Can't get a job offer as an EMT-B

OP
OP
Claire Vrooman

Claire Vrooman

Forum Probie
That's what I was thinking as well. Call around to local companies and see what their insurance requires for drivers and if they'll hire attendants only. AMR will usually hire 18-year-olds.

How many of the companies listed did you interview with?
I interviewed with Stadium and Falck, Northglenn and Action Care both said come back when you're older and I haven't herd anything from Mile High in over a month. I just put in those applications to AMR yesterday so I'm not expecting to hear back from them for a little while.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
You can't help that you are too young (age discrimination is alive and well among the young, and it's (sadly) legal), so find something to do that will pay you more than AMR will pay you until you are 21. Maybe work on completing your bachelors degree, so you have something to do when you decide to move on from EMS?

The best way to get your first job in EMS is by using the shotgun approach.... apply everywhere within a 60 minute drive from your home, and if that doesn't work, extend to 90 minute. Apply EVERYWHERE. the hardest job to get in EMS is your first job; once you have some documented experience, it's usually easier to get a better job.

Oh, and don't think that just because you get your paramedic you will automatically get a job; most places will still want you to have some experience on an ambulance (besides clinical shifts).

And find another job (even if it's part time and not in EMS) to do until you get offered that full time EMS job. Do something so you can have some work experience and have something to demonstrate that you are responsible and can hold down a job

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
@Tigger and @COmedic17 can provide you some insight of Colorado ambulance companies.

Honestly it's really just timing for EMT jobs. I can't speak for CO but the EMS jem that is CA we seem to get a spike in new EMTs when the area EMT classes are done. Have you applied in Fort Collins? I may be from So CAL but I've been in those areas and I know that Fort Collins is somewhat close to Denver.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
the EMS jem that is CA we seem to get a spike in new EMTs when the area EMT classes are done.
Hmm, you get a spike in new EMTs when the local EMT classes finish.... I wonder why.... :rolleyes:

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Summit

Critical Crazy
Your age is a HUGE handicap due to insurance.
I recommend you look at working at somewhere like and amusement park or water park or some kind event medical service where you wouldn't have to drive.

OP
OP
Claire Vrooman

Claire Vrooman

Forum Probie
@Tigger and @COmedic17 can provide you some insight of Colorado ambulance companies.

Honestly it's really just timing for EMT jobs. I can't speak for CO but the EMS jem that is CA we seem to get a spike in new EMTs when the area EMT classes are done. Have you applied in Fort Collins? I may be from So CAL but I've been in those areas and I know that Fort Collins is somewhat close to Denver.
Yeah I've been looking into Fort Collins, haven't applied anywhere yet though.

OP
OP
Claire Vrooman

Claire Vrooman

Forum Probie
Your age is a HUGE handicap due to insurance.
I recommend you look at working at somewhere like and amusement park or water park or some kind event medical service where you wouldn't have to drive.
I was looking into that but most of them are staffed by a private ambulance company that has already told me no.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yea, age is probably the big issue here. And hound these places that haven't said no until they actually tell you no. I know Boulder AMR will hire at 18 but Springs will not, you'll drive the wheelchair van till you're 21.

OP
OP
Claire Vrooman

Claire Vrooman

Forum Probie
Yea, age is probably the big issue here. And hound these places that haven't said no until they actually tell you no. I know Boulder AMR will hire at 18 but Springs will not, you'll drive the wheelchair van till you're 21.
Ok, do you know about the Arvada/Denver AMR??