Childrens Drawings

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ECC+May 24 2005, 11:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ECC @ May 24 2005, 11:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@May 24 2005, 05:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt
@May 23 2005, 01:19 PM
Jam packed - PS, we got a Hurst tool now!  woohoo!  20th century, here we come!  Oh wait, it's the 21st already...

I had to gatorwrestle the Chiefs for space for medical equipment on 1...

I still like Sawzalls and hi-life jacks.
Enter the 20th century...there are alot of cool toys to be had out there. ;) [/b][/quote]
Yeah, but what works better than a pair of high-lift jacks to stabalize a car on its roof?

I love the gas-powered sawzall.
I remember a demonstration on my EMT class's VRT day that involved 1 instructor cutting one side A, B, C posts, and the other side C post with a gas sawzall before 2 instructors with the Hurst (already set up) had cut their side "A" post. I've seen it used several times when we've had "Hurst issues" with the same effect. Fast extrication tool, perfect but for the little issue of fumes....

Jon

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+May 25 2005, 12:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ May 25 2005, 12:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ECC@May 24 2005, 11:03 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt
Jam packed - PS, we got a Hurst tool now!  woohoo!  20th century, here we come!  Oh wait, it's the 21st already...

Enter the 20th century...there are alot of cool toys to be had out there. ;)
Yeah, but what works better than a pair of high-lift jacks to stabalize a car on its roof?

I remember a demonstration on my EMT class's VRT day that involved 1 instructor cutting one side A, B, C posts, and the other side C post with a gas sawzall before 2 instructors with the Hurst (already set up) had cut their side "A" post. I've seen it used several times when we've had "Hurst issues" with the same effect. Fast extrication tool, perfect but for the little issue of fumes....

Jon [/b][/quote]
Never seen a gas powered recip saw. Maybe a K12 or K80 type saw. We have electric and battery sawzalls.

You take the SawZall and cut all the posts, remove the roof; axe a space between the door and the post, pry it open w/ portapower; use the air chisel to remove the door from it's hinges, cut the floor post w/ the sawzall, and jack the vehicle up at that cut to roll the dash, adding cribbing as necessary.

Completely eliminates the need for hydraulic generated or electric extication tools. Although, they are easier, and take less time. Besides, this is how they would have extricated people before the invention of the HURST Tool. Only they would not have had the SawZall, just a metal cutting saw. i.e. K12

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
We still have our sawzall and some other fun toys, but the Hurst is really cool.

A fire department 2 towns over (East Northport) won a JOLT (Jaws of Life Tournament) that was Island-wide... they got a brand new tool ($20k and up), a huge trophy, $10,000 cash, and their pic in the paper. Pretty cool tourney to watch too.

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Had a bad crash on the interstate a few years back, a man stood off to the side watching us use our vintage HURST Tool set, one of the first made actually.. He said the set was in amazing condition for being so old. He offered to buy it, we refused, he asked if we'd trade. For what? He said that he would "be in touch".

A few weeks later during an ambulance washing, a man pulled up in a Hummer w/ a HURST Tool logo on the doors. He took our vintage set, and gave us two brand new, factory sealed sets of HURST tools, electric powered, no generator, and 75' of hose w/ electric reels. :eek: The guy was an executive for the company. We had a newer set of tools on a generator, but the old set worked better, so we used it on the tough cases. I still miss the old stuff, but we never would have been able to buy two full sets (2 cutters, 2 spreaders, 1 combo, 1 O Cutter & 4 rams) on our budget.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Awsome!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
TTLWHKR - what's with the new Avatar?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+May 25 2005, 04:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ May 25 2005, 04:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@May 25 2005, 03:02 PM
It's a dancing pill. [/b][/quote]
I thought it was going "oh, no"

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Whoo-Hoo.... 1100

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 25 2005, 01:12 PM
Whoo-Hoo.... 1100
And for the first time in a very long time, I am no longer the leading poster here.

Oh well, I'm still the first one to reach 1000!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ffemt8978+May 25 2005, 07:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ffemt8978 @ May 25 2005, 07:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@May 25 2005, 01:12 PM
Whoo-Hoo.... 1100
And for the first time in a very long time, I am no longer the leading poster here.

Oh well, I'm still the first one to reach 1000! [/b][/quote]
I'm #2 for posting.... Erika is #1 (for a little while, anyway :lol: )

Jon

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+May 25 2005, 03:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ May 25 2005, 03:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@May 25 2005, 04:07 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon
@May 25 2005, 03:02 PM

It's a dancing pill.
I thought it was going "oh, no" [/b][/quote]
It's afraid to be swallowed.

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+May 25 2005, 12:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ May 25 2005, 12:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ECC@May 24 2005, 11:03 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt

Enter the 20th century...there are alot of cool toys to be had out there. ;)

Jon [/b][/quote]
A set of Szczerba-nators (4X4 cut on a 45 degree angle and cargo straps used to apply tension like a lean to) or Air Shores. Learned those tricks @ Structural Collapse Rescue School with VATF2...just a little advanced application of the original concept ;) . And much more stable than a high lift jack.

Never saw a gas powered sawzall either...I gots 2 corded ones off the pump panels, and a battery powered one :( ...that one is not as good as the corded ones.

I dont think that your 2 instructors were applying full effort. I can almost keep up with the sawzall operators in my company....Sawzall is better for cuting the windshield while the Hurst is cutting the posts.

PS: our hydraulic tools are pre plumbed too off a Diesel pump...super fast! ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
No, they were trying hard. They got caught in the door's plasitc trim and couldn't get the cutters free for a minute.

Jon

reaper

Working Bum
Dude, this thread is over 5 years old. Why are you bringing it back up?