concealed weapon carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
So you have no qualms about shooting a patient with a brain injury who is resisting you? You'll shoot a psych patient who is combative? After all, if they try to hurt you, you're automatically in self-preservation mode, right?

Thats not what I said and you know it. However, if either of those patients pose a threat to my life, yes, I would. Psychosis is not a reason to allow a patiebt to injure, cripple or kill you.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
I believe the appropriate response to that is n=1 (am I using this right??). you can't judge an entire culture (in this case, CCW people) by one racist paramedic. I know 100 nice people who like minorities and jews. they don't want to shoot people. racists are everywhere, you can't based everyone based on a very small minority. I can also assure you, the majority of the paramedics in both FDNY and NYC EMS aren't racist idiot. Out of 3,200 FDNY EMS people, if 3 are racist, that's only 0.09% of the entire staff. how do you think that responds to the general public?
hahahaha, do I? I don't even own a handgun. I don't have a CCW permit. If I did have both, would i want to carry on the ambulance? absolutely. note: I am not saying I would, just that I would want to.

if I did how often would I draw it? not unless it was an imminent life threat. and the only place I could take remove it would be places where law enforcement was not allow to bring theirs (jails, court, secure psych facilities, etc). and if I was doing my job right, no one would know i had it on me, unless I needed to draw it to save a life or defuse a threat to my life. and yes, if my employer were to discipline me for it, that is his prerogative, but at least I will be going home to my wife

There are more incidents than just this and they have even been discussed here. Maybe a more thorough search on your part might give you a better view of the other side presented here.

If you draw a gun on someone, you will be facing a lot more than just a slap on the wrist discipline from your employer. Anytime you point a gun at someone, it is a serious whether you intend to shoot someone or not.

Do all of the hospitals allow EMTs to carry guns within their walls?

Have you not gone home to your wife without carrying a gun for the past several years?

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
So you have no qualms about shooting a patient with a brain injury who is resisting you? You'll shoot a psych patient who is combative? After all, if they try to hurt you, you're automatically in self-preservation mode, right?

If the person is assaulting me and i have a reasonable belief that they intend to kill me, then i will respond with equal force to subdue or end the attack. At that point the patient-provider relationship is over and now its an attacker assailant issue.

Just because a patient is combative does not result in the use of lethal force. You continue to offer that as soon as a patient becomes difficult then EMTs are going to start mag dumping into the patient. This is ridiculous hyperbole and near offensive. I would hate to work with the providers you work with who have instilled this belief in you that EMTs are micron away from a shooting spree

Ive never had a combative patient who was combative due to a head injury who was actually strong enough to make me feel in danger.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
There are more incidents than just this and they have even been discussed here. Maybe a more thorough search on your part might give you a better view of the other side presented here.

If you draw a gun on someone, you will be facing a lot more than just a slap on the wrist discipline from your employer. Anytime you point a gun at someone, it is a serious whether you intend to shoot someone or not.

Do all of the hospitals allow EMTs to carry guns within their walls?

Have you not gone home to your wife without carrying a gun for the past several years?

Both sides can find instances of misuse of firearms. Look at NYPD at the Empire State Building recently, or LAPD shooting those ladies months back. Trained police officers who were unable to place rounds on a stationary target or a target moving in a linear direction.

Again, the rules that would apply to civilian CCW would apply, it would be up to the individual to make themselves aware of each hospitals policy and determine if carrying is feasible.

When i go home, i have a firearm and am always secure in my residence

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
It really is not that hyperbolic. There are people out there who believe that any physical threat is reason to use deadly force. I work with several people like this. They are the loudest proponents of CCW at work, and they are also the same people who have been involved in very questionable physical altercations with pts.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
It really is not that hyperbolic. There are people out there who believe that any physical threat is reason to use deadly force. I work with several people like this. They are the loudest proponents of CCW at work, and they are also the same people who have been involved in very questionable physical altercations with pts.

...and on the flipside, we have people who legitimately believe that peace, love and mercy are the only tools we should ever have to defend ourselves.

Atlas_Flyer had the best solution yet.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I see the hyperbole continues in this thread so it can join the rest of the concealed carry threads here.

Status
Not open for further replies.