Cell Phones Any Recommendations?

OP
OP
F

Freddy_NYC

Forum Probie
jtpaintball70: Epocrates and Skyscape - what a great Idea! have you thought of an iphone?

hrmeeks: thank you I'll check it out! thanks

Scout: Checked out Land Rover phone and OMG! it looks like a BEAST! It kinda reminds me of a tuff looking a ladybug larve. only a cybernetic version and a lot bigger.

emt1994: Att has three rugged phones in which one do you have?

Jon: the otterbox is truly an amazing piece of equip. and it somehow but does it fitin your bdu pocket?

Thank you for all your replys.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I have a Blackberry 8330 Curve in an Otter Box defender case. It does EVERYTHING. I have all the ER numbers in there as well as Epocrates, Skyscape, internet, Pandora for music ... I can tether my netbook laptop to it for internet. I've been a BB guy for a while, but this is the best 'berry I've ever had.

hrmeeks

Forum Crew Member
jtpaintball70: Epocrates and Skyscape - what a great Idea! have you thought of an iphone?

hrmeeks: thank you I'll check it out! thanks

Scout: Checked out Land Rover phone and OMG! it looks like a BEAST! It kinda reminds me of a tuff looking a ladybug larve. only a cybernetic version and a lot bigger.

emt1994: Att has three rugged phones in which one do you have?

Jon: the otterbox is truly an amazing piece of equip. and it somehow but does it fitin your bdu pocket?

Thank you for all your replys.

The gzone is not a smart phone but it does mp3s bluetooth gps but the really cool thing is that it is water proof. we droped it in a bucket of water and called it. still got it works fine no problems at all. it is the unit phone issued to us. I have the vx6800 now but when my contract is up for renewal i will get it again and get the mini laptop from verizon. But you cannot kill the phone I swear

sop

Forum Lieutenant
I want my phone to have a two-way, a GPS, larger texting buttons, a high ringer volume, and a lot of storage space.

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Stay away from touch screens. I have sprint and the samsung instinct... I have gone though 3 phones. Stupid touch screen is finickie which for me doesn't lead to good things. I have anger management issues and when my phones don't work they end up against a wall or 30 yards down the street.

sop.... for two way capabilities you will need to have the same service as who ever you are trying to two way. Ie. sprint/nextel to sprint/nextel att to att and so on and so forth. Unfortunately you can't cross service to service or atleast thats what they told me when I asked....

Smart phones are nice I personally will never go back to a regular phone. I need a qwerty because I txt so effing much. So basically what I am saying I guess is..... what do you need it for? will you txt, talk alot, surf the internet(look up naughty web sites), email, navigation. ask yourself all these questions and then look at your options. But if you aren't going to use all of the options on an Iphone then I wouldn't recomend spending the money....

Sasha

Forum Chief
I have anger management issues and when my phones don't work they end up against a wall or 30 yards down the street.

I would hate to be someone who got you angry!

Touch screens are great, if you have small fingers or have a stylus capable phone.

TotowaEMT

Forum Probie
Nextel i315..rugged phones..1 in each truck

i315.gif

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If you can get that mad over a cell phone, you don't need to be in EMS. Stop now! Get some professional help, first time you blow up over such simplistic things such as a cell phone, what would you do with a touch screen computer for PCR?

You have temper tantum with me, your fired. Period. There are too many that want a job without the drama.

R/r 911

Sasha

Forum Chief
If you can get that mad over a cell phone, you don't need to be in EMS. Stop now! Get some professional help, first time you blow up over such simplistic things such as a cell phone, what would you do with a touch screen computer for PCR?

You have temper tantum with me, your fired. Period. There are too many that want a job without the drama.

R/r 911

I think he was kidding?

OP
OP
F

Freddy_NYC

Forum Probie
Thank you all for your great replys.

LE-EMT: Great advice, touch screens not being so great, got it. What phones are you looking at? I'm thinking I like the qwerty keyboard too. :)

n7lxi & DV_EMT: Do you accidentally press buttons on your Black Jack 2 / Blackberry 8330 Curve ? do you have a holster or you keep it in your pocket?

sop: What phones are you looking at?

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Blackberry's and iPhones have drug reference programs. They are handy.

if you're talking about epocrates windows smart phones and palms can use it as well.

Also several of the major field pocket guides are now available as smart phone applications.

I shy away from that because I don't touch my phone while working with a patient. I try to keep the icky stickies where they belong and off of my personal items.

Sasha

Forum Chief
if you're talking about epocrates windows smart phones and palms can use it as well.

Also several of the major field pocket guides are now available as smart phone applications.

I shy away from that because I don't touch my phone while working with a patient. I try to keep the icky stickies where they belong and off of my personal items.

They're great for after you're done with a patient, looking up meds you've never heard of before so you will recognize them later.

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
HA HA HA..... Well I will first start by saying that I have a great career that I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. I like you rid am in constant search of knowledge. So my persuit of the EMS field is to better myself and my current career. So thank you but I am sure I will not be applying for any possitions with in your scope of practice. So it goes with out saying that you will never have the pleasure of seeing one of my "temper tantums" and subsiquently terminating me.
To clearify I am not getting mad over a cell phone. I am getting mad that I paid $300 for the phone and it doesn't function. So I am mad at the phone. Samantics I know but there really is a difference. Technology is supposed to aid us thats why we use it. Not hinder.

Sasha.. well I don't generally throw people when they upset me..... Thats why I have a tazer..... Oh god wait that will be misconstrewn as abuse of power or something.

Sorry mods got off track. Phones... I prefer smart phones but I need rugged. When I am not throwing tantrums and flinging my phone around I tend to drop it alot or it flys off my duty belt when wrestling or chasing people. I have yet to find something that meets my standards. Good luck

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
HA HA HA..... Well I will first start by saying that I have a great career that I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. I like you rid am in constant search of knowledge. So my persuit of the EMS field is to better myself and my current career. So thank you but I am sure I will not be applying for any possitions with in your scope of practice. So it goes with out saying that you will never have the pleasure of seeing one of my "temper tantums" and subsiquently terminating me.
To clearify I am not getting mad over a cell phone. I am getting mad that I paid $300 for the phone and it doesn't function. So I am mad at the phone. Samantics I know but there really is a difference. Technology is supposed to aid us thats why we use it. Not hinder.

Sasha.. well I don't generally throw people when they upset me..... Thats why I have a tazer..... Oh god wait that will be misconstrewn as abuse of power or something.

Sorry mods got off track. Phones... I prefer smart phones but I need rugged. When I am not throwing tantrums and flinging my phone around I tend to drop it alot or it flys off my duty belt when wrestling or chasing people. I have yet to find something that meets my standards. Good luck

I understand & wish you luck. I too get aggrivated over technology but I have seen those with similar temparements toss toughbooks into dashes and break windows, etc. Good bye career.

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
the original Casio GZ'one for Verizon was the best but I still would take the latest generation casio over anything else.

Forum Probie
agree that verizon is the best service, at least in northern california. that said, i have a verizon blackberry, i also have a 32gb ipod touch which has all my protocols, acls pals epocrates and skyscape as well as webmd on it. very useful.

Medic744

Forum Captain
Loved my Motorola Razor that lasted until it took a bath in the sink and now have a Pantech Duo, so far so good. My brother in law has a Nextel that is REALLY sturdy since I have watched that goofy boy throw it full force at the side of my house and run over it with his truck. Its no frills, just phone, text, and direct connect.

whatevah

Forum Probie
What did you decide on? I have the iphone 3g and love it. Still annoyed that I don't have MMS (can't send/receive pictures/videos) yet, but that's supposedly coming by the end of summer. Constant email and web access is nice, and with the latest update 3G service doesn't drain the battery.

I've got mine pretty well protected with an Invisible Shield (amazing scratch protector) and a Speck "Tough Skin" case (1/4" thick rubber). Otterbox has some great cases as well, one of the EMS part-timers at my firehouse has one, I don't think it has the same impact absorbtion of the Speck case, but it does well enough for 3' drops onto pavement.

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
Apple iphone is great I have an app where you take a picture of a pill and by size shape and color and markings it will tell you what the drug is its pretty cool, also have the emergency response guide on my iphone along with a really cool ems logger that allows you to record all your times just by the tap of the screen which is nice on the calls that arnt serious and rushed... plus all of the games, music and movies you can put on it for down time make it very useful to meee