College Degrees

E in SD

Forum Ride Along
I had a question on education for everyone. I received my associates degree in Fire Science through a community college in San Diego. Now, I realize degrees are not a requirement for a firefighter position but it couldn't hurt right? I talked to my school counsler about a possible Bachlers degree and what would be the best field to attain it in considering my career choice, she recommended Sociology...Any Suggestion? Should I even worry about a Bachlers at this point or should I just go for all the field experiance I can get, Test, and try to get hired without one

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not a FF, but when my EMT teacher (who is a FF-Paramedic) was asked this question, he said it didn't matter. When I've asked police sergeants the same question (I'm interested in LE), they also said it didn't matter.

My own advice is to do something you really like because you'll be more likely to get better grades and you'll enjoy the experience. Employers don't necessarily want people with degrees because they'll be experts in a subject area, rather the degrees show the committment, preserverence, self-discipline, and academic abilities, and you're a person who wants to self-improve.

Also, if you get injured, even if the line of duty and forced to retire, you can fall back on your bachelor's and more easily get another job.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It all depends on what you want to do. If you are looking at career Fire Science then I would recommend a BS in Fire Science & Engineering, if you looking for management position I would consider a B.A. in business etc...

Just having a BS degree does not ensure you anything, (yes it will open some doors) but the major is important as well. I definitely would not consider Sociology unless you want to be a social worker.

I would highly suggest a career counselor before entering a university. I highly suggest before you spend thousands of dollars, you want a degree that will enhance your professional goals, not just have a sheepskin on the wall that will not help you.

Be safe,
Ridryder 911

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I was going for my degree in EMS, but after talking to our EMS chief, I'm going for my AS & BS in nursing. The degrees in Fire & EMS will help you get into management and teaching if you want to go there. They sometimes give you a bit of a raise (Here it's a 2% salary increase per degree level). So just incase I get burned out, hurt, whatever, I can still go get a job making a hell of a lot more money than I would doing what I want to do, which is running calls. And I did switch majors after I fufilled all the requirements for my EMS degree except medic school.

Also, my husband is a sheriffs deputy for our county, so you would think he'd be going for his criminal justice degree, but he's not. He's talked to his superiors and there are benefits in the company for deputies that have thier AS and/or BS degrees BUT it doesn't matter what the degree is in, just that you have it/them.

We both qualify for state grants so I've really looked hard it to the options, benefits and consequences and that is what we have come to, but every state/city/county is different, you have to talk to EVERYONE and then look into every venue you can find.

Good Luck, hope this helps a little. :D

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
This thread has opened up some questions from me as well. So I'll shoot-

1.) Im highly interested in emergency medicine, for some reason nursing just doesnt interest me as much. Mainly because I would much rather see the cases fresh rather than the day after the doc has seen them and I get frustrated if Im stuck inside all day - Ive been told to go into nursing and get my RN, because they are making mega bucks. Thats fine. So with that said heres question numero uno:
Should I go ahead and get my EMTP and then bridge to an RN or could I stay EMTP and should my body no longer be able to do the physical demands I could go into EMS instruction (after completing instructors courses) or I could possibly work back in the ER or CCU??

2.) UAMS is now offering a 4 year BS degree in EMS. Ive been told that this is great if you want to get into a management position in EMS, but other than that doesnt do a whole lot of good - the same sense of instruction would this be good background if I were to go into instruction at a University.

3.) I think my EMS highlight would be flight EMS - Rid I know you do this, but I know absolutely nothing about flight medicine and how it actually works as it may be different than what Im seeing from the ground. I'd love to go for one day (maybe when I get my CC) and see what its really like.

So with that said here's what Id like to do-Im sure it looks fine and dandy on paper but it could be very different once I get to it:

1.) Get my EMTP work on and ambulance for a few years and gain experience, possibly go ahead and get an RN incase things change.
2.) Start doing flight medic education and once I complete that successfully do flight EMS
3.) When my body is no longer able to meet the physical demands I could start instructing until I hit retirement age or until I croak over whichever comes first.

Does this sound like an OK plan, and for those that have done it, whats the best way to go about it? I want to get my EMTP within the next 3-5 years after working as a basic.

Thanks,
-CP B)

squid

Forum Lieutenant
I don't have any good recommendations on what to do, but I do know what not ot do: don't get a sociology degree. It's not necessarily something you can fall back on for any actual jobs, and I'm thinking it won't always look terribly good to employers because it is kind of a random, catch-all, "I don't know what to major in" degree except for people who actually want to work in the field and go on to do grad work. After saying that, I should backtrack and say that people who are actually going into research could definitely use it. Andthat there are a lot of jobs that just require any bachelor's degree.

But if you're really interested in emergency services, I'd think a degree in emergency services would be the way to go. After all, it would still fulfill the "any bachelor's degree" requirment, and be more tailored to what you plan on doing.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
CP-

ER nursing can be pretty cool. I've spent 2 years shanging out with nurses in clinicals. Yeah, it stinks to have to clean up LeRoy the Skell, and it is a really bad day when the ICU and Tele are full, and you've got 3 patients in the ED who've been there for 24 hours.... one of which is a 1:1 ICU player.

Also, though, in the ER, there is a "give and take" relationship with the doctors... many experienced nurses will treat their patients ALMOST on their own, just running things by the doctor as needed.

Also, you usually need a few years as a nurse, usually ER/ICU to be a flight nurse.

Finally, look into "ground" critical care. It is always good, espicially if you don't like to fly, but also if you are my size, and your fat a$$ don't fit in the bird!

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a certificate in fire service technology from my college, as I took several courses related to Fire Science; but my degree was for Paramedic.

Which just means I had fire service classes (swift water rescue, ice rescue 1, rope rescue, BVR, AVR, SBR, CSR, HAR, TACR, SSR, RIT, EBM88, FF1, SCBA, Pump 1 & 2, RWS, ENG. Co. Ops, Trk Co. Ops and Incident Command module 1) while attending that college. It's a big plus when it comes to getting work as a Paramedic for a fire department.

pitbull30

Forum Ride Along
I cant comment on the best route to go for the fire or ems field. But I will tell you that I have alot of friends in the law enforcement sector and the degree always helps in the hiring process. Its just another qual under your belt. Just like military or something else.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I would not suggest anyone to go into nursing unless they really want to go into nurisng and feel a call for it. It is not considered a "stepping stone" like EMS. The professors and fellopw peers can recgnize thoe who want to provide empathetic care and those that are there for a pay-check. Most professional nurses really do not appreciate those and try to eliminate them from the profession as soon as possible. If you want "big-bucks" .. I suggest another field totally.

The pay is really comparable with most "medics" yearly salary ... especially if what we have been basing predicted income on other threads.. $35-65K yr. Travel nursing does make more money than the regular nursing, due to assignment (usually 13 wk) regulations and most do not have benefit packages ( insurance, retirement) etc..Most do not understand if there is big money, there is usually a reason or catch. You may be assigned 6-8 ER patients by yourself in a busy ER, standing for 12 hrs., and staying over for an hour to catch up on charting without pay is not fun either.. look at all aspects. According to RN magazine the general pay is $ 20- 32/hr... of course most is based upon 36 -40 hr work week.

If you are interested in Flight EMS as a Flight Nurse then you should consider that you will need at least 5 years cirtical care experience. I highly suggest 2-3 years in ER and 2-3 years in an medium ICU/CCU. Flight Paramedics should consider having at least 5 yrs level at a CCEMT/P level at a agressive service. Again , usually medics make less than RN in this position. Not fair .. but just the way it is.

Good luck,
RR 911

ECC

Forum Captain
I have an AS in Fire Science Technology, and where I work, it will help you in getting a raise in pay. I am also working towards my BS in Fire and Emergency Management. Since I am an instructor @ a local community college the AS was 'required' too...

I suggest you go to college now rather than later. I am not a big fan of the 18 year old fresh from High School gettin on the job...too many do not have the proper maturity level to handle the job, and are often 'supervisory nightmares'.

Good luck.