Cell Phones Any Recommendations?

Freddy_NYC

Forum Probie
What's a good cellphone for EMT's I'd like to get a Apple iPhone but I was also looking at a more rugged phone with a full key pad. What do you guys use?

medic417

The Truth Provider
One that you can talk on to give reports if your hospital does not take radio reports. You will not be talking/texting/etc while driving or while with patients.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
A basic cell phone with a good service. Verizon is the best service IMO.

Sasha

Forum Chief
One that you can talk on to give reports if your hospital does not take radio reports. You will not be talking/texting/etc while driving or while with patients.

But in his down time, he may. Only takes one to drive and most people have downtime between patients. I'm thinking you have AT&T since you were talking about an iPhone, I got a pantech matrix from there, the phone is a little bulky but has a slide out QWERTY and is a decent little non smart phone. I've dropped it more than once, my dogs have gnawed on it, it has a few teeth marks but it functions perfectly.

It's the first "dumb phone" I've owned in awhile, and I was pretty satisfied with the phone itself, I just live in a dead zone and can't get friggin service on it, that's why I'm switching.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

Freddy_NYC

Forum Probie
Thanks Sasha,

I'll look into the Matrix. and yes I'm looking for durability and ease of operation. I would go with Verizon but I get a discount at ATT through my work.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
in NYC one does not really call the hospital with the radio or cell phone. You tell dispatch to let them know what your coming in with. Its very odd.

I prefer to call the hospital with a phone.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

The motorola Q is a decent cell phone with a full qwerty keyboard. Paired with the hard case it's damn near indestructable. Unfortunately it has a windows mobile OS.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a Moto Q. It's nice getting e-mails and being able to use the internet while posting. A good phone all depends on what you need it for outside of work, I text a lot and all of our open shifts are sent out in an e-mail so this phone is really great for me but on a call I use the rig's phone to call the hospital so I don't get mine all nastied up.

Hockey

Quackers
but in his down time, he may. Only takes one to drive and most people have downtime between patients. I'm thinking you have at&t since you were talking about an iphone, i got a pantech matrix from there, the phone is a little bulky but has a slide out qwerty and is a decent little non smart phone. I've dropped it more than once, my dogs have gnawed on it, it has a few teeth marks but it functions perfectly.

It's the first "dumb phone" i've owned in awhile, and i was pretty satisfied with the phone itself, i just live in a dead zone and can't get friggin service on it, that's why i'm switching.

but you're supposed to be studying if you aren't driving!!!!!!

:p

Sasha

Forum Chief
but you're supposed to be studying if you aren't driving!!!!!!

:p

i forgot. all fun is strictly forbidden. no relaxing between calls..

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm on sprint and tend to like the older Samsung Blade. Metal cased phone that took a lot of beating before it died. I want another one.

I do have an iTouch that I keep on my for Epocrates and Skyscape

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Anyone that works and doesn't have a camera.:p

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief

emt1994

Forum Probie
att rugged is a good phone and has a hard case on it its a flip phone and can be dropped without breaking

Sasha

Forum Chief
My idea of a good cell phone is one that is a phone only. Not one that plays mp3s if I want that I'll get an Ipod. Not one that has a camera if I want that I'll get a digital camera.

Why carry all that extra when you can carry one device that does all 3?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
iPhone is nice - get an OtterBox brand case for it - it is great protection.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a Blackjack II through AT&T. Its got great service, its rugged, has a wheel mouse (like the ipod), and a full QWERTY keyboard already set. Just one of those rubber cases though, I lost the back battery plate when assisting in a MVC. Now the rubber part IS the back face place.

It also allows any program compatible with Windows mobile. I'm currently running Epocrates for when I work pharmacy.