Class not making sense

M3dicalR3dn3ck

Forum Ride Along
So on the first night of class, our instructor straight up told us that things wouldn't make sense until several weeks in.

That said, it's week 3 and I'm freaking out because nothing is really coming together yet.

Is my dumb redneck brain missing something here or is this normal when going for your Basic license?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not sure why your instructor would say that. Maybe that's why you're freaking out.

The stuff presented in a basic EMT class isn't complicated. It can be a little easier or a little harder depending on the teacher, but you should be able to learn what you need to know by reading the material and practicing the exercises.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'm not sure why your instructor would say that. Maybe that's why you're freaking out.

The stuff presented in a basic EMT class isn't complicated. It can be a little easier or a little harder depending on the teacher, but you should be able to learn what you need to know by reading the material and practicing the exercises.
Sometimes and for some people things don't really click until they see it all put together on an actual call, even at the basic level. The quality of the instructor can make a huge difference in this, as you alluded to, provided they recognize students having problems and assist them. This is why I'm not a huge fan of computer based learning...you lose the instructor being able to slightly change how something is presented hin order to help someone understand (and I know this class is not being taught by computer).

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
So on the first night of class, our instructor straight up told us that things wouldn't make sense until several weeks in.

That said, it's week 3 and I'm freaking out because nothing is really coming together yet.

Is my dumb redneck brain missing something here or is this normal when going for your Basic license?

Have you been reading the textbook and making sure you understand the content prior to class?

Aprz

Forum Deputy Chief
What's not making sense? Maybe we can help? I would imagine at week 3, you guys probably haven't covered a lot. Like isn't generally the first couple of weeks on safety, history of EMS, and legal stuff? Lol. I imagine you guys haven't talked about much else.

OP
M

M3dicalR3dn3ck

Forum Ride Along
Have you been reading the textbook and making sure you understand the content prior to class?
Yes, the concepts make sense individually, but I'm finding that putting all the individual stuff together is difficult until a skill is added in.

What's not making sense? Maybe we can help? I would imagine at week 3, you guys probably haven't covered a lot. Like isn't generally the first couple of weeks on safety, history of EMS, and legal stuff? Lol. I imagine you guys haven't talked about much else.
Yeah, legal stuff and safety were the first week. Then comms, etc. Then we got into the human body stuff and moving patients.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, the concepts make sense individually, but I'm finding that putting all the individual stuff together is difficult until a skill is added in.
Makes sense - the labs / skills sessions will help integrate knowledge. Once you get deeper into skills, trying them out will likely assist.
I wouldn't worry so much right now, try testing yourself on the materials you have studied so far and see how you do on a practice quiz or exam.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Makes sense - the labs / skills sessions will help integrate knowledge. Once you get deeper into skills, trying them out will likely assist.
I wouldn't worry so much right now, try testing yourself on the materials you have studied so far and see how you do on a practice quiz or exam.
Just to build on the above suggestion, try forming a study group with other students who are having similar problems. Each of you can take turns asking and answering questions, then practice skill stations as a group to reinforce what you're learning.