Cold shoulder at clinicals?

BADDLEGG

Forum Probie
Does anyone else get the cold shoulder at clinicals? Mainly the hospital? I do my ambulance ride outs with the company I work for and love it. I know the best medics to ride with and they are very helpful and informative. I do recall though when I rode out with some of the same crews during my basic class they where less than welcoming. Anyways it seems at the hospitals I get the cold shoulder from the RN's and some of the techs. I understand they are busy ,but it seems they really dont want to deal with me at all. I get along with everyone (mostly) and try to help out as much as possible. However there are a very few awesome nurses and techs that take time and really try to teach me stuff. I wonder if it is the whole EMS vs. RN grudge?

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
Hospital clinical in an urban ER across two days: one tech went for the sink-or-swim approach; another tech was incredible about finding opportunities and keeping me in the loop; separately an ER doc took time out to explain some gear they were using and a nurse dragged me off for heavy lifting.

In summary, everyone I interacted with had a different way of dealing with the student EMT and I judge that it had nothing to do with a Glorious Class Struggle and everything to do with the individuals.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
EMS vs. RN grudge?

I doubt it, some people are just not good with students regardless. I had a similar experience in the ER as a nursing student. Some RNs were great and others wouldnt give you the time of day. Just the way it is.

I try to be helpful and understanding but students can really screw up your day when you are busy.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The cold shoulder that you can get sometimes in clinicals probably has more to do with individual personalities than with of any RN vs. EMS grudge match. At the facility that I have right now, 98% of the nurses that are on the floor absolutely enjoy having students there. That 2% of the nurses that do not enjoy having students just do their best to muddle on through. This is because students tend to increase the daily workload, even if the student does everything correct, the nurse still has to verify everything was done right. That is, just the way it is.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Unfortunately it's all too common and not limited to just during hospital clinicals. There are quite a few threads about students who have done ambulance ride outs during classes with crews that didn't give them the time of day either, I've experienced it first hand.

There's a reason our education department only schedules students with certain crews that are student friendly rather than just throwing them on whatever truck is available.

My best advice for clinicals is to be willing to help with anything and everything and to listen more than you talk. Also, asking what's expected of you when you get there helps. If you jump in and are willing to help with the more mundane tasks the more willing staff is going to be to come get you when something "cool" is going on or when there are skills for you to perform.

JMorin95

Forum Crew Member
During my ER clinical I went from helping a doctor reset a tub-fib fracture to sitting and listening to an RN complain about being overworked. He taught me a few things but spent way too much time complaining.

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
Your not the only one it is very rare that a nurse or tech is willing to show or teach you anything then you feel like a big **** asking for help. Some techs let me do things and some won't even say hi. I guess it depends what shift your on. It can be akward and frustrating at the same time.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I can say from experience that if the Nurses and techs are working 12 hour shifts, they tend to be crabbier and have less patience.

Some ER Nurses barely have patience for EMTs and medics as it is, so you can just imagine how they feel about EMS students. Nursing students can be a pain too, but at least they usually know a lot more and can be helpful at times. Paramedic students and particularly EMT students usually seem totally useless in a hospital environment. Of course they are there to learn, not be indentured servents, but for a busy nurse or tech it would be nice if they could help out a little instead of continually slowing you down.

Also Ive noticed some ER nurses tend to have an attitude not just towards EMS and students, but other nurses and techs in the hospital. I work up on a floor as a tech and I have a negative interaction with an ER nurse at least a couple times a month and dread when I have to work with a Nurse in the ICU who normally works the ER.

Last edited by a moderator: