Can't find an EMT job!!

EMTbasicGirl

Forum Probie
I am a brand new basic. I have done several applications and heard nothing back. I did have an interview with a transport company. Interview went well. They said I have the job that they were just waiting for my background check to come back. Well that was a week and 3 days ago. What should I do?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Call and ask for an update on your status.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd give them a call and politely ask for a status update.

Especially when coming right out the gate, expect it to take time. EMS systems often have hiring processes that last months at a time, with empty months in between. Hospital positions usually hire as-needed, though may hold orientations by wave, but those are just as competitive if not more competitive. However, at least around here, whenever you apply your profile stays in the system for a few months, so you may receive a random call back. Heard plenty stories of that.

Assuming you know you want a job as an EMT, my suggestion is figure out the processes for government systems around you. Apply whenever you can. In the mean time, find a private company that'll on board you. It is very common for EMTs to start out with private companies. For me, the fact that I could say I was on an ambulance for a mere 4 weeks made me competitive enough to get an interview, which then got me a job.

Drax

Forum Captain
I am a brand new basic. I have done several applications and heard nothing back. I did have an interview with a transport company. Interview went well. They said I have the job that they were just waiting for my background check to come back. Well that was a week and 3 days ago. What should I do?

Backgrounds take time, don't stress it. If they told you "you're hired" then you're good.

OP
OP
E

EMTbasicGirl

Forum Probie
But I'm so ready to get started. Another county ems system has contacted me back from an application but its only part time. I haven't replies back yet because of the waiting for this job. Grr!

tjag1124

Forum Probie
Try to find out more about the part time county system. Some places hire part time but have full time hours available. Hiring part time means they don't have to offer benefits

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Call and ask for an update on your status.

Yep, that's what I would recommend, too. Just call and politely ask for an update. Essentially, "Hey, this is so-and-so. It's been about 10 days and I just wanted to find out if there was an update on the background check yet."

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
10 days isn't very long to be waiting for a background check. Mine took about a month if not 6 weeks to clear in Nevada. I was hired in July 2011 and didn't so my academy, orientation or start my FTO rides until the end of September/beginning of October of 2011. We've had PRN employees wait 3-5 months to do their FTO time from their hire date due to training FT people first.

There's no reason you can't interview at the county department while you wait. Who knows, maybe if you're lucky you'd be able to tie down a FT and PRN gig. Especially at the EMT level if you're supporting more than just yourself you'll probably have to work multiple jobs or lots of OT depending on your wages and cost of living in your area.

It doesn't hurt to call and check but I'd wait at least 2 weeks if it was me. You don't want to be annoying but you do need to show that you're interested.