Contraindications? Not really.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Pre-term infant with a ductal-dependent lesion.

technocardy

Forum Crew Member
So I have this homework assignment that includes the contraindications of oxygen, after much reading I have only come across contraindications for long term use of oxygen therapy. Is there really any contraindication of I guess what would be called as pre-hospital oxygen therapy?

This might sound silly but if the patient doesn't need oxygen, it's contraindicated.

A chest pain patient who has an SpO2 of 96% does not need O2.

Besides a patient with an adequate (>94%) SpO2, I'm not familiar with any.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Yes, supplemental oxygen is contraindicated in normoxemia.

I would also add pulmonary fibrosis as a relative contraindication.

Last edited by a moderator:

ABCDEFG

Forum Ride Along
there is indeed a contraindication of oxygen:

For a normal person, our bodies are triggered to breath by the levels of carbon dioxide detected in our blood by the brain. As funny as it may sound, our bodies are actually breathing to remove the carbon dioxide, not to get new oxygen. However, in many patients who have COPD, the body get used to the high levels of the carbon dioxide and there is nothing to trigger their bodies to breath. Therefore, it is the lower oxygen levels that cause these patients to breath.

So, giving these patients oxygen could actually cause them to stop breathing all together, which would no doubt be a contraindication!

Last edited by a moderator:

technocardy

Forum Crew Member

For a normal person, our bodies are triggered to breath by the levels of carbon dioxide detected in our blood by the brain. As funny as it may sound, our bodies are actually breathing to remove the carbon dioxide, not to get new oxygen. However, in many patients who have COPD, the body get used to the high levels of the carbon dioxide and there is nothing to trigger their bodies to breath. Therefore, it is the lower oxygen levels that cause these patients to breath.

So, giving these patients oxygen could actually cause them to stop breathing all together, which would no doubt be a contraindication!

What? This is NOT a contraindication for emergency use of supplemental oxygen in the pre-hospital setting!

High-concentration oxygen should not be withheld when required only because the patient might be a carbon dioxide retainer and stop breathing. In reality, this is quite unusual. Just make sure you closely monitor your patients neurologic status and respiratory effort.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Yes, supplemental oxygen is contraindicated in normoxemia.

After looking up the actual definition, I was being more strict on my interpretation. I could side with this line of thought.

And no to the hypoxic drive. If they're hypoxic and actually need oxygen, they'll get it. If they do decide to stop breathing (not likely), my service carries this really cool little gadget we're trialling called a "BVM". I'll probably just whip that fancy thing out and breathe for them. I'm not sure if other systems are carrying these yet or not, but they seem to work great when a person stops breathing... :unsure:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

You may want to read some modern literature on the subject. It is definitely over exaggerated and only happens rarely in a very specific subset of patients who you will likely not see outside of an ICU.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I read online that high levels of oxygen for an infant causes blindness by promoting overgrowth of the new blood vessels obstructing sight.

You know what else causes blindness?

Nevermind.....

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

True hypoxyic drive to breathe is very, very rare and it takes a while to overcome. In other words, in the prehospital environment, if your patient needs a high concentration of oxygen, you give them the oxygen. If you shut down their respiratory drive, you simply non-nonchalantly grab the BVM and go to work.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Ductal dependent lesions (i.e. transposition of the great vessels, anomalous pulmonary venous return, hypoplastic left heart syndrome, etc) depend on the fetal circulatory bypasses (foramen ovale, ductus arteriosus) in order to get oxygenated blood to the systemic circulation. Oxygen helps in closure of the ductus arteriosus.

Now in regards to oxygen therapy and EMS there's a few issues. First, how are you going to know that the child has unrepaired ductal dependent lesions? Next, if they do have such a lesion, then they need to be on prostaglandin to keep the ducts open anyways. Finally, it's more of a precaution than a contraindication. The goal SpO2 is 85%, so if the SpO2 is much lower, then oxygen should be given to reach that goal.

Achilles

Forum Moron
O2 is contraindicated at 1 bar ^_^

Lol jp

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Paraquat poisoning.

OP
OP
L

lisha

Forum Probie
Paraquat poisoning.

I was going to use Paraquat Poisoning as a contraindication but when I saw the time frame for when people could have been exposed I didn't think it was relevant to my assignment.