Clinicals

bowulf

Forum Probie
I had to have 48 total hours (24 field and 24 clinical), but could be required to do more if I did not provide any treatment (including just taking vitals or SAMPLE history) to at least 10 medical and 5 traumas in clinical ED, and at least 5 patients (even if they refused after being assessed and taken vitals) in the field. I ended up needing to do more field hours as I picked the slowest days of the year.

smvde

Forum Crew Member
Just wait till you hit medic school, you will look back fondly at those small clinical requirements

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Some TI's in PA require some form of clinicals - 8-16+ hours on an ambulance, a shift or two in an ED... it varies by the program.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
That's odd? I took my EMT-B in 87' at MCP (Medical College of Pa.) in Phila. and had to do 16 hrs in the ER.

The ER was quite busy. I remember the PFD brought in a burn pt and his shirt was still smoldering!!!

RULE #1 STOP THE BURNING PROCESS!!!!

May have been the program you were in--or the requirements at the time. But it's not a statewide requirement as of current.

Later!

--Coop

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
May have been the program you were in--or the requirements at the time. But it's not a statewide requirement as of current.

Later!

--Coop

I would think it would be common sense...you don't let a patient that is on FIRE in your rig or near oxygen until the fire is out...:wacko:

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Well, yes, of course. However, I was speaking more of the clinical time he had to do in '87.... perhaps I should have clipped part of his previous post. Sorry.

Later!

--Coop

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Ahhh...that makes more sense.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I forgot to mention, including the 12 hour ER clinical. We had to do a minimum of 5 documented 911 runs. It took me about 40 hours at the ambulance station to get these. Some calls were non-emergency transports where I got to take vitals and such.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I forgot to mention, including the 12 hour ER clinical. We had to do a minimum of 5 documented 911 runs. It took me about 40 hours at the ambulance station to get these. Some calls were non-emergency transports where I got to take vitals and such.

Gah, that would be boring to me, no offense.

My first day on a 12 hour ambulance, we had 12 calls, 7 of which were priority 1/2's.

buscommando

Forum Probie
I had my first ED clinical last night, I have to have 25 hours of ED as part of the EMT-B class I'm taking with the community college.

I assisted with a spinal tap, watched triage of a Baker Act patient that smelled like bleach, watched the ER staff take radiographs of a patient whose girlfriend ran him over with her car. Someone in the "fish tank" sang a tuneless song that included the lyrics, "I'm singing this goddamn song to piss people off." A patient with pneumonia got hit by his pacemaker several times in my presence, and threw his medications across the room once. I watched tachycardic EKG of a patient after his cocaine and beer dinner.

The RN I had been following was thankful it was a slow night, and I don't blame her. From all appearances, Shands/UF looks like it'd be a madhouse with just twice the patient volume.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The EMT-B course I took did not require any clinical or third riding experience. I was kinda mad at that one. And since I was under 21 when I took it, I could not volunteer to third ride here in ABQ during the class. I did however volunteer with a volly FD a little south of me to get the extra experience

Combilation

Forum Ride Along
For my school we have to do 4 ambulance rides at the FD. They are all 8 hours. Then there is one clinical we do at the ER for another 8.

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
I haven't had any clinical time yet. We have to pass our 3rd exam and be signed off on our IV skills before we start them. Test 3 should be at the end of this month, then we have to complete 16 hours in the ED and 48 hours on the ambulance.

I am so looking forward to it B)

jochi1543

Forum Captain
I'm starting my EMT-A/I/PCP ambulance practicum next week...yikes! Fairly slow service, though, 2-3 calls a day (96 hr shifts). I'm glad I already have some ambulance experience, especially considering that it's the one spot where we do hospital practicum AFTER ambulance.:ph34r:

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
EMT B2B

I can answer some questions and give you a few pointers if you would like to PM me. Part of my tech duties include cross training CNA's and working with students at all levels from EMT to MD. I remember my first ED rotation and knowing what I know now would have made a great experience even better. Good luck!

tlkennedy5

Forum Probie
I'm starting my EMT-B next week here in Kentucky. Our class only requires 12 hours of ambulance ride time. Being that I'm a premed student at the university and the fact that I want to do trauma surgery, I was hoping for more practice...especially since my school (University of Louisville) has a great level 1 trauma center here. Anyway, I've already done ambulance ride time on my own and made some contacts there, but how can I observe and learn at University ER since my class doesn't require it? Do I just call them up and explain that I'm a premed student and that I'm working on my EMT-B and that I want to learn and observe? Who would I call?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
States vary on their requirement for EMTs. MA in particular, does not require clinical or ride along time before certification at the Basic level. Many schools make it possible, albeit optional for their students to ride along and observe in an ER. In many cases, the School (student) pays the ambulance company and ER to be able to do this-- so scheduling additional time is sometimes problematic.

Tlkennedy, ERs are likely not going to allow you to observe additional time because you are pre-med, but you should consider volunteering in the ER or working as an ER-Tech if you are interested in some additional exposure once you become an EMT.

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
In the course I took it is 12 hour ride a long with the local fire dept. Mine is actually coming up on valentines day. I am not sure what to expect, I know that I am absolutly excited, but terrified at the same time. Not entirely sure what to expect and how much I will actually be able to do. I am ready to get my feet wet and go out there and get it done. I am used to working with people just not sick or injured people.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
When I did my PCP(Primary Cara Paramedic) course in 2001 we had 144 hrs of hospital clinicals and 244 hrs of preceptored ride time. For my ACP course I have 350 hrs of hospital clinicals and 504 hrs of preceptored ride time.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
When I did my PCP(Primary Cara Paramedic) course in 2001 we had 144 hrs of hospital clinicals and 244 hrs of preceptored ride time. For my ACP course I have 350 hrs of hospital clinicals and 504 hrs of preceptored ride time.

Our EMT/PCP hospital is only about 30-40 hours (4 days) and ambulance is minimum 25 calls, plus there are specific competencies that need to be signed off, so I'd say something like 35 calls would be about average (although I've heard of people doing 60+ and then failing :ph34r:).