Community effort - a win all around

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
Rural area, midwest. A couple rented a house temporarily and moved in with an elderly relative. They wanted to get away from Covid and the city where BLM demonstrations were ongoing and headline news was the usual gossip. Then the couple got called back in to work. They called their relative regularly and in the AM there was no answer. Hesitant, them being black in a very white locale, they finally decided to call the sheriff office. Sheriff office response was no problem at all. Welfare checks were a major part of their job.
Officer responded to the house. Knocking a voice was heard 'I need help'. Officer broke a window and entered. Man down. Called a second officer in who was an EMT. Initial assessment was person was okay but... EMT called the ambulance service. Wanted a double check. Ambulance service was having a shift change. Two EMT IIs off duty swung by and did a full assessment. Patient okay.
EMTs were concerned the house was not up to snuff for an infirm person. Word of mouth got going at the local hospital. Off duty, a nurse and a PT swung by there that afternoon. Checked on patient again. Took notes. Hospital got in on it and had maintenance install grab bars in bathroom. Owner of the house supervised as he was having the window repaired.
The couple were overwhelmed by all the attention - assistance. They made several phone calls thanking people and asked about the expenses.

Letters were received by SO, community service center, city, ambulance company and hospital expressing thanks and worrying about costs incurred.
House owner: Repair window. **** happens. No charge.
SO response: Just doing our job.
Ambulance service: Just glad to help
Hospital: We have spare grab bars and a couple of hours of maintenance doing some community service is fine by us.
Nurse and PT: We have elderly relatives.

The couple is making arrangements to buy the house.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
And you know this how? Seems strange you'd hear about it all the way in southeast Asia.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
75693977-A9B7-4F85-8684-041B1AC00F61.png

OP
OP
RedBlanketRunner

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
And you know this how? Seems strange you'd hear about it all the way in southeast Asia
A relative was an SO on the response. Isn't that flat out amazing?

It may come as a complete surprise but just because I live in S.E. Asia I lived in the US for 45 years, and maintain connections and contacts with quite a few people in the US.
What is much more surprising is thinking just because you move to another country you sever all ties, connections and communications. Which in turn is as not anywhere near as far fetched as a person claiming a few friends in this country are somehow able to monitor all the functions of every individual who has worked with NGOs - that incidentally are world renown at avoiding publicity and flying under the radar.

Speaking of which, I'd like Mr. Hyperbole to ask his friends out here to tell us how many people are working for NGOs and how many people are doing volunteer services on their own on average each year in Thailand. Give or take 5,000 will do. Or just name the top 20 most major NGOs operating here. (Hint. I've worked with them for over a decade and couldn't possibly answer. Always on a need to know basis and please direct all questions to the head office. We don't give out that information.)

Just checked. 7202 personal emails from the folks back home in the past 14 years when I started using Gmail. Lost the previous 6 years of emails.
It's really hard to believe my veracity is challenged by something as moronic as this.

Now the real topic of conversation is community effort. People pulling together, working together and helping each other out. Why did this turn into yet another troll fest?

Last edited:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Now the real topic of conversation is community effort. People pulling together, working together and helping each other out. Why did this turn into yet another troll fest?
Because your story has all the telltale signs of being made up? Here, let me explain:
Officer responded to the house. Knocking a voice was heard 'I need help'. Officer broke a window and entered. Man down. Called a second officer in who was an EMT. Initial assessment was person was okay but...
man down in need of help should be an automatic EMS dispatch by the first officer, not calling in a second officer who was in EMT.
EMT called the ambulance service. Wanted a double check. Ambulance service was having a shift change. Two EMT IIs off duty swung by and did a full assessment. Patient okay.
why did the two off duty emts swing by, instead of the EMTs who were working on the ambulance? it would make a lot more sense for two people on the ambulance with all the equipment (if needed) to head over, vs the two that had just gotten off shift, going in their own vehicles, especially when the officer on scene had formally requested the ambulance service (your words, unless you mean he called the station, vs going through dispatch, which invites a host of other question).
EMTs were concerned the house was not up to snuff for an infirm person. Word of mouth got going at the local hospital.
we can argue over the EMTs qualifications to say it's not up to snuff, but if this rumor made it to the local hospital, is it really that small of a community? is there only one person in their coverage area with this issue that it starts a rumor and spans multiple levels?
Off duty, a nurse and a PT swung by there that afternoon. Checked on patient again. Took notes.
gotcha... so two random strangers (that the patient never net) just randomly stopped by, and checked out his place. gotcha
Hospital got in on it and had maintenance install grab bars in bathroom.
so the hospital staff paid one person to do work outside of the hospital, and provided all the equipment needed. I wonder what the hospital's legal counsel thought of that, especially if one failed, because it wasn't properly maintained.
Owner of the house supervised as he was having the window repaired.
well, it is his responsibility so.....
The couple were overwhelmed by all the attention - assistance. They made several phone calls thanking people and asked about the expenses.
what a warm and happy feeling
Letters were received by SO, community service center, city, ambulance company and hospital expressing thanks and worrying about costs incurred.
House owner: Repair window. **** happens. No charge.
forget **** happens, this was exigent circumstances during an emergency. it's the homeowner's responsibility to repair the windows, and no charge the tenants.
SO response: Just doing our job.
Ambulance service: Just glad to help
you mean the off duty ambulance crew, vs the crew who were just doing their job and never went?
Hospital: We have spare grab bars and a couple of hours of maintenance doing some community service is fine by us.
see the previous statement about liability. this is completely unrealistic, at least without the multiple levels of approvals that would be needed.
Nurse and PT: We have elderly relatives.
and opened themselves up to potential liability in case something went wrong. after all, they went on their own, so their employer wouldn't support them
The couple is making arrangements to buy the house.
another warm feeling.

Now, if this was true, I would imagine it would be reported in the news, because that (positive PR) would justify the hospital spending money to help someone who was not in their facility. And there are entire government agencies that are in place to deal with situations like this, and they weren't even called; not only that, but the hospital staff (on a rumor) did some questionable actions, and took it upon themselves to do several things that are outside of their job descriptions. Now, if EMS had transported the patient to the ER, and then the rumor mill took over, because the nice ER nurse treated the patient, I could find that a little easier to believe... but only a little.

Maybe it really happened, and the stars aligned, and everything in your story happened exactly as you describe... It was a once in a lifetime instance of the community coming together, ignoring all the questionable action that are you reporting. it is possible.

Or maybe this is another one of your "amazing stories where everything worked out exactly as you wanted, where everyone else finds very hard to believe" where people question it's truthfullness, because it's hard to believe or has many holes.

BTW, I have 0 issues with people volunteering their time, or volunteering to help others, and it's pretty much irrelevant to this story... as are the prevalence of NGOs in Thailand (which, oddly enough, have a wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_non-governmental_organizations_in_Thailand not sure why you brought that up, other than to distract from the plot holes of your story

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I asked for how you knew about it simply to allow our memebers to have a basis to judge the veracity of your story...nothing more, nothing less.

Without that information, you expected our members to simply believe your post at face value, despite the fact that in many of your previous posts you've been able to post an astonishing amount of detail from calls that you admit were decades ago.

Providing your sources helps keep these stories from stretching the bounds of credulity and bring them at least back into the realm of possible. It's the same reason I cautioned members not to jump to conclusions until we had more information.

So if you want to keep up with the whole "I can't believe I'm being questioned about my stories", I can assure you it won't be tolerated. If you want to continue to post your stories and experiences, by all means do so...but be prepared to be questioned about it. Posting a story and then claiming any questions about it is a troll fest will not end well.

Edit to add and for all members: We don't need to know enough details of your story to violate patient privacy, just enough to know how you found out about it.

Last edited:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Internet. Truth moves at the speed of light these days...
Truth is a fickle thing that often changes by the second and by perspectives, hence why it's important to understand the source of the info.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Internet. Truth moves at the speed of light these days...
ahem, information moves at the speed of light these days... that information is often incorrect, misrepresented, or misinterpreted by a person who is relaying said information. Saying that everything you read on the internet is always true is questionable at best

I believe Lincoln said it best:
90d8608e78d26a7518c2d8b2bd3e5bc3.jpg

CarSevenFour

Forum Crew Member
Truth is a fickle thing that often changes by the second and by perspectives, hence why it's important to understand the source of the info.
So, if everything's a lie on the internet. 1/2 of your online training is simply BS and this whole forum is a pack of lies by definition. Truth is eternal, lies are fickle. I'll take the truth, straight up and eternally true, and you keep your negative outlook and believe your lies.

CarSevenFour

Forum Crew Member
ahem, information moves at the speed of light these days... that information is often incorrect, misrepresented, or misinterpreted by a person who is relaying said information. Saying that everything you read on the internet is always true is questionable at best

I believe Lincoln said it best:
90d8608e78d26a7518c2d8b2bd3e5bc3.jpg
Ahem, Parasite, lies are like parasites that worm their way into your head. You can dress up the lie in faded "parchment" but that old saw is a tired old thing, repeated many many times, over and over, into sheer banality. I probably said it when you were still a schoolboy. And you have discovered nothing new in your little jpeg. Look harder and find something a little more up to date than a silly illustration with an old saying that's as old as Myspace.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
So, if everything's a lie on the internet. 1/2 of your online training is simply BS and this whole forum is a pack of lies by definition. Truth is eternal, lies are fickle. I'll take the truth, straight up and eternally true, and you keep your negative outlook and believe your lies.
you're confusing the truth with facts...often times they are the same, but they are different often enough to warrant caution. Truth is in the eye of the beholder, and as such will always reflect the bias of the person seeking it.

CarSevenFour

Forum Crew Member
you're confusing the truth with facts...often times they are the same, but they are different often enough to warrant caution. Truth is in the eye of the beholder, and as such will always reflect the bias of the person seeking it.
Retread of your last post. Give it up.

CarSevenFour

Forum Crew Member
Because your story has all the telltale signs of being made up? Here, let me explain:

man down in need of help should be an automatic EMS dispatch by the first officer, not calling in a second officer who was in EMT.

why did the two off duty emts swing by, instead of the EMTs who were working on the ambulance? it would make a lot more sense for two people on the ambulance with all the equipment (if needed) to head over, vs the two that had just gotten off shift, going in their own vehicles, especially when the officer on scene had formally requested the ambulance service (your words, unless you mean he called the station, vs going through dispatch, which invites a host of other question).

we can argue over the EMTs qualifications to say it's not up to snuff, but if this rumor made it to the local hospital, is it really that small of a community? is there only one person in their coverage area with this issue that it starts a rumor and spans multiple levels?

gotcha... so two random strangers (that the patient never net) just randomly stopped by, and checked out his place. gotcha

so the hospital staff paid one person to do work outside of the hospital, and provided all the equipment needed. I wonder what the hospital's legal counsel thought of that, especially if one failed, because it wasn't properly maintained.

well, it is his responsibility so.....

what a warm and happy feeling

forget **** happens, this was exigent circumstances during an emergency. it's the homeowner's responsibility to repair the windows, and no charge the tenants.

you mean the off duty ambulance crew, vs the crew who were just doing their job and never went?

see the previous statement about liability. this is completely unrealistic, at least without the multiple levels of approvals that would be needed.

and opened themselves up to potential liability in case something went wrong. after all, they went on their own, so their employer wouldn't support them

another warm feeling.

Now, if this was true, I would imagine it would be reported in the news, because that (positive PR) would justify the hospital spending money to help someone who was not in their facility. And there are entire government agencies that are in place to deal with situations like this, and they weren't even called; not only that, but the hospital staff (on a rumor) did some questionable actions, and took it upon themselves to do several things that are outside of their job descriptions. Now, if EMS had transported the patient to the ER, and then the rumor mill took over, because the nice ER nurse treated the patient, I could find that a little easier to believe... but only a little.

Maybe it really happened, and the stars aligned, and everything in your story happened exactly as you describe... It was a once in a lifetime instance of the community coming together, ignoring all the questionable action that are you reporting. it is possible.

Or maybe this is another one of your "amazing stories where everything worked out exactly as you wanted, where everyone else finds very hard to believe" where people question it's truthfullness, because it's hard to believe or has many holes.

BTW, I have 0 issues with people volunteering their time, or volunteering to help others, and it's pretty much irrelevant to this story... as are the prevalence of NGOs in Thailand (which, oddly enough, have a wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_non-governmental_organizations_in_Thailand not sure why you brought that up, other than to distract from the plot holes of your story
Wow, you must have spent all morning on that novella. Don't you have an ambulance parked in the bay that needs your attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.