Certs for EMT-Basic

soalabamaEMT

Forum Ride Along
Can someone please tell me if there are any certs that I can get as an EMT basic other than ITLS? Thanks.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I can tell you one big cert you should get...

Your paramedic cert.

OP
OP
S

soalabamaEMT

Forum Ride Along
LOL, I am working on that. But I am somewhat of an over achiever. I just want to be the best I can be.

I can tell you one big cert you should get...

Your paramedic cert.

Epi-do

I see dead people
LOL, I am working on that. But I am somewhat of an over achiever. I just want to be the best I can be.

Then don't collect certs. Find a school that offers a degree program and enroll in that instead. All that alphabet soup, and training measured in hours really doesn't do you much good when it comes to talking about real education.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If you are already working on being a paramedic, then it seems to me that you were already "the best you could (currently) be", therefore it is time for your next adventure.

Being that you are now or soon to be a paramedic student, then you are no longer being the best you can be until you complete it.

Once you complete it along with all those alphabet soup courses you so desire, then it is up to you to continue being the best you can be by staying current in EMS studies.

However, this will not lead you to being the best you can be as you will rapidly be dismayed at how in shambles the system is and being the overachiever you are, you will then move on to a higher level of licensure, again forcing yourself to no longer be the best you can be until such time when your new course of study is completed.

:)

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
We could just answer his question, ya know.

If you want to go for medic then I suggest (other than college courses like A&P) go for ACLS. Even consider going for ACLS Instructor.

Also to PALS, ITLS and some others. Maybe also BLS Instructor.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
PHTLS - Prehospital Trauma Life Support
BDLS/ADLS - Basic Disaster Life Support / Advanced Disaster Life Support (both available to basics)
EKG / EKG 12 Lead
PEPP - Pediatric Education for Prehospital Professionals

Sasha

Forum Chief

Hmm.. I'm confused. I think everyone before you also answered his question and advised him which cert(s) they feel he should get. I don't think anyone has been outwardly nasty.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

If you want to go for medic then I suggest (other than college courses like A&P) go for ACLS. Even consider going for ACLS Instructor.

ACLS for basics? Instructor level as a basic for ACLS & ITLS, I don't think so.

R/r 911

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
The question to ask yourself here is this: Are you looking for education, or are you just looking for "certs' for your wallet? The two are not synonymous. You come to me looking for a job with a pocket full of "certs", but haven't bothered to sit down for an A&P course yet, and I'm not going to be even mildly impressed.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

I thought we did answer. I presume since we are not the same individual, then our answers may vary. Since the poster did ask to a general forum, then it is assumed he/she will get varied answers.

Just because you do not agree with what is written thus far, by no means makes us incorrect.

And bare in mind, you yourself did not answer the question. You listed things to be obtained after an ALS level of education is obtained, with the exception of BLS instructor. The original question was what should be obtained at the basic level.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Here are some that would be useful, if you can find the classes ;)
PHTLS- Prehospital Trauma Life Support
AMLS- Advanced Medical Life Support
ABLS- Advanced Burn Life Support
EPC- Emergency Pediatric Care
AHLS- Advanced Hazmat Life Support
And you should learn these two in Intermediate school
ACLS- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
PALS- Pediatric Advanced Life Support
All of these are Basic (except ACLS and PALS) and Paramedic level courses, and put you a few steps ahead of others in Paramedic school. But it will not replace a solid Paramedic education. But they do make you feel special when people ask for a copy of your cards and you have two pages of them :D