Cole Schaefer Ambulance Interview

scenesafety

Forum Ride Along
Hello, im new to this forum and im hoping some of you that work there can answer some questions regarding schaefer ambulance, i have an interview with them next week, and i was wondering how the pay and hours where, i currently work for an ift company and im looking for something better.

i seen older posts about schaefer but they seem outdated
thanks guys.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
The old posts are still pretty accurate. Two 24s a week with an additional 24 every third week. Paid full 24s. Some cities have decent stations. Others you sleep in a garage. Starting is $10.50/hr.

Everyone seems to think they will lose their EOAs during the next bid. I'm inclined to agree, but no one truly knows until bids come out.

I've considered leaving my company and going to Schaefer. It's way closer to home for me. It's not the best company around, but you'll run 911 calls and they have some decent areas (Azusa, Pomona).

Also, it depends on what division you're applying to. LA operates differently than SGV which operates differently than OC.

EMTchick11

Forum Ride Along
is it true you have to do IFT with them first before they let you do 911? I'm coming from an IFT company. and Also do you know what they ask in the interview and is there a written test you have to take? and lastly how many stairs is the lift test??

wtferick

Forum Captain
is it true you have to do IFT with them first before they let you do 911? I'm coming from an IFT company. and Also do you know what they ask in the interview and is there a written test you have to take? and lastly how many stairs is the lift test??
They will only be doing IFT. 99.9% chance that they lost their 911 contracts.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
My info is super dated, but last I had been told was that 24s were solely 911 and day cars, staffed by part-timers, handled IFT. I think it is also heavily dependent on whether you work in SGV or LA division since LA is mostly IFT.

Also, and much more importantly, with the new EOAs being assigned, and Schaefer losing the contract, who knows what will happen with their deployments. Care offered a lot of the Doctor's EMTs positions when Doctor's lost the south county contracts. I'd assume they'd do the same for Schaefer.

AMR Riverside has really been pushing to hire people. You'll get more hands on experience there than the SGV.

EMTchick11

Forum Ride Along
The old posts are still pretty accurate. Two 24s a week with an additional 24 every third week. Paid full 24s. Some cities have decent stations. Others you sleep in a garage. Starting is $10.50/hr.

Everyone seems to think they will lose their EOAs during the next bid. I'm inclined to agree, but no one truly knows until bids come out.

I've considered leaving my company and going to Schaefer. It's way closer to home for me. It's not the best company around, but you'll run 911 calls and they have some decent areas (Azusa, Pomona).

Also, it depends on what division you're applying to. LA operates differently than SGV which operates differently than OC.

Do you know what there written exam consists of?! It's my last step then I'm hired!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Basic NR stuff, no curve balls or anything, as long as you didn't brain dump everything you learned in class you'll be fine.

I'm surprised Schaefer is actually hiring anyone right now since they just lost their big County Fire contract...

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Jim37 is right. Last I heard it was basic NR stuff.

There's a "Ambulance transportation zones effective 12/1/16" file posted in the news section of LA EMS' website, but I can't load the PDF file. It might have the new EOAs, but I don't know.

pl8guy

Forum Ride Along
Here is the latest info I can find from the laco board of supervisors. It looks like mccormick kept their areas and gained compton and AMR kept the palmdale/lancaster/ santa clarita area. Schaefer, AMR sgv and Care's eoa's are being contested. The board has until June 1st to make the final decision, until then current providers will continue to provide service on a month to month basis.

Attachments

• 110003.pdf
    772.9 KB · Views: 278

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Here is the latest info I can find from the laco board of supervisors. It looks like mccormick kept their areas and gained compton and AMR kept the palmdale/lancaster/ santa clarita area. Schaefer, AMR sgv and Care's eoa's are being contested. The board has until June 1st to make the final decision, until then current providers will continue to provide service on a month to month basis.
Give it time. Care just needs to fill some pockets like they did OC, it become a JEMS article go to a local court and be swept under the rug.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Did they keep Monrovia?
We ran into a Monrovia FF doing his medic school clinicals at the hospital, and he and my partner knew each other. While they were catching up and discussing changes to the company and everything, this came up. He said Schaefer still has/kept Monrovia when losing the County EOA, but based on pi8guy's post, it's possible that it's on the month to month contest. I remember reading that when they redress the EOAs, Monrovia became it's own EOA (as well as Redondo Beach and Compton became their own EOAs as well) I'll see if I can dig that up..

wtferick

Forum Captain
We ran into a Monrovia FF doing his medic school clinicals at the hospital, and he and my partner knew each other. While they were catching up and discussing changes to the company and everything, this came up. He said Schaefer still has/kept Monrovia when losing the County EOA, but based on pi8guy's post, it's possible that it's on the month to month contest. I remember reading that when they redress the EOAs, Monrovia became it's own EOA (as well as Redondo Beach and Compton became their own EOAs as well) I'll see if I can dig that up..
I remember hearing Monrovia was kept by Schaefer at a meeting. Not 100% sure thoughZ