cleaning laryngoscope blades

T1medic

Forum Crew Member
I have been a long time "lurker" here and have really never posted, but the time has come for me.

I'm curious what methods other departments use to clean or sterilize their non-disposable laryngoscope blades after and intubation.

I am on my department's EMS committee and currently looking at our current practices on cleaning our blades vs. possibly looking into switching over to disposable blades.

I've looked up the Joint Commission and CDC recommendations and just trying to see what the consensus among others. Also anyone who has experience with disposable blades, specifically after using non-disposable also feel free to chime in.

We are a combination Fire/EMS department with 12 stations, 11 Rescues with 12 ALS Engines. I am also currently researching the possibility of obtaining/incorporating video laryngoscopy. My idea as of now is to hopefully switch to disposable blades with traditional handles for the engines and I'm looking at the VividTrac video laryngoscope to maybe try out. I know it's on the cheap end and the old saying "you get what you pay for". We can connect via USB to our tablets mounted in the rescue with that. I am also looking into the McGrath Mac video laryngoscope if I don't get ran out of the room by our logistics officer when I bring up the price point. Any input on this matter is also welcome.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I haven't used a reusable blade in forever. Everything is disposable, including the video.

Back in the day though, we dumped the blade in a bucket of disinfectant, removed the big chunks, cleaned with a brush, air dry.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't bother. The process for making metal blades has gotten so easy and cheap that the blades are...cheap. There's at least a couple, probably more, that are sold explicitly as "disposable" blades, but are just as solid and sound as anything out there.

Not like the old plastic ones...:eek:

NomadicMedic

Oh yeah. The green plastic blades from hell. Nothing like having a miller 4 snap mid intubation!

OP
OP
T1medic

T1medic

Forum Crew Member
I have noticed that the price of metal blades is low enough that we could probably just treat them as disposable. The one study I found on metal vs. plastic favored the metal for success rates.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
That's the way to do it really. Look into the ones that are marketed as being disposable; they seem to be cheaper than others. Just make sure you get feedback for awhile if you make the switch; always the possibility that the brand you picked wasn't the best and is cheap for a reason...

I had the white ones...but doubt there was any difference. The one time I tried to use one, as soon as I put pressure on it all I heard was a *crack* and a piece dropped off into the patient's mouth...better than a guy I worked with...he had to explain how he lacerated the patient's tongue with the laryngoscope blade when it broke...

NomadicMedic

If you're not already there, expect EVERYTHING to become "single patient use". Even items that are noninvasive and can be safely cleaned for multiplie uses are now SPU. Pulse ox probes, BP cuffs. All SPU.

Last edited:

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
Single use BP cuffs? Explains why mine says "reusable" on it.

What about stethoscopes?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
What about stethoscopes?
It's common in the ICU's for each patient to get their own stethoscope on admission, and it stays in their room and gets tossed when they are discharged.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
It's common in the ICU's for each patient to get their own stethoscope on admission, and it stays in their room and gets tossed when they are discharged.
Common in every iso pt room I have worked in too

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief

I've never heard of that, but makes sense. Wonder if the ICU at the hospital I'm at does it.

That said, we obviously have a sterilization unit in the hospital, and we still use disposable blades.

samiam

Amazing Member
Last edited:

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Well the two buckets are right next to eachother so I cannot confirm or deny that there may or may not be frequent mixups by people who like to throw things and not pay attention. :)

I mean technically it shouldn't matter, right? :p