Cataldo/Atlantic

arctic2

Forum Crew Member
Anybody here have experience working here? I live in Rhode island and I'm considering getting the hell on out of here and moving to Mass in the future. What are the working conditions, pay and overall experience like there? I know Atlantic is a sister company of cataldo I believe.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Stay away from Cataldo. Hearing lots of bad things about them lately. They used to pay well, but they apparently don't believe in raises anymore so now they're one of the worst paying. Bad working conditions, don't care about employees whatsoever.

Brewster is probably the best private to work for in the Boston area right now, but they are on a downward trajectory despite (or maybe because they are) expanding rapidly. Very clear that they only care about $$$ and don't care about their patients or their employees. But such is private EMS.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I worked for Brewster in 2011-12 on breaks from college. Brewster was way smaller at that time (pre VA contract when I first got started) and Cataldo/Atlantic was considered the best place for a new EMT to get hired. Unlike Brewster they had a lot of 911 contracts with BLS ambulances, not sure if that's still true. At the time I heard it was a decent place to work, decent equipment with decent pay.

Even when Brewster first started they weren't exactly known for having a lot of slack with employees. But if you did your job well, you had nothing to worry about. If you didn't, you got fired pretty quick and I hear that's still the case. The "Brewster Way" was definitely a thing, make your stretcher the right way, wash the truck everyday, uniform looks good all time, etc. Nothing earth shattering.

If I was going to go back in work in the Boston area I think Pro would be at the top of my list.

Last edited:

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
Have you considered CT? American in Norwich does 911 for Norwich, ALS intercepts to surrounding BLS community EMS and also does discharge and ALS transfers out of Lawrence & Memorial. If you're willing to take the drive, New Haven AMR is pretty busy.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Have you considered CT? American in Norwich does 911 for Norwich, ALS intercepts to surrounding BLS community EMS and also does discharge and ALS transfers out of Lawrence & Memorial. If you're willing to take the drive, New Haven AMR is pretty busy.

I started in EMS at American in Norwich. An interesting place to work. Now that Ron Aliano had passed away it's less odd, but still lots of American Ambulance quirks that you'll never see anywhere else. Like those ugly uniforms. Nice trucks though. The QV medic unit is really nice.