"Coffee Ground Emesis"

What does the term "coffee ground emesis" describe?

• Total voters

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
See poll.

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
There's a different, poopier smell.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Just about every time I've seen it, it looks like brown water with black flakes. Pretty distinct.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The first time I saw I was shocked at how dead accurate the term coffee grounds emesis actually is.

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

Got into an argument with an RN over it. The guy was throwing up what looked like brown water. She said coffee ground. I said no.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Got into an argument with an RN over it. The guy was throwing up what looked like brown water. She said coffee ground. I said no.

Hmm could be a number of things but I wouldn't really consider it coffee ground without the texture (Ie. clotted blood)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
VISUAL texture, not tactile. And I've seen many more that looked like they'd been eating cigarette tobacco, plus that everlovin' stank.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
the first time i saw it i asked my partner "is that coffee ground emesis?".

once in the back of the rig my Pt said "i dont eat coffee grounds"

:rofl:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
http://www.nuts.com/chocolatessweets/chocolate-covered-espresso-beans/?gclid=CMbtje6P6bMCFSTZQgod6yEAPg

darkespresso.jpg

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

Hmm could be a number of things but I wouldn't really consider it coffee ground without the texture (Ie. clotted blood)

Oh it was definitely blood. He had been vomiting true coffee ground emesis earlier in the day, and I think by the time we got him he had thrown up all of the clots and just had blood tinged bile/water left.