Coloring Pens/Pencils?

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Hey Artistic folks!!
I got a good quality anatomy coloring book off freecycle and I want to start coloring in it so's I can learn stuff. I have some el-cheapo colored pens/pencils, but I'm thinking of investing in some higher-quality ones specifically for use in my new book. Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good quality brand of colored pencils or pens (the smaller the point, the better) that won't break the bank? The pencils I have are a mix of Rose Art, Crayola, and Sanford. They all seem to wear down fairly fast when I'm coloring though. Google search turned up Prismacolor as a reccomendation. I thought I'd ask the folks on here as well. Thanks a bunch!! :)

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Might I suggest asking in a forum devoted to pencils, nah that would be silly who would create a forum to talk about pencils.

http://www.scribbletalk.com/

Anjel

Forum Angel
Might I suggest asking in a forum devoted to pencils, nah that would be silly who would create a forum to talk about pencils.

Lmao you are doing a lot "might I suggesting " tonight

But that right there is hilarious.

And to the Op. I could never turn my back in the crayola 24ct packs.

Sawwey.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't pay any attention to the bald guy. We aren't sure why he is bald, but we think that whatever caused that made him crazy as well. :p

jk of course.

But as to your question, I'd say prismacolor, hands down. Just be really careful with them as they have very soft "lead." I love to do pencil work and those are all I use. No complaints yet!

OP
OP
EMT2B

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant

Hey 'Bull'~
Thanks! I didn't know that forum existed! :) Ok, so I 'knew' something like that had to exist somewhere, but not exactly where I could find it. :p Thanks again! :)

And to the Op. I could never turn my back in the crayola 24ct packs.

Anjel~
I find colored pencils a tad easier to use in the teensy-weensy spaces that are in my book. But for my other coloring needs, my mom bought me a 100+ count box of Crayolas. :-D

ETA: ScribbleTalk is closed. :( They won't lemme register! :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Just remember to use a proper pencil, crayon sharpener when they get blunt...DO NOT USE A KNIFE (better still, ask an adult to help you)

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
just remember to use a proper pencil, crayon sharpener when they get blunt...do not use a knife (better still, ask an adult to help you)

roflol

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I used 30 ct Crayola Twistables for my Anatomy coloring books because there's no need to sharpen and with 30 of them, you have a variety for the pages that have lots of structures.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't pay any attention to the bald guy. We aren't sure why he is bald, but we think that whatever caused that made him crazy as well. :p

jk of course.

But as to your question, I'd say prismacolor, hands down. Just be really careful with them as they have very soft "lead." I love to do pencil work and those are all I use. No complaints yet!

Prismacolors are PRICEY though. I used to use them for art and they are fantastic but I don't think I would use them for a coloring book because of the cost.

OP
OP
EMT2B

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Not to necropost or anything, but ... I got my Prismacolors for Christmas (Thanks to my bro!!) and now I'm wondering what type of sharpener would be best. Handheld? Electric? Battery powered? Old hand-crank burr style? Anyone? Thanks soo muuuuuch!! :)

LucidResQ~
I have a 12 count pack of twistables. They are kinda cool. :)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Forget the book, just get a cadaver.

No sharpening or coloring needed. :)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
It's not the crayon, it's the sharpener!

USe an 11-blade.

Hate

Forum Probie
Not to necropost or anything, but ... I got my Prismacolors for Christmas (Thanks to my bro!!) and now I'm wondering what type of sharpener would be best. Handheld? Electric? Battery powered? Old hand-crank burr style? Anyone? Thanks soo muuuuuch!! :)

LucidResQ~
I have a 12 count pack of twistables. They are kinda cool. :)

handheld

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
EMT2B

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Forget the book, just get a cadaver.

No sharpening or coloring needed. :)

Veneficus~
Yeah ... Somehow I don't think my landlord would be too happy with that. :rofl:

Mycrofft~
Thank you!! Uhm ... Where would I find such a thing? An art store (i.e. Aaron Brothers)? Craft store (i.e. Michaels, Jo-Anns)? Office supply store (i.e. Staples)?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Veneficus~
Yeah ... Somehow I don't think my landlord would be too happy with that. :rofl:

Just tell him you are getting a pet.