Can't sleep while posting

eman00

Forum Crew Member
I heard that MedReach Ambulance, based in Gardena, CA, has issued a new policy to their EMTs. The new policy is that EMTs cannot sleep while they post in the field because it looks unprofessional and any EMTs who are caught sleeping will be written up. What does everybody think of that policy?

mike1390

Forum Captain
Iv worked for some 911 places that have the same policy... but thats because they dont want you missing a call. But yes it looks unprofessional to be sleeping in the rig on the corner of a busy street, it doesn't take long to drive the rig behind a shopping center and knock out where the public cant see you. Problem sovled. MedReach is an IFT company so missing a 911 dispatch is not what they are worried about. Its all about being discreet... or just get plenty of sleep before your shift.

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
Depends on a few different factors. Do they allow 24's? if so, its unsafe. You should be allowed to sleep in your down time if you're on a 24 hour shift.

For 8,10,12 hour shifts it's not unreasonable. The place I work at now is Hospital-based, so we have to adhere to all of the hospital policies as well as our own. This includes no sleeping. Some supervisors don't care, others will write you up in a heartbeat.. I personally don't care either way. I'm generally wide awake on night shift, it's staying awake during a dayshift that I have trouble with.

Edit: I misread the OP. For posting assignments, it's incredibly unprofessional to sack out in the front seat of the truck in public view. If you have to sleep, do it on the bench seat or something...

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I heard that MedReach Ambulance, based in Gardena, CA, has issued a new policy to their EMTs. The new policy is that EMTs cannot sleep while they post in the field because it looks unprofessional and any EMTs who are caught sleeping will be written up. What does everybody think of that policy?

Wear dark sunglasses, so that no one can see that your eyes are closed. Have a book in your lap. Otherwise, you and your partner can take turns sleeping in the back of the bus. If the supervisor rolls up, have a bag out that you're checking or something. Find a hiding spot so that the supervisor can't easily find you.

Switch to days, or find a job where you respond from a station, instead of sitting on street corners like a second class citizen (I did this for five years in NYC 911 EMS).

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
disregard

OP
OP
E

eman00

Forum Crew Member
I worked for MedReach a few years back, and whichever shift I worked, it was really busy; even working a 24, I hardly got any sleep. I worked in the field for more than 6 years, and I would parked somewhere hidden, mainly because I didn't want to be bothered by people asking me for directions or medical advice. Sleeping in the back of the rig is a good idea, but from my understanding of their new policy, no sleeping at all, period. To me, thats seems like an overkill, especially coming from a company that runs their crews the whole shift.

Personally, as a driver (and I was the one usually driving the whole shift, even on a 24 because my partners were not drivers), driving a lot does make me tired, and taking a short 20 minute nap while posting did help a lot, it kept me wide awake and alert for a few more hours until I was able to get in another nap. Considering that, I think forbidding crews from sleeping while they post is a bad idea, especially if there is only one driver and they are running back to back calls the whole shift. The only thing I don't know if they are allowed to sleep during their lunch break, since a lunch break is considered personal time to do what they please. If they are not allowed to sleep during their lunch break either, than that company is messed up.

Epi-do

I see dead people
What's a lunch break, eman00? I've never had an official, don't-have-to-take-runs, off the clock lunch break since working EMS.

Every company I have worked for has had a "no sleeping" policy, with the exception of 24 hour shifts. Most places realized that it was going to happen, and as long as you were discreet about it and didn't blow runs, nothing was ever said.

Lol, it's California......IFT units post everywhere. Especially in Socal, where the owners would rather pay for a shiny new mercedes with their Medicare money than provide stations for the crews who provide dialysis transport for people like dear old Mrs. Shicklackey on a weekly basis.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We had that policy at my last place, but as long as you were smart about it no one made an issue.

If you missed a call, IFT or 911, that was a big deal however. On the IFT side consistent tardiness to a pickup is a surefire way to lose that client so big trouble could ensue.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
If you're not blowing runs, go ahead and sleep. I wouldn't do it downtown around lunch time by a food cart or anything, but use discretion.
There's a rule for everything. There's also ways to accomplish what you need to accomplish(doing your runs) without following all of them. Sunglasses. Sleep in the back. Park where you see the cops park;) and the list goes on.

OP
OP
E

eman00

Forum Crew Member
What's a lunch break, eman00? I've never had an official, don't-have-to-take-runs, off the clock lunch break since working EMS.

Every company I have worked for has had a "no sleeping" policy, with the exception of 24 hour shifts. Most places realized that it was going to happen, and as long as you were discreet about it and didn't blow runs, nothing was ever said.

Ambulance companies here in So. Cal are getting sued for not giving their EMTs lunch breaks. I've worked for a few companies that have already had lawsuits against them, and lost; I've received a few nice checks as the result of the lawsuits. I know some companies are giving official lunch breaks to avoid future lawsuits.

OP
OP
E

eman00

Forum Crew Member
Lol, it's California......IFT units post everywhere. Especially in Socal, where the owners would rather pay for a shiny new mercedes with their Medicare money than provide stations for the crews who provide dialysis transport for people like dear old Mrs. Shicklackey on a weekly basis.

Not so much anymore, many companies are actually going legit to avoid being raided by the government for medicare fraud. Look at what happened last year with the companies and doctors offices that were doing medicare fraud. One company in Los Angeles, Alpha Ambulance, was raided and closed down a few months later for medicare fraud.