challenges dangers and obstacles associated with the proffession?

ph60317

Forum Ride Along
I am currently taking my prerequisites one of which includes english 1301. my proffesor asked me to write an essay on my major. so i was wondering what are some of the dangers, obstacles, and challenges associated with being a paramedic. your help is very much appreciated :)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Working a wreck on the side of the highway.

Combative patients.

Back injuries.

Infectious diseases.

Money (or lack thereof)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Helicopter crashes

BEorP

Forum Captain
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Organizational stressors that are quite prevalent in many EMS services

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Disruption to your circadian rhythms due to interrupted sleep. The job can take it's toll on your marriage, your family, and your general quality of life due to having to work nights, weekends, holidays, 24 hour shifts, or even 48's and 72's. The pay can be low depending on where you live. Many work OT or have a second EMS job in addition to the first. Some departments force employees to work mandatory OT on a regular basis, which negatively affects their life as above.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Driving in blizzards and other less than ideal conditions.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'd say the biggest danger comes from the members of EMS themselves. To many of us are so focused on helping the patient that we forget to take care of ourselves first. Physically, mentally, emotionally, and situationally (scene safety) we are the biggest danger to ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Danger from aggressive/intoxicated/mentally ill patients
Danger from environment (traffic/fuel/infectious diseases)
Maintaining a healthy work-life balance
Continuing education as protocols change and new skills/drugs added
Legal aspects including privacy law, DNRs and litigation

certguy

Forum Captain
All the above plus burnout&PTSD.Unfortunately,I experienced it back when it wasn't macho to get help and there weren't the resources we have today.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
the most dangerous thing is silence about the things that rip your understandings of life and yourself to shreds.

Madmedic780

Forum Crew Member
Patients