College education to supplement being a Paramedic.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Not completely sure if the title makes sense, but let me explain. I'm trying to make EMS my career, from start to finish. I'm getting a second and somewhat later start in life but at least I've done it before and I know it's what I want to do now. So what are logical steps, and what's a logical education to obtain for the long run?

Short term, I want to be a Paramedic, no question/doubt in my mind. This is a certainty. I just started back in EMS with a nice local family oriented and owned ALS company. They are willing to pay for my Medic schooling when I'm eligible and able to be accepted (shooting for January). So that's a done deal, but lets face it, I'm not going to want to be a Medic forever. I don't know what the courtesy cutoff is, but I'm 28 now, and I can see myself doing it for as long as my body and mind let me.

I'm basically completed my A.S. in something I was interested in but will never use again. All of my general education units are complete, I just need to do the major of choice coursework, then transfer to a CA Univ. and continue on.

So with that said what type of college degree would benefit in EMS as a career the most? I want something that's going to cover a somewhat broad range and always be in demand or useful mainly in EMS but other outlets if necessary. I'm thinking along the lines of General Business or Business Management. If I'm assuming correctly Medics with this type of education would easily branch into the Operations Management/Ambulance Division Management, Business/Office Management, HR Management and so on depending on the size of said company.

Does this sound the most logical? I know there are some EMS/Emergency Services type degrees but I think those kind of pigeon hole you and your services might not be utilized as much as they could be with another type of degree. I know that some things like biology would be good, but I don't see how that could specifically further what I want to do. Being a Medic with field experience, an FTO/Preceptor (hopefully down the road) with formal education in business can open a lot of doors either through school instruction to company management.

Any other degrees you can think of that would be beneficial?
Any comments, thoughts, opinions, anything are welcomed!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like you've got a good plan.

I don't think your undergraduate major -- e.g. business, biology, EMS -- will matter as much as the degree itself, supplemented by EMS experience (or vice versa). Why not pick a major that interests you?

If you think you might want to pursue management or teaching, perhaps you could continue to work towards a BS or BA in just about anything. Medics with four-year degrees are still the exception rather than the rule. The BS/BA also would give you more options if you leave EMS.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Emergency Management. You can do a lot with that degree. A good number of medics from the hospital I used to work at did that. They moved into positions within the health system making in the 80's to start, up from the low 60's as field medics. Others secured gov't positions, with pensions and all.

At my FD, after I do nursing, I've been asking around as to what type of degree would be the most beneficial both within the dept, but also after retirement. Emergency Management was the common answer.

The family oriented ALS company may treat you well, and also pay well, but you need to think about retirement. You need a pension and continuing medical benefits post retirement.

A BSN would also be a good idea. You can go many different directions with that, without having to lift patients if you have injuries.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm looking at an AAS in Paramedicine, a BS in Bio-chem and a BSN for me. Those are my undergrad goals.

OP
OP
M

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
A degree in Emergency Management would look good on paper, but it would sort of limit my abilities. Plus, in my area in CA I don't see any of the bigger State Univ's offering that. I'd like something that can cover a broader spectrum.

Business Management/Admin is looking like a good route because after my BA I can do my Masters online with a few big CA Univ's pretty easily and then be set.

Once I'm older a Business degree could be beneficial for an easier slower paced job, and for myself and my wife because there's a few ventures she would like to explore so being knowledgeable in the field would be beneficial for our own success.

It's just a lot to consider and I want it to work out in as many facets as possible. One step at a time I suppose, but things are on the right track... re-certified the hard way to become an EMT again, got a job with a solid company who's going to help/encourage me with Medic school and being in a position to continue my education as well. I guess in time the rest will fall into place.

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
If you like the medical field, don't want to be a paramedic forever, and working for a fire departmet as a FF/pm is not a goal. I suggest taking pre req's for nursing or PA (I think they both have pretty much the same pre-reqs) and later get into a medic-RN/PA program.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I vote for an MD or DO. You can't beat the scope of practice... :D

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
My local CC has an AS degree in Emergency Health Science that looks pretty interesting and you can use the credits to transfer to a BS program. Many of the classes are prereqs for RN/PA so it seems worthwhile.