Can't get a job offer as an EMT-B

Claire Vrooman

Forum Probie
Ok friends I'm at a loss. I finished EMT school at the beginning of may and passed national registry on my first try with flying colors. I also completed an IV certification course about a month ago and am looking into an EKG class. I am from the Denver area and have applied to 6, YES 6 ambulance companies in the last few months and have gotten no offers. I feel like all of the interviews that I have been to have gone well and the oral skills went well too. All of my references have also yet to hear anything from the companies too. I have spotless background tests and my driving record is clean. Any ideas why I'm having so many issues??

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
Because the market in that area is over saturated. I went to basic school and then medic school shortly after and I had a paramedic job right after my school and that was still before some of the EMTs I went to class with. If you want a basic job, move, or go to medic school. Have you tried AMR?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Claire Vrooman

Claire Vrooman

Forum Probie
Because the market in that area is over saturated. I went to basic school and then medic school shortly after and I had a paramedic job right after my school and that was still before some of the EMTs I went to class with. If you want a basic job, move, or go to medic school. Have you tried AMR?

Just sent in an application to AMR today. I want to go to medic school at Denver Paramedic Division but they require 6 months of field experience before you can start.

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
Well, where in the Denver Metro are you approximately? CoSpgs has a decentish AMR operation. What company's have you applied for?

OP
OP
Claire Vrooman

Claire Vrooman

Forum Probie
Well, where in the Denver Metro are you approximately? CoSpgs has a decentish AMR operation. What company's have you applied for?

I just moved to Stapleton but I'm ok with driving a little bit to get there. I've applied to Stadium, Falck, Mile High, Action Care, Northglenn and AMR

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
Then you should either go to another paramedic school, or pull up a map of counties in Colorado and map where you're willing to drive to and then do research on who works what where as that may be your best bet. You may be able to find a rural agency that works 24s or 48s (like Grand County) and work in those locations until you get the required experience.

I'd also look at moving out of state into a high paced and high crime area if you go with route A. Nothing better than a zero to hero getting their experience that way (I did it in New Orleans).

OP
OP
Claire Vrooman

Claire Vrooman

Forum Probie
Then you should either go to another paramedic school, or pull up a map of counties in Colorado and map where you're willing to drive to and then do research on who works what where as that may be your best bet. You may be able to find a rural agency that works 24s or 48s (like Grand County) and work in those locations until you get the required experience.

I'd also look at moving out of state into a high paced and high crime area if you go with route A. Nothing better than a zero to hero getting their experience that way (I did it in New Orleans).

Ok thanks!! Ill look into that. While were at it is there something that I should be doing at these interviews that would possibly help too??

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
Google interview tips, but you're going to run into the saturated market issue. Have some faith in yourself and be patient. Swedish has a good P school and so does St. Anthony's. Community College of Aurora is a hit or miss depending if you have Beth Lattone (she's great) or the other teacher who I'm not sure works there anymore. Very hit or miss.

OP
OP
Claire Vrooman

Claire Vrooman

Forum Probie
Thanks! Yeah I have heard some mixed reviews about CCA's programs. I didn't know Swedish had a P school but I will definitely look into it! My basic came from the Warren Tech/St.A's program so I will definitely look into that one some more too!

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
Thanks! Yeah I have heard some mixed reviews about CCA's programs. I didn't know Swedish had a P school but I will definitely look into it! My basic came from the Warren Tech/St.A's program so I will definitely look into that one some more too!
I'd email Beth and see if she is still teaching. Otherwise, hard bail.

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
The benefit of being patient however is that Denver health tends to pull from their medic school often for employment. So, if you're willing to be patient and find a gig, you may get to avoid waiting for a few years.

OP
OP
Claire Vrooman

Claire Vrooman

Forum Probie
The benefit of being patient however is that Denver health tends to pull from their medic school often for employment. So, if you're willing to be patient and find a gig, you may get to avoid waiting for a few years.

Gotcha haha ill check on CCA, yeah and I guess if worst comes to worst I can take care of the anatomy and EKG classes while I'm still looking if i don't get anything soon.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
How old are you?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Some places cannot hire anyone younger than 21 due to their insurance so keep that in mind. If you know friends have gotten in at companies younger than that, look into those companies, see if they can give the managers a recommendation for you.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
That's what I was thinking as well. Call around to local companies and see what their insurance requires for drivers and if they'll hire attendants only. AMR will usually hire 18-year-olds.

How many of the companies listed did you interview with?