CARE Ambulance OCo/LCo comment? Offered position, trying to decide.

OP
OP
SoCal911

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
CARE "might" have Santa Ana lined up, they also "might" have a contract setup for city of orange and they "might" have something going with Westminster. Allegedly of course.

JPINFV

Gadfly
CARE "might" have Santa Ana lined up, they also "might" have a contract setup for city of orange and they "might" have something going with Westminster. Allegedly of course.

Who actually runs Westminister right now? It's OCFA, so I doubt that they run their own ambulances. I thought it was Care, but Westminister isn't listed on their website.

Well, Doctors and Care are split basically along the 55. Given the experience requirments given in the RFP (either 3 consecutive years as primary in a system at least 80% of the call volume as SA in the past 10 years or 2 consecutive years as primary at 80% call volume in the last 5 years with CAAS accreditation), the only companies in OC that really qualify is Care and Doctors. I don't think that Medix has the run volume in Mission Viejo to qualify nor Emergency with the handful of Northern North County cities they have (Brea, Placentia, etc).

Since reimbursement is, "Give us a price for ambulances and billing and we get all of the money from any billing done. You pay for any mutual aid used" and the need to maintain both dedicated ("tier 1" service) and non-dedicated units ("tier 2 services"), it doesn't make sense for the non-OC companies to make a bid. The other major OC players (Lynch, Pacific, Shoreline. Am I really missing anyone?) don't qualify since they aren't primary 911 providers... anyplace.

Since Care already has Fountain Valley, Costa Mesa, and Garden Groove, they're much better positioned to be able to cheaply provide tier 2 service, unlike Doctors where the bulk of their cities are in South, South county. Tustin and Irvine really aren't that much (granted, Fountain Valley isn't that much either...).

How much of a chance do you think Doctors has with Santa Ana?

Do you think any non-OC companies have a chance or want a 911 contract in OC given the lack of other services provided in the county?

Maybe Americare can be a spoiler given their other contracts in the So. Cal area.

Link to RFP:
http://www.ci.santa-ana.ca.us/finan...ulance_transport_related_services_phase_1.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

gumby4532

Forum Probie
Who actually runs Westminister right now? It's OCFA, so I doubt that they run their own ambulances. I thought it was Care, but Westminister isn't listed on their website.]

Last time I heard, Shoreline ran fire for Westminster.

JPINFV

Gadfly
OP
OP
SoCal911

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
Yea shoreline just provides crew and backup rigs for westminister's ET cars. I worked that shift a few times when I was working at shoreline, it's a pretty chill setup - in house.

OP
OP
SoCal911

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
AmeriCare can't handle the volume. They can't even maintain decent eta's for villa park.

OP
OP
SoCal911

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
CARE is gonna get S.A., no doubt in my mind. Care's agreement to stay away from doctor's contracts was nullified when they sold to AMR. Besides, OCFA hates AMR - so they're not likely to give them any new contracts. I wouldn't be surprised if care started to pick up some of doctors contracts as well.

OP
OP
SoCal911

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
It would be nice if it was operated as an in house using their rigs - I'm quite the fan.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
It would be nice if it was operated as an in house using their rigs - I'm quite the fan.

OCFA just tested for ET Tech, i.e. Ambulance Operator, for Santa Ana, otherwise that was a lot of testing for 2 ambulances in Westminster and one in San Clemente.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yet SA has a RFP out to run the system like most other cities in OC.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yet they haven't even announced phase 1 results for the RFP.

On a side note, I knew I should have saved the RFP criteria earlier today, but it's down now. :-(

erodriguez1236

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys, I just got an Interview for this Saturday, anyone have any pointers or any idea on what I should expect. Anything in particular I should brush up on.